Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two problems with turbonator cals

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Two problems with turbonator cals

I have been modding a few calibrations for my 90 Spirit 2.5 turbo with a sbec. Two problems have appeared and I have done some searching but have not found any answers.

First problem is the more serious of the two. Any V4 cal I burn for my car causes it to misfire severely. It starts as a random miss about 2800 to 3000 rpm free revving the engine or driving the car. As the engine gets closer to 4000 the misfires are so bad the engine wont go any higher. It sounds almost like the staging rev limiter is activating. I have tried the mp cal and the stage II cal and both have this problem. However if I burn either of those from the older V3 files they have no misfires at all. This poster seems to have had the same problem.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=suppress+emr

Second problem is with the two button traveler. With the stock factory sbec installed all the traveler functions work. When I put in the socketed computer with any turbonator cal the fuel mileage stops working. The odometer on the traveler works, the distance to empty works but I'm not about to trust it of course although it seems pretty accurage. The instant mileage shows zero until I start moving the car. At about 100 feet it jumps to 40 or 50 mpg. Another 100 feet and its pegged at 99 until I stop the car. The average tank mileage always stays pegged at 99.9 no matter what. I put the original unmodded sbec back in and the traveler works perfectly fine again. Could it be something in the turbonator cals causing this or in the socketed sbec itself? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Two problems with turbonator cals

The traveler problem is most likely in the cal. You can adjust the scaling for it in there and that's probably freaking out the traveler due to being off or just different.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Does the old v3 cal work ok? if so, what are you wanting to gain by running the v4 cal?
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Mitsu booster

The v4 cal has the launch control rev limiter on by default. In Setup go to CalCustomOptionConfigFlags2 and uncheck the launch control. That should turn off the rev limiter at 4000 rpms but may still have the misfire problem, I am interested in knowing if the misfire is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    The traveler problem is most likely in the cal. You can adjust the scaling for it in there and that's probably freaking out the traveler due to being off or just different.
    Would that be fuelmonitorcorrection and fuelmonitorcorrection2? If so, any idea what to set them on? Both are set at zero now.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    Does the old v3 cal work ok? if so, what are you wanting to gain by running the v4 cal?
    Version 3 works fine. I was just trying the newest version out and I like how the menu is less cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by beaglemaster View Post
    The v4 cal has the launch control rev limiter on by default. In Setup go to CalCustomOptionConfigFlags2 and uncheck the launch control. That should turn off the rev limiter at 4000 rpms but may still have the misfire problem, I am interested in knowing if the misfire is still there.
    I will try that this weekend and let you know, thanks!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I don't recall the constant that needed to be scaled. I haven't done one manually in close to a decade. I do recall that it scaled proportionally though, so it's straight forward when you find it.

turbo addict

What injector size?

Flex fuel injectors running 47 psi base fuel pressure. Over all its probably close to stock flow but my traveler pegs at 99 mpg before I get out of second gear.

turbo addict

Try 2.802 for fuelmonitorconversionfactor and see how close it can get. Leave fuelmonitorcorrection 0

Bigger injectors use smaller numbers, smaller injectors use bigger numbers, you'll have to play with it and see how close you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Try 2.802 for fuelmonitorconversionfactor and see how close it can get. Leave fuelmonitorcorrection 0

Bigger injectors use smaller numbers, smaller injectors use bigger numbers, you'll have to play with it and see how close you can get.
    i only see fuelmonitorcorrection and fuel monitorcorrection2? where is the fuelmonitorconversionfactor table? in the code the pulsewidth is multiplied by the fuelmonitorcorrection2 value and then added back to the ccdfueloutput. since that table value is 0 there will be no correction.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    i only see fuelmonitorcorrection and fuel monitorcorrection2? where is the fuelmonitorconversionfactor table? in the code the pulsewidth is multiplied by the fuelmonitorcorrection2 value and then added back to the ccdfueloutput. since that table value is 0 there will be no correction.
    I only dealt with LM and SMEC, though my number should be pretty accurate. Unless SBEC does things completely differently, then I don't know.

