Thread: 93 LeBaron 4-door Shift-Cable Routing

Garrett booster

93 LeBaron 4-door Shift-Cable Routing

Hi, guys,

I'm putting an A543 into my 1993 LeBaron LE 4-door sedan (automatic trans let go after 100,000 miles...all else is perfect) and don't know where to run the cables. There's no room, maybe 1/8", between the exhaust shield and the body. The proper cables for my car are short, and I'm guessing they run through the firewall. I found one "dimple" on the engine-side of the firewall that is in the right area. Does anyone know if that's correct? I've seen several posters who run the cables through the firewall. Mebbe they can guide me somewhat? The 5-speed manual in the 4-door is rare, but Chrysler did apparently make some.

.........Ray

turbo addict

Re: 93 LeBaron 4-door Shift-Cable Routing

Should be the same as a spirit R/T I would think. Both are AA body cars.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Looking at the parts manual, it appears they exit through the trans tunnel, about 6-8" in front of the shifter, just like the G body does. When I converted my Daytona to a 5 speed, I used a hole saw, and made two 1" holes in line with where the cables mount on the shifter, and ran them that way. No issues...

Since my Daytona was an 89, and I was using a 90 A-523(same routing as your A-543), I didn't have any dimples to use as a reference. I drilled the pilot holes, then used the hole saw at an angle to make sure I had a nice oblonged hole to put the grommets in.

Running through the firewall won't work. The cables can't bend sharp enough to make the curve over to the trans. Especially the selector cable. They need the room under the trans tunnel to make the curve.
    Last edited by 83scamp; 05-10-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Looking at the parts manual, it appears they exit through the trans tunnel, about 6-8" in front of the shifter, just like the G body does....
    I see what you mean by the diagram. The cables dip down before going forward. However, there's no room between the shield and the car floor for the cables. I can't even get my finger in there. Do you have to bend the shield? That would make it closer to the exhaust.

Thanks for the tips on how to do the holes. However, I'm afraid that if I went there I'd be digging into the exhaust shield.

Shadowfromhell, can you expand on your advice? Does the Spirit R/T go through the floor or low on the firewall?

.........Ray