Thread: Just sharing something crazy

Garrett booster

Just sharing something crazy

So, after the top end of my engine was redone, the gasket between the turbo and the exhaust manifold failed - the mechanic I used was more than accommodating with replacing it with a metal gasket, and had assured me it was good to go, and that he had even used some loctite on it to make sure it was sealed. Fast foward about 2 1/2 weeks - Ive chased down overboost problems from ripped vaccum lines followed by underboost problems that seemed to fix itself after I flipped a vaccum orifice around, and all seemed to be right with the world.

My under boost problems came back with a vengence the other day, and after some investigating, I submit to you the evidence that SOMEONE needs to be smacked in the head. Did you look at the pics? There are three nuts missing from where my turbo bolts tonthe manifold. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that all three just happened to fall off while driving, especially given that the one thats there isnt lose at all. The only thing I can think of that seems to make sense is that they used loctite on the gasket and put one nut on to hold it there and then forgot to put the other 3 on, and somehow it took a couple weeks for the loctite to fail at keeping the exhaust sealed. I dont know. I dont even know what attitude to aproach them with, because while I understand mistakes, I feel like this could have ended SO much worse than just lack of boost and an exhaust leak. :/

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

boostaholic

Re: Just sharing something crazy

Ya know, those nuts are hard to put on there.......

turbo addict

and no matter what Loctite you use, it wont hold up to 1500 degrees... I would bring it back and see if they can install the nuts/bolts again, but if you go in with an attitude they wont be happy, but just let them know your concern. those bolts are darn difficult to tighten though, and can come loose with the extreme heat cycling that happens with our exhaust manifolds, but its still not an excuse.

are you hearing an exhaust leak? if not, I don't think this is the problem with over/underboosting. sounds more like a wastegate or wastegate control problem. does the wastgate arm clear everything? is it a stock turbo? and how much boost is under and how much is over?

turbo addict

to add the gasket is likely to continue to cause issues
    you can get the flanges to seal with a little smear of grease which will burn and leave it sealed with carbon

Hybrid booster

Wow - yeah, that gap between the manifold and turbo will definitely cause a lack of boost! As mentioned above - skip the metal gasket and just use axle grease on the manifold and turbo flange surface.

The good news is that you found it!

turbo addict

I wouldn't call that a failure of workmanship. I have had nuts fall off my turbo so many times it's not even funny. I got sick of it and welded the nuts to the turbine housing and all has been well for a while. I also know that locktite will not work on turbo studs at all, just turns to powder. Not sure what causes some to come loose and some to weld themselves on there but I have had issues with both. Being a tech I can tell you that you need to approach the place calm and cool about it and just let them know what happened and make no demands right away. If they are decent human beings they will gladly look at it again and fix their mistake.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Stake the threads with a chisel before putting the nut on. The slight deformation of the threads will help keep the nut from backing off.

boostaholic

I've seen "distorted thread locknuts" @mcmasters, anybody try those? One time use, but not expensive.
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

so ive got another question, do you still have the "turbo support bracket" hooked up? a lot of people just toss them (me included sometimes) but they are there for a reason...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I've never had the turbo nuts come loose, ever. And I anti-seize mine before installing.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I too have never had one come loose or off. I too coat everything in a copper based anti-seize which is rated for a very high temp. I forget exactly what it is, but I want to say 15-1800*F.

Hybrid booster

never had one come loose, there is no gasket in that area normally. what your issue is now is the surfaces are probobly warped from the leak and need to be resurfaced to seal properly- both the turbo and manifold. when the surfaces are flat you can get a good seal without anything extra on the flanges

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I too have never had one come loose or off. I too coat everything in a copper based anti-seize which is rated for a very high temp. I forget exactly what it is, but I want to say 15-1800*F.
    I'll use that, after swapping engines in my CSX. It too has the turbo holding on with one nut.