LM

SMEC

sbec code is different. also, it appears rob(?) may have added the fuelmonitorcorrection2 table. does not look like it was in the original sbec code.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post

The closest setting to 2.802 is 2.732 on the sbec turbonator cal. I tried that and a half a dozen more settings, nothing changed. I don't think the sbec is sending any useful info on fuel consumption to the traveler. I know the traveler is getting mileage info because the traveler trip odometer works accurately. I can move my car in the driveway and the instant mileage reading will go up from zero to say 2.4 mpg in 5 feet another five feet and it reads something like 7.9. However if I stop the car the fuel mileage does not come back down to zero as it normally should. The reason I'm guessing is the traveler is waiting on data from the pcm that it doesn't get or cant understand. I might have to give up on this for a while since its just my work car and its a lot of fun regardless of whether or not the traveler works.

i think you could try commenting out the following lines in the .asm file:

Code:
                               7107            ; try to correct the fuel monitor output
       C24B 04            [ 3] 7108            lsrd
       C24C F6s87r74      [ 4] 7109            ldab FLMNC2_FuelMonitorCorrection2 ;temp name - base value is 0x80 for stock injectors, scaled with injectors
       C24F 3D            [10] 7110            mul
       C250 05            [ 3] 7111            lsld
                               7112            ; end correction code
    really would need to look at the stock code to see what's going on.

I'm don't know much about reading code but I cannot find those lines in the 4.1 asm code. I did find this -

Code:
    LC241:  lsrd                ; shift right (d=d/2)
               lsrd                ; shift right (d=d/2)
               ; try to correct the fuel monitor output
               lsrd
               ldab FLMNC2_FuelMonitorCorrection2 ;temp name - base value is 0x80 for stock injectors, scaled with injectors
               mul
               lsld
               ; end correction code
               addd CCDFuelOutput_HB    ; d = d + memory contents
               bcc  LC24A          ; branch if greater or equal
               ldd  #0xFFFF         ; load d (a&b) with value -11111111 11111111-

those ARE the correct lines. i'm sorry, i used the lines from the .lst file! anyhow, try commenting out the 4 lines between the lines with the semicolons (i.e. by putting a semicolon in front of each code line.)

e.g.
    ;lsrd
    ;ldab
    ;mul
    ;lsld

Thanks for the help! I added the semicolons to those lines and it fixed the traveler. It now works like the stock computer does. I will drive it a couple of weeks and see how close it is to the actual fuel mileage. As far as the misfire goes it was the staging limiter. Unchecking it fixed the problem. I don't know why it activates when driving down the road. I thought it would be disabled after 10 mph.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I put the Boost Button Stage II (2.5 ATX) in the Spirit yesterday and saw that the traveler was not working. Then this post popped up today. SWEET!.

Quote Originally Posted by rgl10 View Post
    Thanks for the help! I added the semicolons to those lines and it fixed the traveler. It now works like the stock computer does. I will drive it a couple of weeks and see how close it is to the actual fuel mileage. As far as the misfire goes it was the staging limiter. Unchecking it fixed the problem. I don't know why it activates when driving down the road. I thought it would be disabled after 10 mph.
    great news! glad that fixed it.

so, would you confirm all the changes you made to the t-sbec v4 to get it to run correctly. maybe i can look at the code later to see if i can find what is causing the other issues.

also, are you using rob's flashable sbec setup or burning chips? i'm curious if you have the EMR failure like others have experienced?

I bought a used socketed sbec from another member. I also bought a latch adapter from Moates so I can use the same chip I run in my smec for my Omni. I burn the cals with a willem 5.0 eprom programmer. Unchecking the Launch Control box in the cal fixed the problem with the v4.1 as it was activating while driving at speeds above 10mph. I only have driven the car a few times for a total of 30 miles but it seems to have no problems so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast