Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBEC problem

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

SBEC problem

I purchased a used, socketed 1990 SBEC, probably for a van as it came from a turbo van owner. I purchased a chip with a 15 psi turbo II w/34 lb/hr injectors. Now that I finally have a chance to do something with it, I have my replacement for my totaled 1985 konvertible. I took a 1989 J body 2.5L turbo harness (both underhood and dash) and modified the computer hookup from an SMEC to an SBEC. When I connect everything and turn on the ignition I get: no ASD cycle on-off, tach goes crazy, and with a turbo distributor spun, no ASD and no spark (obviously).

Today I did some further testing, I have a 1990 2.5L TBI SBEC and another unknow, apparently TBI SBEC and a 1993 3.3L van SBEC. With either of the TBI SBECs connected, I get: ASD cycle on-off, tach is stable at 0, and spinning a turbo distributor, immediate ASD close and plenty of spark. With the 3.3L SBEC connected, nothing happens, no ASD, tach sits at 0, spinning distributor, no ASD or spark.

Socketed SBEC has a ZIF socket and one of the clamps appeared to be closed in the release position, I carefully opened it made sure all the clamps were spread, inserted the chip (handled only by the ends), same result.

Chip was burned by Rod Lloyd, Boost Button dot com, who is no longer in business as of Oct 2016.

Anybody have any suggestions? Engine is my 1988 Turbo service long block I scored about 15 years ago running a 1987 two piece intake that has been sitting since Feb 2009 when T2K-CAR was totaled. Old setup was 1987 Daytona electronics, I wanted SEFI instead of bank fired.

Thanks for any help.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: SBEC problem

Silly question maybe, but did you install the chip in the correct direction? It does matter...
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

I installed it with the notch toward the end of the board, I looked at one of the TBI SBECs, even cut away the potting and that is the way the eprom is installed on it. Could it need to go the other way?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

There should be a notch in the socket, the notch in the chip should be at the same end. I can't remember which end that is though.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

This one has a ZIF socket, no notch, I guess I could try turning it around. The SBEC acts the same with it installed or removed.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

The notch in the eprom chip faces the closest edge in the SBEC
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Ok, thanks, that is the way I have it installed. I put it in as soon as I received it from Boost Button so it wouldn't get lost.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
    This one has a ZIF socket, no notch, I guess I could try turning it around. The SBEC acts the same with it installed or removed.
    If the tach etc. is jumping around when you flip the key forward with no chip in it, then you most likely have a wiring problem of some type.

If you go back to my original post, I documented what testing I did, including verifying all the wiring. Either 2.5L TBI SBEC has no issue with the tach and will activate the ASD and fire the coil on distributor input (spinning a loose turbo distributor). If I had an extra (even a loaner for test purposes) I could verify everything. Once I get that issue solved I plan on dropping my 2.2L T2 powertrain in to replace the dead 2.2L TBI one. I am willing to buy a used 2.5L turbo SBEC to use initially and then socket it and use my eprom.

Sorry, I missed the fact that it doesn't do it with other computers. It could be the SBEC. Generally I've just had nothing happen with no chip in it when it's dead though. Do you have a burner to verify that the chip is good?

No, I do not. That is why I had to buy the tune and chip from Boost Button. I may have to get one, I'm spoiled by my Ford EEC-V system on my truck, I can direct flash it in about 5 min. through the OBD-II port.

If you just want a burner, the burn2 from Moates is nice. If you want something more, an emulator such as the Ostrich is pretty darn awesome.

Ok, interesting, they do not even mention Chrysler products. I had looked at their Ford stuff (which is quite popular for the EEC-IV systems) but ended up first with a TwEECer and then going to an EEC-V and using a Mongoose Pro pass-through cable to direct flash it. That system requires 18V power to be applied to pin #13 to put the EEC in flash mode. I will probably get a burn2 since the only thing I would use it on would be my SBEC.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

What chip are you using? The SBEC requires a 87C257 unless you have the latch board adapter. If you have a 'TII' chip; those were only SMEC and the wrong (27C256) chip. It won't work.

Incidentally, you also need a latch adapter to use the Ostrich with an SBEC.

Or, get a flashable SBEC when they go back on sale. Then you can reflash a cal in about 60 seconds from the SCI port.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I believe it was bought from you for a socketed SBEC I purchased from Turbovanman. He delivered it to a friend who was in Seattle to bring his daughter back to the East coast.

I was finally able to clean the label on the bad SBEC well enough to read the PN, it is 5235477 which according to the parts fiche is a 1991 2.5L T1 for an A-413 in either an A or J body. I did not try to peel the label off the chip, but here it is:
    http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f21/1181498-sbec-problem.html#post4347594

Let me lookup tonight the specs for that cal and see if it's correct for the SBEC.

I can tell you; I made the chip, but not the SBEC. I never used 3M ZIF sockets. Only Textool.

The fact that one of the screws on the ZIF looks rusty is kind of an indicator that maybe just the socket/solder pads need to be cleaned. Could just be a short due to corrosion. The board really should be sealed up to the socket base after installation.

Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I checked. It's an old cal. v2. But, it should be correct for the SBEC.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I questioned the ZIF too, I know you didn't provide that. I don't think Simon (turbovanman) worried about weatherproofing it. I ordered two new Aries ZIFS from Mouser yesterday, one for that SBEC and one for the spare I bought. I did play with them a bit, with the chip removed from the "new" SBEC, it would work, and then if you opened and closed the ZIF, go to acting strange. Without any chip it was totally weird. What do you suggest for resealing? Both sides need it as the potting has been cut back on both sides.

I always do both sides, yes. I just used hot glue. It seals up nicely, and is easy enough to peel off if you ever need to get in there again.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast