Thread: Clutch-cable bracket

Garrett booster

Clutch-cable bracket

Hi guys,

I need the clutch-cable bracket that sits on the firewall (engine side) under the speed control. This is for a transmission swap from auto to manual in LeBaron LE. The part is number 17 on the diagram I can't post, but I'm sure you've all seen it. Looks like bent sheet metal with three holes.
    The Chrysler part number is 4641109, and is properly called the Cable Mounting Bracket.

Anybody have one? Please lemme know.

........Ray

turbo addict

Re: Clutch-cable bracket

first you need to know what car the cable you have is from

cryco used 2 or 3 different brackets over the years and the cables changed with each bracket

early cars had a more square bracket and later cars had a more rectangular bracket

the difference is in the length of the bracket when installed , from front to back

the difference in length of the bracket causes the clip on point on the cable to move (where the cable is cliped into the bracket)

this means the clip on point on the cable sheathing is in a different location eventhough the cables have the same overall length

I think mopar went to the longer bracket in 86 but it may have been 87

if you mix up the cables and brackets across years you won't be able to install the cable correctly if at all

I think they changed the cable yet again on the 90 &^ 523/568 cars and possiably the bracket again also
    I've been told you need a longer cable to install the 523/568 into an earlier car

Garrett booster

Dr. Johny, Sorry for the lack of details. I'm putting an A543 ('93 vintage) into a '93 LeBaron 4-door. The clutch cable is new from Rock Auto. It measures 46" long for the inner cable, 29-1/2" for the full outer sheath, and 22" from the center of the upper notch to the base of the lower pad. From your info I'd guess I need the longer one. As noted, it attaches under the speed-control module. I'll also need a grommet to pass through the as-yet undrilled firewall, but suspect I can get one from Ace Hardware or similar source.

I can't believe the vast knowledge of you forum members. Long story shortened, I've had this car since nearly new. The automatic trans gave out this Spring and I was quoted lots of money to install a used auto. I then decided to put a manual into it, and began my search for info about two months ago. As you all know, parts are few and far between, and knowledge is just about non-existent except for a few dedicated guys like you. Thanks for your kind help.

..........Ray

boostaholic

Here is the bracket I have

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Garrett booster

Okay, guys, I've got the bracket coming, thanks to Adam.

I'm gonna need a flywheel and clutch kit. RockAuto sells several clutch "Kits" at various prices. Can anyone recommend one over the other? I'm a vigorous if older driver, well schooled in heel & toe braking and double clutching on the downshifts. Heck, when I was young I drove a Porsche with a genuine factory crashbox. (Didn't buy it...got a 1500 Super instead with synchro box.) (Worth $300K today. Long gone.)

I'd bet a shiny nickel there's not much difference in the various flywheels available, but I'll listen to all suggestions.

...........Ray

turbo addict

Luk or Sach.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I like the Luk RepSet clutches myself. I've installed quite a few of them in these cars over the years and they've always been fine for a mild build.

Garrett booster

Okay guys, thanks to iturbo and tryingbe I'll go with the Luk. They looked good to me even before I asked. I'd go Sachs but cant' find a "kit" for 'em.

Next, can anyone recommend a good book or other reference source that gives the recommended torques and also the conical-bearing setup or shimming system for the A543 trans? Such a book might be a good thing to have handy. I'll use Hylomar to seal the joints, thanks to an aircraft-mechanics professor friend, so that's covered. It is taking 75-100 ft.lb. of torque to loosen the old 10mm screws, but I'm sure the reattach torque would be about 30 ft. lb. Thoughts, please.

..........Ray

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

The FSMs (factory service manuals) can't be beat for most things. You can find the 3 volume sets on eBay pretty easily.

Garrett booster

HELP!! Well, amigos, it's nightmare time. I pulled off the back cover of my A543 today and found the fifth-gear input and 5th gear receiver gears are both entirely worn away. There was no contact between them. There were chunks of steel in the bottom of that chamber, the remains of teeth off the two gears. How this could have happened...I have no idea. The pads on the shift fork? There was absolutely NOTHING there. So now I need these two gears, in the best condition I can find 'em. The fellow from whom I bought this transmission might come through, but I sincerely doubt it. Does anyone have these two 5th-speed gears for sale? I repeat: HALP!! MOIDER! Aaaargh!!

.........Ray

- - - Updated - - -

The rest of the gears appear to be okay, as well as I can see through the top port.

............R

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by RayO View Post
    HELP!! Well, amigos, it's nightmare time. I pulled off the back cover of my A543 today and found the fifth-gear input and 5th gear receiver gears are both entirely worn away. There was no contact between them. There were chunks of steel in the bottom of that chamber, the remains of teeth off the two gears. How this could have happened...I have no idea. The pads on the shift fork? There was absolutely NOTHING there. So now I need these two gears, in the best condition I can find 'em. The fellow from whom I bought this transmission might come through, but I sincerely doubt it. Does anyone have these two 5th-speed gears for sale? I repeat: HALP!! MOIDER! Aaaargh!!

.........Ray

- - - Updated - - -

The rest of the gears appear to be okay, as well as I can see through the top port.

............R
    I have a set. A day too late. I could have sent them yesterday with your other parts. 😔

Garrett booster

Hey, Adam,

Darn it, the lousy weather here in east Idaho has prevented me from digging into this dirty ol' box before now. However, you are shining a light on my project every time I run into a bind. Therefore I will take your parts and will not mind the extra shipping costs, but better wait until I see what else it might need.

I plan to drill and tap the case for a drain plug. Any ideas as to the usual plug for that? I.e., what thread size, etc.?

..........Ray

turbo addict

3/8" NPT socketed plug is what your looking for. Aluminum, brass, stainless, mild steel , whatever you can find.
    Todd

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    3/8" NPT socketed plug is what your looking for. Aluminum, brass, stainless, mild steel , whatever you can find.
    Todd
    Thanks, Todd. I would have thought a straight thread with a copper washer/gasket would be good, and was planning to scout replacement drain plugs for older cars. That could then be safety wired. I suspect your solution is somewhat easier.

........Ray

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by RayO View Post
    Hey, Adam,

Darn it, the lousy weather here in east Idaho has prevented me from digging into this dirty ol' box before now. However, you are shining a light on my project every time I run into a bind. Therefore I will take your parts and will not mind the extra shipping costs, but better wait until I see what else it might need.

I plan to drill and tap the case for a drain plug. Any ideas as to the usual plug for that? I.e., what thread size, etc.?

..........Ray
    Sounds good. Lmk when your ready.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    Sounds good. Lmk when you're ready.

Well, sir, everything else in the box looks very much okay. The only things I might need are whatever shims are needed to set the bearings. I don't yet have the shop manual and I'm waiting on a tool before I pull the gears off the shaft, so I don't know what shims might be needed. I see there's a set of different-thickness spacers for setting the differential bearings, some of which are still available, but until I look deeper I won't know what, if any, shims I'll need for the main gear set.

Adam, you already have my contact info, so send me a private message and I'll comply.

..........Ray

Garrett booster

Can anybody tell me how much wear is allowed on the 5th-gear SHIFT COLLAR, on the inner splines? Mine shows what appears to be some wear on the first 1/8" of the splines, which is about as far as it engages the fifth-gear dogs. The splines look like they're somewhat smaller at that point, battered thinner, so to speak. Looks like it'll work, but the wear will permit more free motion once the gear is engaged, as when letting off the throttle and then getting back on it. Any advice will be much appreciated.

.......Ray
    Last edited by RayO; 05-05-2017 at 08:39 PM.