Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doug Demuro thoughts on the Caliber SRT4

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Doug Demuro thoughts on the Caliber SRT4

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesismachine View Post
    All you had to do was mention Doug to completely remove any credibility in whatever article you're referencing. That dude is a penis.
    I hear ya. There is basically no reviews or talk of the CSRT on YouTube though, at least from the bigger name YT guys. Doug Demuro mostly talks about cars nobody can afford like Ferraris and AMGs. Yawn.

I've put nearly 3000 miles on my CSRT this month and it has been awesome. Finally passed the 50k mark and it still stomps!

turbo addict

I never really gave any thought to TM's after the daytona died
    neons ect eah , whatever

then a couple of weeks back I pulled up along side a nice copper coloured caliber

DEFINATELY not a stocker

so .. I "raced" it

not to shabby .. I jumped him as he had no clue "it was on" lol

& my modded 01 f150 isn't the 260 hp slouch it started out as , now

so I had a pretty good measureing stick on him as he passed my as he put it into third
    and then that caliber just ###### right off

and it was down a nice steep hill to boot so we both got moving really fast really quick

cool car , nice , but I still don't want one

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    The Neon drivetrain is much easier and personally I think it's a better platform.
    I did a lot of research on the World Engine platform because I wanted to stuff the n/a 2.4 into my Neon. They're crazy cheap and you'd gain VVT. But there is just nothing in common between those and anything that came before it. The CSRT-4 engine is no exception.

The earlier 2.4L engine... I won't go off-topic with a huge list of reasons why I like it better than the World 2.4 turbo. I've got my Daytona in the parking lot with 57k hard miles on "an old Stratus engine", working wonderfully with a 555.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    I did a lot of research on the World Engine platform because I wanted to stuff the n/a 2.4 into my Neon. They're crazy cheap and you'd gain VVT. But there is just nothing in common between those and anything that came before it. The CSRT-4 engine is no exception.

The earlier 2.4L engine... I won't go off-topic with a huge list of reasons why I like it better than the World 2.4 turbo. I've got my Daytona in the parking lot with 57k hard miles on "an old Stratus engine", working wonderfully with a 555.
    I have virtually no experience with the earlier 2.4L Turbo (Neon SRT engine). But damn I am impressed with the later 'World' 2.4L Turbo in the Caliber. I often wish I could transplant it into my SL, but the wiring and electronics would be a nightmare. The cylinder head is similar to the Masi 16v (cam-over-buckets) so I did that instead. It won't compete with my Caliber SRT as long as I have that tiny IHI turbo on it though. The Caliber came with a big Mitsu 20g and it hauls --- at 16 psi compared to my 'old' cars!

turbo addict

The 2.0/2.4l n/a world engine is, in my opinion, the most durable and reliable engine Chrysler has made since the slant 6 and 4.0l. When I worked at the dealer, it was relatively common to see them with 300-500k miles. In my 6 years there, I never saw an internal failure (not counting people driving through a lake and sucking up water).

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    The CVT is garbage. My Patriot ain't winning any races either. I think being AWD really saps a lot of your power. I drove a fwd 2.0 5 speed Patriot and I thought it felt as quick or quicker than my 2.4l. I used to be able to chirp the tires first to second shift but that stopped when I put all terrains on it.
    I recently rented a Jeep Compass on a work trip, and it seems as though the CVT has been reprogrammed to simulate a traditional automatic trans under most circumstances. It was a much better driving experience than I was used to with the CVT.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I recently rented a Jeep Compass on a work trip, and it seems as though the CVT has been reprogrammed to simulate a traditional automatic trans under most circumstances. It was a much better driving experience than I was used to with the CVT.
    Depending on if it's a 2.0 or 2.4 that compass could have had a Hyundai 6 speed auto. AFAIK the 2.0 fwd is CVT and so is the the trail rated 4x4 version with freedom ride 2.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Depending on if it's a 2.0 or 2.4 that compass could have had a Hyundai 6 speed auto. AFAIK the 2.0 fwd is CVT and so is the the trail rated 4x4 version with freedom ride 2.
    I do not know what engine it had but it was definitely 4/AWD. It seemed to react to like the old CVT when on heavy throttle.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I do not know what engine it had but it was definitely 4/AWD. It seemed to react to like the old CVT when on heavy throttle.
    Could be either if it's 4wd. If it had trail rated badges it would be CVT. The trail rated version has a higher final drive ratio in the CVT for better crawling.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

