Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what's new in the TIII world?

Hybrid booster

So what's new in the TIII world?

What are all the TIII guys out there up to? I'm just trying to keep my 91 R/T together as a daily driver. Latest problem is having wipers that won't park.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: So what's new in the TIII world?

Not a whole lot. I have two 'customers' out there locally with TIII engines I've built for them (one Spirit R/T, one '87 CSX).

The Spirit R/T is running great. Mad power with the 50 trim/stg III turbo and the Cosworth turbine housing from ATP. Last I heard he was running mid 20 psi boost pressure and it is way way faster than my Caliber SRT. We built the engine together in my shop but we've never had it on a dyno. I would guess a little over 400 HP.

The CSX on the other hand....well.....I built the engine in my shop using all my *best* parts. The guy offered me $3000 for me to build him a badass drivetrain.........which I did. A 2.2L with forged Venolia pistons, remanufactured stock rods with ARPs, block built/machined with ARP main studs, ported head from Jackson, ARP head studs, ported manifolds, A568/A523 from Cliff Ramsdell, TU yellow plate/4 puck clutch, Push-Pull shifter cables....yada yada....He gave me $1500 cash to start it and I finished building it for him but he has yet to give me the $2000 that I'm still owed. Honestly I feel kinda ripped off. He has installed it into the CSX but hasn't got it running yet. Doesn't respond to my texts or phone calls either. I guess that I won't be building anything for anyone ever again.

Asa (acannel) was looking into making a BMF intake for the TIII, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I very much appreciate he and Lengel making things for these motors though.

After getting a pump gas tune up to 20 psi done last year that I am very happy with, I am starting to build a race gas cal to run through Drag Week this fall. Street testing, the car feels much faster than it was at the same boost in pump. Plan to have the car at SDAC and will use the track time there to continue to work on the tune further.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Not a whole lot. I have two 'customers' out there locally with TIII engines I've built for them (one Spirit R/T, one '87 CSX).

The Spirit R/T is running great. Mad power with the 50 trim/stg III turbo and the Cosworth turbine housing from ATP. Last I heard he was running mid 20 psi boost pressure and it is way way faster than my Caliber SRT. We built the engine together in my shop but we've never had it on a dyno. I would guess a little over 400 HP.

The CSX on the other hand....well.....I built the engine in my shop using all my *best* parts. The guy offered me $3000 for me to build him a badass drivetrain.........which I did. A 2.2L with forged Venolia pistons, remanufactured stock rods with ARPs, block built/machined with ARP main studs, ported head from Jackson, ARP head studs, ported manifolds, A568/A523 from Cliff Ramsdell, TU yellow plate/4 puck clutch, Push-Pull shifter cables....yada yada....He gave me $1500 cash to start it and I finished building it for him but he has yet to give me the $2000 that I'm still owed. Honestly I feel kinda ripped off. He has installed it into the CSX but hasn't got it running yet. Doesn't respond to my texts or phone calls either. I guess that I won't be building anything for anyone ever again.

Asa (acannel) was looking into making a BMF intake for the TIII, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I very much appreciate he and Lengel making things for these motors though.
    That's a shame that the guy is dissing you. I know you build things right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    That's a shame that the guy is dissing you. I know you build things right.
    He's a long time friend and the economy pretty much tanked here a year ago (coal mining country) so we're all suffering a bit. It's frustrating but I'm sure it will all come together in the end.

Hybrid booster

He's a long time friend and the economy pretty much tanked here a year ago (coal mining country) so we're all suffering a bit. It's frustrating but I'm sure it will all come together in the end.
    Least the guy could do is communicate with you about it.

boostaholic

I have about 3 TIII customer projects in the works. One of them is a 90 VNT car conversion.

I'm working on some 72pph setups for my TIII CSX and resurrecting my green R/T for a possible SDAC appearance. Needs to be brought up from 08 spec to 2017 spec. Billet wheels in the Holsets and bigger injectors and such. 4" exhaust is a prerequisite now for all my cars so that's going on as well.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    I have about 3 TIII customer projects in the works. One of them is a 90 VNT car conversion.

I'm working on some 72pph setups for my TIII CSX and resurrecting my green R/T for a possible SDAC appearance. Needs to be brought up from 08 spec to 2017 spec. Billet wheels in the Holsets and bigger injectors and such. 4" exhaust is a prerequisite now for all my cars so that's going on as well.

So is a 4" exhaust really a huge improvement over the 3" exhaust?

With the billet wheels what exactly do you recommend and where do you get those from? What performance gains do those offer?

In the process of debating whether I should Holset my RT or wait until later. I already have most the parts but I know my transmission won't handle it so I'm afraid to upgrade it until I've got the transmission built.

I talked to my local friend today. He's got some family issues getting in the way of everything so.... But I did get a pic of Shelby CSX #667 while I was there. Not too far off from running actually.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	60822

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

All this TIII is getting me motivated to finish mine...keep posting! lol
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

I just had to put a wiper motor in my R/T, since the arms didn't want to park. While I had every thing apart I glass beaded and painted the wiper arms and painted the cowl panel. And I fastened the cowl down with stainless button head bolts since the plastic fasteners are fubar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    All this TIII is getting me motivated to finish mine...keep posting! lol
    We need you to come up with a 2.5 TIII cal!

Trying to get another RT finished up for a guy in Columbia, took the pump out yesterday to empty the old fuel out, now the pump doesn't work lol. Stupid cars...
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    We need you to come up with a 2.5 TIII cal!
    I would be particularly interested in a '91 2.5L TIII cal. When the SL is finished, I'm going to start on my Spirit R/T which I've already built the motor for. It's a 2.5L TIII with forged venolia pistons and a S70 frankenturbo. I'd love to have something that could run 18 psi boost safely with regular 'ol 91 octane pump gas.

Plus I have all the parts to build another 2.5L TIII, even though I'm running out of cars to put them in.

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	60838

Hybrid booster

I would be particularly interested in a '91 2.5L TIII cal. When the SL is finished, I'm going to start on my Spirit R/T which I've already built the motor for. It's a 2.5L TIII with forged venolia pistons and a S70 frankenturbo. I'd love to have something that could run 18 psi boost safely with regular 'ol 91 octane pump gas.

Plus I have all the parts to build another 2.5L TIII, even though I'm running out of cars to put them in.

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	60838
    I have a 91 R/T that I'd gladly let you put a 2.5 TIII into.

Hybrid booster

Glad to see the TIII crowd still kicking. I haven't driven my '93 IROC in almost 2 years. Got divorced and it is still sitting in the garage of my old house.
    I have been trying to get a hold of Brian Slowe to get the car down to him and have him go over it and perform the usual maintenance. If I don't hear from him soon I may have to look for a Plan B. Would love to get it road worthy for a return to Carlisle in 2018.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMoe View Post
    Glad to see the TIII crowd still kicking. I haven't driven my '93 IROC in almost 2 years. Got divorced and it is still sitting in the garage of my old house.
    I have been trying to get a hold of Brian Slowe to get the car down to him and have him go over it and perform the usual maintenance. If I don't hear from him soon I may have to look for a Plan B. Would love to get it road worthy for a return to Carlisle in 2018.
    I'm in Pa as well, not too far from Philly. If for whatever reason Brian cannot accommodate you I may be able to help you out. I believe I met you briefly at Carlisle 2011. You have a black IROC R/T iirc. Feel free to message me
    -Nick

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by spirit1991 View Post
    I'm in Pa as well, not too far from Philly. If for whatever reason Brian cannot accommodate you I may be able to help you out. I believe I met you briefly at Carlisle 2011. You have a black IROC R/T iirc. Feel free to message me
    -Nick
    We should have a resurrection party.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by spirit1991 View Post
    -Nick
    Thanks for the offer, Nick.
    I'll let you know.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

For me, nada, just a rusting van that runs on 3 cylinders, but hopefully, that will change next year,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    For me, nada, just a rusting van that runs on 3 cylinders, but hopefully, that will change next year,
    Next year is here, chop chop! lol
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast