Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New person for custom cals?????

Garrett booster

New person for custom cals?????

I have a boost button cal and when he did it he provided me with a print out of what was done. Since then I have went from a ported ex manifold to a TU header, t2 turbo to T3/T4 .63 ar turbo and now have a manual trans, the cal was for automatic. Some talk was made about a person or two taking over for boost button. Are they up and running now? Not sure if I need to change anything on my cal but would like to address it before I fire this motor up this week. THanks!!!!

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: New person for custom cals?????

The automatic cal will certainly let the engine run, but you need to ground the neutral safety switch wire, or it won't let you start it. Once you do that, it disables the cruise control, which may not be an issue for you, if you're not using cruise.

AFAIK, the new owners have not made an announcement yet that they are open...

Garrett booster

Is that the safety switch with the house hold plug style prongs that is on the tranny? Also how would I need to ground it. Leave it plugged in and ground the ground wire to the body, motor or the trans itself. THanks for chiming in on this a no start would have certainly caused a huge problem not to mention trying to figure out why. I appreciate the input !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikes87t2 View Post
    Is that the safety switch with the house hold plug style prongs that is on the tranny? Also how would I need to ground it. Leave it plugged in and ground the ground wire to the body, motor or the trans itself. THanks for chiming in on this a no start would have certainly caused a huge problem not to mention trying to figure out why. I appreciate the input !!!!

The center wire(should be brown) needs to be grounded to the trans case or you can run it to the body.

When I converted my Daytona from auto to 5 speed, I just cut the 3 prong end off, crimped on spade connectors to the two outside wires, and put them on the 5 speed switch. I then crimped a round connector onto the third wire, and installed it on one of the trans bolts on top of the case. That's when I figured out it disables the cruise. I drive 44 miles each way to work, so that was a no-go...

But like I said, if you want to use cruise control, you will need to run that brown wire to a switch that you mount on the clutch pedal. Set it up so that when you push the pedal to disengage the clutch, the wire is grounded, when you release the pedal, it should be open. Then your cruise will work.

Garrett booster

my 87 CSX does not have cruise control. In this case I would still need to ground the brown wire to the trans casing? The current cal I have was made for a 87 Sundance with the t2 set up and automatic trans. I now have the cal In my 87 CSX which has the 520 manual trans. Sorry I did not mention this earlier. So do I need to still ground a wire?

Hybrid booster

yes full ground all the time... the switch is only to set up for cruise.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I would like to know the answer to the original topic..

Garrett booster

So if I do not have cruise control on this care I do not have this particular switch. I looked at autozone and their neutral safety switch looks nothing like what I have. I have a two prong switch. I will look at the trans again but just installed it and do not remember seeing a three prong.

Quote Originally Posted by mikes87t2 View Post
    So if I do not have cruise control on this care I do not have this particular switch. I looked at autozone and their neutral safety switch looks nothing like what I have. I have a two prong switch. I will look at the trans again but just installed it and do not remember seeing a three prong.
    The manual has a two prong switch. The auto's have 3 prong. To answer your question, without cruise, you can just permanently ground that wire.

turbo addict

like said the manual trans has a two prong plug

the third wire was bolted to the top of the trans with a big eyelet terminal, big enough for one of the larger sized bolts to attach it

without the wire grounded it will never start
    - I missed it on one project , "quick drive train swap" took two weeks before I found it and had my "doh" moment

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I can make you a manual cal if you need it. I bought Boost Button out with the help of some members on here, but I've yet to get through all of it properly and set up a work area, and i still need to get some time (when he has time) to have an instruction session with Rob L on how to build and use some things. Also, I'm waiting on JT to find out from Frank what I need to pay to be a vendor so I have been waiting on that before advertising anything much.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    I can make you a manual cal if you need it. I bought Boost Button out with the help of some members on here, but I've yet to get through all of it properly and set up a work area, and i still need to get some time (when he has time) to have an instruction session with Rob L on how to build and use some things. Also, I'm waiting on JT to find out from Frank what I need to pay to be a vendor so I have been waiting on that before advertising anything much.
    I'm really glad to hear this Rob. I'm sure you'll have no problem carrying the torch as you move forward with this.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I'm really glad to hear this Rob. I'm sure you'll have no problem carrying the torch as you move forward with this.
    I hope lol. I've been doing tunes for a few people already, just not doing any socketing and what not yet. I was working on one for Red Box, until it got sidelined by the smoking issue Done a couple 2.5 TII cals, a couple stockish 2.2's and been working on a highly modified 2.2 tune in a Shelby Z that just got a TU header and a Holset And if I can get a few other projects out of the way and finish wiring my Lebaron up, I'll be working on a 2.5 TIII cal too Right now one of my main focuses is getting the V6 code hacked and tuneable, been working with wowzer on this.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

The hardware side is probably harder for most and that's what Rob Loyd wanted to keep in the community. Its hard for anyone to want to be a tuner after a few mistakes or terrible customers. Seen 'Sykes' ecu recently having bad problems with a customer years after a tune. Tune it yourself if you are not a nice guy. Tuning pays poorly for how much effort is often put in. FWD-P couldn't be as aggressive after people order stage 5 cals with stage 1 personal responsibility.
    If someone wants to help tune, let's be grateful.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 05-31-2017 at 01:54 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    I'll be working on a 2.5 TIII cal too
    Very cool!

Mitsu booster

I have gathered around 12 or 14 3lv6 cals (the ones from this site included).
    As soon i have cleaned them up, adding cal files where necessairy etc. and renaming everything in a usefull name-scheme I will post them up hete.
    Since i am not yet allowed to post attachments a little question: where and how would be a useful place for the 3Lv6 bins/cals (dating from '88-to '93) to be posted?
    Maybe a google-cloud-foobar-place or such?
    Open for suggestions 😂

Hybrid booster

I think there is a sticky with cals in it in the tuning forum..
    maybee you can just "attach file" there once you are able to post attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by olk93 View Post
    I have gathered around 12 or 14 3lv6 cals (the ones from this site included).
    As soon i have cleaned them up, adding cal files where necessairy etc. and renaming everything in a usefull name-scheme I will post them up hete.
    Since i am not yet allowed to post attachments a little question: where and how would be a useful place for the 3Lv6 bins/cals (dating from '88-to '93) to be posted?
    Maybe a google-cloud-foobar-place or such?
    Open for suggestions 😂
    Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    I think there is a sticky with cals in it in the tuning forum..
    maybee you can just "attach file" there once you are able to post attachments.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...Cal-Repository
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Mitsu booster

I guess i am not yet allowed to post attachments. Afaik 500 or so posts needed to be able to. I dont know lol

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olk93 View Post
    I guess i am not yet allowed to post attachments. Afaik 500 or so posts needed to be able to. I dont know lol
    You should be able to with a paid membership. You can get a level 1 for as little as $10 and it gives you several benefits and more private messages.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

my question would be as to if or when the parts shellgame sold might be avaliable?

sockets , usb cable and the 2 or 4 play set up ( I haven't yet decided if I'm going to stay lm/pm or convert the car to smec)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast