Thread: Calling all van people-fuel gauge problem

Garrett booster

Calling all van people-fuel gauge problem

I'm having trouble with the fuel gauge in my 87' Voyager. It rests way below "E" and is not functional. I have narrowed the problem down to something between the blue wire under the scuff panel and the blue/yellow wire going to the cluster connector. There is a big gray connector under the dash that has several plugs in it. One plug has a blue/yellow wire but there is no continuity between this wire and the plug for the cluster. EDIT: There *IS* continuity between the blue wire under the scuff panel and the pin that the blue/yellow wire connects to. If I jump the blue wire under the scuff panel directly to the dash connector the fuel gauge works. Before I go tearing my dash apart and possibly pulling the tape off the wiring harness I want to ask if there is something I'm missing. Are there any more connectors I can't see or maybe a splice in the wiring harness? I'm really not looking forward to taking the dash apart just to get to this stupid wire.

Hybrid booster

Re: Calling all van people-fuel gauge problem

A simple fix could just be to run a tracer wire. sounds like it is pinched or rubbed some where. or split behind the dash.

just cut the wire under at the connector. drop a single wire down under the dash. and connect it to where you get continuity.
    sip tie or tape the new wire up and out of the way.

an "overlay" or "tracer" wire.. I would not pull apart that harness or dash.. you will give yourself more/extra problems/ rattles . noises and more electrical issues.

Garrett booster

I ended up finding the problem last night. There was another connector up behind the fusebox. One of the pins was broken and making a poor connection. I just cut the fuel gauge wires and bypassed that connector. I ended up spending almost 2 hours on this including reassembly. When I started I thought it was going to be a quick fix! Nonetheless the fuel gauge is working now!

Thanks for posting masterjr33

Hybrid booster

Glad it is working man.