Thread: Build Your Own 555 Rod Linkage Adapter

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Build Your Own 555 Rod Linkage Adapter

Info on building an adapter to use rod linkage on a 520 or 555 transmission:

Using differential brackets from a 555 and a 525, you can make an adapter to install rod linkage on a 555/520 transmission.
    Download the PDF template below, cut out the left and right templates and cut the 555/520 differential bracket along the lines of the templates. (PDF Posted further down in the this thread)

Lay the 525 diff bracket on the newly modified 555/520 bracket as it is in the photos. Align the bottom hole of the 525 bracket with the bottom hole of the modified 555/520 bracket.

Tack weld the left side of the two brackets together temporarily. Bolt the assembly to the 555/520 transmission using the top bolt. Align the bottom hole to the transmission with a punch for now.

Adjust the right side of the 525 bracket until the pivot shaft is plumb. Clamp the two together and tack weld the two bracket on the right side.

Install the rear pivot bracket on your newly mocked up adapter. INstall the 525 selector bracket to the gear selector and install the linkage crossover rod between the selector and the pivot brackets. You should be able to shift the selector by hand into three positions. Adjust as needed.

Separate the two brackets and use a hole saw to cut a larger lower hole in the 525 bracket. MAke the hole large enough to pass the mounting bolt through.

Reassemble the two brackets aligning your tac welds. Weld the two brackets together for good.

There’s a knob on the bottom of most 555/520 diff covers, grind this off for clearance for your new bracket.

If you can build the rear bracket, the upper pivot is cake.

Cut and drill a piece of angle steel so it can be bolted under the top two diff cover bolts.

Get out your upper selector pivot bracket and lay it on top of your new bracket. Mark where the pivot shaft will need to be installed. Usually it lands just over the left bolt. Weld on the pivot shaft. (You need to make one)

Bend the selector pivot lever so it engages the black plastic selector knob.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5704.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	334.9 KB 
ID:	64087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5690.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	64092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5692.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	64089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5691.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	64088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5703 2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	503.9 KB 
ID:	64084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5703.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	555.9 KB 
ID:	64083  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5701.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	64082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5699.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	64086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5698.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	64085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5697.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	64091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5696.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	64090  
    Last edited by ajakeski; 05-20-2019 at 05:41 PM.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Build Your Own 555 Rod Linakge Adapter

Thank you for this!

Going to be working on this for my 520 this weekend...

Although mine is going to be a little more complicated because it's an 83. My linkage is mounted to the K frame... But after looking at your pictures, I have a game plan...
    Last edited by 83scamp; 05-19-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: added info

Post photos of your results. Photos with measurements if you retain the K frame pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Post photos of your results. Photos with measurements if you retain the K frame pivot.
    I will. But I'm going to change it to mount to the trans. Ran into issues last year at the parking lot event with it not wanting to shift due to engine/trans movement in the corners. I hope to eliminate that...

OK, it didn't happen as fast as I planned, but I managed to get my linkage brackets built last night.

I'm posting this for the guys with early L-body's with the K-frame mounted pivot point. The early cars are a little different than the later cars.

The good news is, the templates posted above still work for cutting the 520/555 bobble strut bracket down. You will need to reuse your original pivot pins, because the early cars are tapered. They have different size bushings top & bottom.

Here is the pin that screws into the top of the 525:

Name:	linkage_001.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	60919

As you can see, it has a pretty thick hex on it. I cut this down on a lathe so it has a nice flange:

Name:	20170605_111649.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	60920

I then cut the threaded stud off the bottom so it was flush with the 1" angle iron I used to make the bracket, and welded it on. I then mounted it just like the later cars:

Name:	20170605_221432.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	60921

The other pivot/bobble strut mount was a little more fun. I used the original K-frame mounted pin. I simply cut the mount off so I had the pin & about a 1" long tab to weld to the bobble strut bracket.

Name:	20170605_200004.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	60922

I then cut the 520 bracket per the template, and welded a 1/8" steel plate across it to give me a base to weld the pin too. I pulled the bobble strut bracket off the old 525, and welded it to the angled bracket & the plate I welded on.

Name:	20170605_221425.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	60923

I know, I have to make a new linkage rod for the crossover to clear the turbo, but this gives you guys an idea of what it takes to put a 520/555 in an early L-body.

I'll take some better pictures before in goes in the truck, and try and get some good dimensions to post with it as well.

Nicely Done.

PDF of bracket cutting template
    Attached Files Attached Files

Since the website where the How-To instructions were posted no longer exists, I added the How-To to the first post of this thread. Photos added as well.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Nice thread, appreciate you sharing!!

I installed an A555 in my Omni back around 1996 and used cables without thinking the rod shift could work.

Ever since then I regretted not saving the rod setup but recently bought a 1984 Rampage with an A525.

I plan on converting the Rampage to a 2.5 Turbo automatic so my questions are:

Is the 1984 rod shifter assembly a candidate to put my A555 Omni back to a rod shifter??

I vaguely remember there was a linkage design change somewhere around 1985??

Also, I plan on using a T.U. cast manifold with the offset turbo mount, is this going to be an issue??

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

Hey Randy,
    A while ago I was chasing vibration noise issue on one of my GLHT's. I had put a kit on that utilized the Oilite bushings and the quick connect rod ends. I was convinced that the metal bushings in the shifter and bellcrank I installed were causing my problem. So I looked first into finding another shifter that still had their nylon bushings. What I found is the NA rod shifters are completely different than the turbo l-body shifters. The turbo shifters seem to be twice as beefy as their NA counterparts. I think your going to need one from a SC/GLHT. Maybe a NA GLH might have the upgraded shifter?
    Still haven't completely solved what is making all the vibration/noise, but replacing the Oilite bushed shifter, got rid of a portion of the noise. I'm thinking it an accumulative thing. Strangely, I've put these same bushings into another GLHS, and had virtually no vibration issues.
    Todd

NA shift linkage and brackets are different. You can make it work with additional modifications. Chrysler made several running changes from 1979 to 1983. In 1984 the design stayed mostly the same until the end of L body production.
    If you need linkage, let me know, I have a good collection of cores.

As for the vibration, try puting a wave washer under the pivot bracket before you clip it down. That usually fixed any vibration I ran into.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Re: Build Your Own 555 Rod Linkage Adapter

Appreciate the input guys!!

I'm still recovering and am a ways from actually doing the rod shifter in my Omni.

I've been gathering parts for the Rampage S/C nose/hood swap 2.5 T-1 Auto swap.

I'm getting close and its nice to know at least some of the Rampage linkage can work!!

I'll be posting again with pics once the Rampage is stripped.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada