Thread: Repairing voltage regulator

Hybrid booster

Repairing voltage regulator

My 91 Spirit R/T has developed a glitch that makes the needle of the voltmeter jump around. After doing some research I've found that you can wire up an external regulator to the alternator, but that will cause a check engine light and the factory volt meter to be inop. Does anyone know of a source that can repair the stock voltage regulator that is in the computer?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Repairing voltage regulator

My car has a SMEC. This was my experience.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=#post1116127

Having a open field may cause a code 41 to be stored but may not cause the power limit light to come on. Try clearing the SBEC of any prior codes, disconnect the fleid wires from the alternator and if the power limit light stays off and your voltmeter works, you'll good to go. With a fully charged battery you shouldn't get a lower voltage code with the alternator disconnected. I got my Transpo voltage regulator off of eBay.
    Last edited by marc; 04-22-2017 at 05:42 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

turbo addict

I've done the external voltage regulator many times on both LM and SMEC cars without ever having any issues with a code or the volt gauge

it's a simple deal to install unless something is radically different about the sebc cars

simply cut the two field wires and connect them to the pigtail for the external regulator

these wires must be cut as to disconnect them from the sbec , smec or power module

I've seen some questionable diagrams that show a connection to some power circut but I can't make heads or tails outta that one as it's not what has proven to work for me over the past 29 years

and , it dosen't even matter which field wire you connect to either of the wires coming off the pigtail for the external regulator

I like to cut into the field wires where the plugs that connect the front engine harness to the main compartment harness are , down behind the battery , AFTER the plugs (on the fender side of the plugs not the engine side)
    - then I can still disconnect everything as mopar intended if I have to remove the front engine harness

I've done this to every one of the fwd mopars I've had that I actually drove and severial of my buddy's also , back in the day when they were still driving them too

infact I actually started installing the external regs in cars that still didn't need them as I've had the built in reg go dead on me a couple of times when away from the home garage safe zone

all that takes is a pair of two wire connectors , two male ends and two female ends
    pick one end and throw it away as you only need three plugs , one of one and two of the other

this way you colud add one plug to the wires coming from the sbec , smec or pm

the same plug goes on the wires running to the external regulator and the third plug which will plug into either of the other two goes on the engine compartment harness behind the battery

installed this way you now have the option of using either regulator if both are still known to be good
    and no more getting stuck away from home as all you need to do is simply switch the plugs on the side of the road

turbo addict

oops double post / edit issue

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the great info guys. Guess I'll just go ahead with the external regulator then.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

My 91 threw a code for the alternator field circuit with the ext reg installed. Volt gauge still worked though IIRC.
    Last edited by Force Fed Mopar; 04-15-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD