Thread: Mystery relay

Mitsu booster

Mystery relay

I have been tentatively working on putting an engine in my 88 shadow. (2.2 Cb with forged crankshaft, forged rods and pistons with arp main and rod studs and Arp headbolts.) I got everything ready to crank over to build oil pressure and I noticed a cloud of smoke coming from the drivers side. I immediately stop and pull the battery off and found a wire that got hot. The wire breaks off at what I assume a fusible link and goes into a bundle and then to another fusible link and goes to a relay inside the driver side fender forward of the strut tower. It's not the fan relay or the ac nor the starter relay. Those all have metal case relays and this one has a black plastic relay. I'll post pics

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Mystery relay

What color wire?

Sounds to me like it's the ASD relay. That powers up the injectors, fuel pump & ignition. If you smoked wires to that, the car will never start. Sounds like a short somewhere...

Check all those fuseable links. Pull on them, if any feel like rubber bands, it's blown. The main power for the ASD should have a white fuseable link.

Mitsu booster

It was a red wire that went to a tan wire and then it went back to red. it passed through two black things that I believe are fusible links.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Pic? There should be a starter, AC, Fan, and ASD relay. I'm pretty sure if you jump the ASD relay, the fuel pump will run.

Mitsu booster

I'm trying to get a pic loaded from my iPhone but it won't let me or I can't figure it out. The wire comes from the tan and it splits off. One goes to pin 41 and the other goes to the asd relay. I would like to figure out what caused it to melt the wire so I can fix it and get this puppy running

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Pic? There should be a starter, AC, Fan, and ASD relay. I'm pretty sure if you jump the ASD relay, the fuel pump will run.
    I applied power to the asd relay and the fuel pump ran

Mitsu booster

does the asd relay also tie into the starter circut? I looked under the car and it seemed like that the starter wires were a little too close to the turbo manifold for comfort

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrchriswray View Post
    does the asd relay also tie into the starter circut? I looked under the car and it seemed like that the starter wires were a little too close to the turbo manifold for comfort
    IT doesn't go toward the starter. the starter wires all go to the battery or the starter relay.

Mitsu booster

what would cause that wire to smoke? it is normally a battery hot wire. the only thing i did was mechanical. i did nothing electrical to the car when the engine was out. i can hook a power probe up to it and it showing me ground. its making me believe that something is grounded or shorted. does it have any relation with the alternator wiring on the back of it

Garrett booster

Is it pinched somewhere? Like under an engine mount or in the bellhousing? There is a positive wire connected to the alternator. One of the green field wires is switched on when you turn the key also.