Thread: Looking for a Socketed SBEC for 1989 Lebaron

Garrett booster

Looking for a Socketed SBEC for 1989 Lebaron

Hello all. Been a while since I was here but my project is finally staring back up. Ok I need a socketed computer for my lebaron. Just for clarity my car is an 89 automatic (now a manual) gonna start getting used to using the mp tuner and have a member tune for me. I can certainly do most of it but truthly I like having others with experience make things easier for me. So shoot me with what you have. Even willing to try a unit that has already been tuned. Thanks for looking and let me know what you have!

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Looking for a Socketed SBEC for 1989 Lebaron

Need to clarify a little bit. Unless somebody re-wired your car, an 89 will be SMEC, not SBEC. 1 letter, but major difference in ECU.

Garrett booster

Yes sir you are correct my mistake had a brain squeez I guess!! I do need an SMEC computer.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh SHOOT! Your are absolutely correct and I knew that 😂 Yes it's is SMEC!! So for all who are looking at this I need an SMEC that is socketed or might consider paying for mine to be done. I just don't wanna send it out and it take weeks to get back. I certainly can appreciate that it isn't an easy thing. I just wann finally get this thing rolling. One other thing if anyone can answer this. I'm willing to buy a FWD unit and then get a chip replacement or it flashes if those units have that ability. It sure as I haven't GM found a clear answer yet. Thanks again!!

- - - Updated - - -

Dang it, sorry my phone glitched and posted two responses. I thought the longer one didn't make it so I went with a short answer!! Thanks again all for looking

turbo addict

You looking at doing your own chip? As of now the only vendor is FWD but the if you are decent with a soldering iron, you can do it yourself. But you will need chips and a chip burner, or a flashable chip unit.

Mitsu booster

FWD Performance's SMECs are all socketed.

Garrett booster

Ok, looks like I'll get an FWD unit already ready then see about getting a chip and burning a tune. I'm sure if taken the time I could soider my own but I'd like it to just be done right and ready. Then I can have a member here set me up with a custom tune should I need it and make this thing run nice. Thanks to all.