If this Hyundai 6-speed is the same one that I've had in a few rental cars (Forte, Rio, Accent, etc), then it is excellent. The thing actually downshifts on decel, doesn't try to shove itself into overdrive by the time you're at 20mph, and gear-hunting is extremely rare.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    If this Hyundai 6-speed is the same one that I've had in a few rental cars (Forte, Rio, Accent, etc), then it is excellent. The thing actually downshifts on decel, doesn't try to shove itself into overdrive by the time you're at 20mph, and gear-hunting is extremely rare.
    Could be. AFAIK the dart, Patriot, compass and maybe the new gen compass uses it. Seemed decent.

Pretty much. I lose my own credibility with him with every video. His latest was a video about how the Ferrari F40 really is worth 1.5 Million Dollars. I wouldn't be caught dead driving that. I guess a Testarrossa would be a little worse. Gads.

YouTube car guy channels are frustrating because they are so misleading especially with their thumbnails. It is pure clickbait. There are a few exceptions like Cleetus though.
    Last edited by iTurbo; 08-02-2017 at 06:09 PM.

I'll have to get a picture of the huge pile of parts I have for the Caliber. I just discovered my front struts are finally shot after 50k miles so it looks like some BC Coilovers are in order.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I'll have to get a picture of the huge pile of parts I have for the Caliber. I just discovered my front struts are finally shot after 50k miles so it looks like some BC Coilovers are in order.
    That's right about the mileage where mine were replaced. The right front was leaking so badly it was leaving puddles on my shop floor. For better or worse though, I replaced them with factory Mopar units.

turbo addict

I believe they are made by sachs.

That's right about the mileage where mine were replaced. The right front was leaking so badly it was leaving puddles on my shop floor. For better or worse though, I replaced them with factory Mopar units.
    I always inspect everything under the car every 5000 miles when I change the oil/filter and rotate the tires. It must have gotten really bad recently, but I have also put over 2000 miles on it driving back and forth from WY to MN a couple times in July.

The passenger side is really bad. The strut body is coated with grimy oil and road debris. The driver side looks like it just started leaking. The rears still look fine.

I really want to lower it though, because CSRTs just look so much better planted IMHO. Maybe even get some Enkei NT03+M wheels.

I briefly considered dropping mine but I'm already on my third splash panel behind the nose.

I briefly considered dropping mine but I'm already on my third splash panel behind the nose.
    Have you been using the stock splash shield as a replacement? I found mine broken and and missing huge chunks and I could swear it was never hit by anything very early on in my ownership of the car. I think it was broken on a test drive even though it only had less than 100 miles on it when I picked it up in '09 ('08 model year).

I got an aluminum splash shield replacement from Gizmos Retrofits (later Inline Carbon), but I think they are out of business now. It's fits great and is holding up great.

Yeah, I looked for the aluminum one, but no luck. The factory one is surprisingly inexpensive, and I've been very careful with this one. 14 months and counting.

What kind of brakes do you have on your car Adam? Any problems?

Almost since day one the brakes on my CSRT are the worst part of my car. Sure they are 4 wheel disc and very large, but they make a ton dust and pulsate despite having them resurfaced twice. I only just passed 50k miles but it is so bad the car shudders slowing down on an off-ramp and I usually decel in gear to mitigate it more than usual. Even after resurfacing, it just comes back.

I have a new set of rotors and Hawk HPS pads so I'm hoping that will fix it. The stock brakes are terrible IMO!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast