Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two problems with turbonator cals

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Two problems with turbonator cals

I think some of the templates had the launch control enabled by default (by mistake). The default speed setting is 10mph. But, if your SDS doesn't work, launch control will always be on...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Did anyone find anything with the newer T-SBEC version that made the StageLimiterCutoffSpeed setting not function correctly?

Yesterday I was able to road test a T-SBEC_22_MTX_S-II cal for the first time. I had the same surprises as the OP did and happened to find this post later. I checked the cal and saw that the staging limiter was checked by default and there wasn't any enable switch set. But the CutoffSpeed is showing the default of 10MPH and it was certainly still active beyond that. I don't see any issues with my SDS- no code, my speedo reads fine (not cable driven).

I would select an actual enable switch and test to see if that keeps this from happening above 10MPH. My flash setup still isn't functioning so I can't easily do that.

I was recently able to get my flash setup working.

I have tried both V4.1 SII and SIII T-SBEC_22_MTX cals and had the same results as the OP and some others I found in searches. Even with the staging limiter disabled I experienced the same odd misses through the RPM range as described. I was able to find the download for V3 T-SBEC. Loaded that up and no misses. I noticed under V3 that the spark-based rev limiter was noted as not working and had fuel-based selected. V4.1 had spark-based enabled as default. I tried a v4.1 version with fuel-cut selected instead and the misses were still present.

I suppose I'll just continue with the V3 for now.
    Last edited by Dan H; 06-22-2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: grammar

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

i think using v3 is the best route for now. later this summer i'll try to compare the code. easiest thing would be if rob L would have some time to review the differences.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Agreed. I'm going to try and keep working with the A837_CSX cal for now. I don't understand anything about code so I can't really offer any help.

I did hear mention that some of the V4 cals didn't experience the miss, but I'm not sure which ones.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Subscribed since I'll have a flashable SBEC at some point.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I added an intercooler to my car a few weeks ago and thought I would burn a new cal to up the boost and timing a bit. I have a miss in version 4.1 after 4800 rpm that gets so bad the engine will not rev above 5500. Unchecking the staging limiter fixed most of the miss at lower rpms and Ive been able to drive it that way for the last year, just had to shift below 5000 all the time. Version 3 runs great but I cannot use my DRBIII with it or either of the two Snap On scanners I have. I can read codes fine if the engine is off but if its running it starts surging really bad as soon as I select any data to read. I noticed that the note on version 4.0 says one of the fixes - "Fixed an issue with the DRB Sensor value reading and switch test function". I was wondering if that is the problem I'm having with the scanners in version 3? If so does anyone know if that part of the code can be put into version 3 so I can drive the car and data log at the same time?

[IMG][/IMG]

Disclaimer- I'm no code pro

I do still have the V3 and V4 .asm files open in Notepad ++, set to compare. So I scanned through it for anything "DRB".

In V4 it appears the whole "BYTE_MODE_SERIAL_CODE_DOWNLOAD_ROUTINE" is commented out. Maybe Wowzer can look at it.

Have you made the correction to your V3 .asm to correct the EMR issue?

I meant to add- I was able to use my OTC 4000 scanner with both the V3 and V4 T-SBEC. I'm not sure what would be different with the DRB.

wish i had a sbec to help you guys figure out the problems. i've talked to chromeguy recently about an sbec simulator like i have for the smec. but that would be a number of months out. at this point i wold recommend using mpscan which can scan everything the drb units can and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
    Disclaimer- I'm no code pro

I do still have the V3 and V4 .asm files open in Notepad ++, set to compare. So I scanned through it for anything "DRB".

In V4 it appears the whole "BYTE_MODE_SERIAL_CODE_DOWNLOAD_ROUTINE" is commented out. Maybe Wowzer can look at it.

Have you made the correction to your V3 .asm to correct the EMR issue?
    I have corrected my V3 asm to fix the emr miss every 8.1 miles. I also have notepad++ with both files open with the compare plugin. I guess I can start changing things a few at a time to see if I can get v4.1 to run without the misfires at high rpm. It will be a slow process I think.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    wish i had a sbec to help you guys figure out the problems. i've talked to chromeguy recently about an sbec simulator like i have for the smec. but that would be a number of months out. at this point i wold recommend using mpscan which can scan everything the drb units can and more.
    I have selfishly had the same wish ever since I was able to start using T-SBEC, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by rgl10 View Post
    I have corrected my V3 asm to fix the emr miss every 8.1 miles. I also have notepad++ with both files open with the compare plugin. I guess I can start changing things a few at a time to see if I can get v4.1 to run without the misfires at high rpm. It will be a slow process I think.
    When I was trying to V4 cals (for a 2.2), I experienced misses through the mid range too. They did seem to occur at consistent RPM points. I had track down the V3 files to use. I was disappointed because I had expected to use the WB2NB feature so I would be able to log the WB. But now I'll plan to just keep the stock O2 and give up one of the inputs on the MPSCILink in order to log the WB.

Doing the compare of the V3 and V4 is tedious and some things were moved around, renamed, added.. When I found inconsistencies I tried to forward them to someone knowledgeable for review.

dan, there are a couple things i noticed in the v4 cal i noticed were weird. one is the "ErrorBitManipulation_Table". the v3 cal has alot more data in it. don't know if that causes any issues.

i'll look at what it takes to add the wb stuff to v3. there really isn't that much to that routine. a couple tables, ram locations, and some simple conversion code. which template do you use?

dan, do you have a wideband? i just added the wb2nb feature to v3 so i'm looking for a guinea pig to try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    dan, do you have a wideband? i just added the wb2nb feature to v3 so i'm looking for a guinea pig to try it out!
    I do, but unfortunately it isn't installed yet. When it's in I'd be willing to try it out

if anybody else out there wants to try this PM me.

Here is a short video of the misfire that happens with v3 as soon as the scanner starts to read data. Of course there is no way to data log with either of my snap on scanners or my DRBIII. Version 4 does not miss from the scanner being hooked to it but its not drivable at high rpms. I ordered a chip extender kit so it will make it easier to change out chips. Hopefully over the next few weeks I can try different changes to both v3 and v4.1 so see if we can get these little bugs worked out. I cant comprehend the amount of work its taken to get this programming software to this point but I am more than willing to test changes anyone suggests to improve this already great system.

Last edited by rgl10; 09-23-2018 at 05:02 PM.

does it miss using mpscan also? if not i'll take a look at the drb stuff in v3 vs v4.

I bought a cable from Boostbutton some time ago. I never did setup mpscan since I had access to the scanners. I will take a crash course on mpscan this week and set it up on a laptop to see if it does the same thing or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast