Thread: Finally got another TD! This one being a T&C woody convertible!

Garrett booster

Finally got another TD! This one being a T&C woody convertible!

Hey guys! Finally back into the turbo Dodge world after selling my Caravan so many years ago. So here is my new 84 T&C Convertible Lebaron Turbo. Love the car but it needs some TLC here and there (first of all the digital dash). Also looking for directions on how to make it fast but for the most part look stock. Would like more power and to make it a bit of a sleeper. So any suggestions on directions to go to make this a bit faster and for potential parts please lemme know. Like I said I think i'll need a new digital dash. I've honestly forgot most of the turbo Dodge knowledge because it's been so long.

I live in the Pittsburgh area also so I'm not sure if there are any Pittsburgh guys around here but would be cool to meet up sometime.

Hybrid booster

Re: Finally got another TD! This one being a T&C woody convertible!

Love it!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Congrats on the new ride. I'm not going to lie, 84 was a bit of an oddball year. Lots of stuff changed in 85. I'm not sure what all is out there cal wise for the 84 electronics. You could always throw a WB on there, open up the exhaust and carefully start bumping up the boost. Regardless, it's a cool looking car and should be a blast to drive with the top down regardless.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Congrats on the new ride. I'm not going to lie, 84 was a bit of an oddball year. Lots of stuff changed in 85. I'm not sure what all is out there cal wise for the 84 electronics. You could always throw a WB on there, open up the exhaust and carefully start bumping up the boost. Regardless, it's a cool looking car and should be a blast to drive with the top down regardless.
    If 84 was an oddball year I wonder what all would be involved in trying to change the computer to something newer that is easier to modify. I'd love a little more pep and making it an intercooled T2 or something to make it a higher boosting convertible to me sounds like a blast. So I'm totally open to suggestions. I love this car and intend to keep it for some time now. I'll get more pics up as well. Some older people have done some stuff on it I'd like to fix as well so I'm sure you guys will be seeing me around a lot more.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I haven't looked at the wiring diagrams, but I can't believe it would be that bad to convert to 87 TII electronics. The dist is one of the biggest things that you'll have to change out.

Garrett booster

Hmmm maybe in due time I'll see what it would involve. Till now I'll try and just get everything running and working as it should be then I'll start to play with kicking up the boost. If there are any resources for information on these old cars please lemme know. I know so little right now because all I had was a turbo Caravan.

boostaholic

I believe I still have an FM stall converter for the older cars, I think it was around 2800

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    I believe I still have an FM stall converter for the older cars, I think it was around 2800
    haha that might be a bit of overkill at this point in time. Everything on this car is stock so far. Hell I don't even have an RPM gauge.

Garrett booster

Post Re: Finally got another TD! This one being a T&C woody convertible!

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I haven't looked at the wiring diagrams, but I can't believe it would be that bad to convert to 87 TII electronics. The dist is one of the biggest things that you'll have to change out.
    Been thinking more about this. I think I might be able to get a lot of T2 stuff. The main problem is I need to convert my 84 to 85-87 T1 stuff then to convert to T2 stuff like the other T1 to T2 guys do. That being said is there any information on converting my darn 84 to the newer T1 or T2 electronics out there anywhere? I'd love to do that because the car is pretty fun now so I can only imagine how much more fun it could be if it was pretty quick too.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Water injection and a MBC, simple, cheap, works great with that log manifold.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

that thing belongs in a museum..wow super cool..got any more pics? especially of interior an engine bay?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    that thing belongs in a museum..wow super cool..got any more pics? especially of interior an engine bay?
    I'll try and get some pictures of the car here soon. I'm in the process of fixing stuff on it now sadly.

Mitsu booster

That is one special car there, great find congratulations!! I'm in Pa as well, I got myself an 86 T&C Wagon that is getting some attention now that it's nicer weather here. I bought a 91 Cherokee Briarwood edition in Mckees Rocks ( or close to ) a few years ago. Everyone loves to crack jokes about me and my Woodgrain (Brady Bunch, Harry and the Hendersons, etc.) but I think it's the best. Good luck with the car.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

1984 turbo system was all by itself, temp sensors were unique, just about everything changed in 1985. One item, there are even two different power modules in 1984. I had a wrecked 1984 Laser turbo and I sold the engine and electronics to a fellow with a 1984 LeBaron turbo since he had already found how unique the stuff was. If you plan on doing much, I would definitely look at updating to newer electronics at the minimum. Definitely a very pretty car, my convertibles have both been non-woodies.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
    1984 turbo system was all by itself, temp sensors were unique, just about everything changed in 1985. One item, there are even two different power modules in 1984. I had a wrecked 1984 Laser turbo and I sold the engine and electronics to a fellow with a 1984 LeBaron turbo since he had already found how unique the stuff was. If you plan on doing much, I would definitely look at updating to newer electronics at the minimum. Definitely a very pretty car, my convertibles have both been non-woodies.
    Yeah I'll be looking into getting electronics from 85-87. I can't find much of any information though so it might be a challenge.