Thread: 87 Shelby GLHS never titled with Certificate of Origin Barn Find

Mitsu booster

87 Shelby GLHS never titled with Certificate of Origin Barn Find

My father has a 87 Shelby GLHS it has never been titled. We still have the Certificate of Origin, less than 350 miles on it. It has been sitting in his pole building since he bought it and drove it from the DC area to his place in WV. Is there any where I can get a real world value for what it is worth? His health is deteriorating and we will need to sell it. Thank you.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 87 Shelby GLHS never titled with Certificate of Origin Barn Find

Do you have pictures? Those will tell all.

Mitsu booster

I can get the pictures, it has been under a car cover. Just want to see if there is go to person or persons for evaluating these era vehicles

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Such a car with that many miles (low) should bring at least $20K, maybe even as much as $25-30K. However, if it has not been started in 30 years, the gas in the tank is likely syrup, and won't run the car. If you try to sell it like that the expected price will drop substantially.

If you drain the gas tank and flush the fuel system and get it running (fresh battery, etc) it will be much easier to sell and will draw a higher price. A drivable car is always worth more than a non-running car, every thing else being equal.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I agree with Barry's comments on this. Age takes its toll harder depending upon how it is stored. Please email any pics or info on it to jt@sdac.org for the archives

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

I ran into an '87 shelby daytona in a small dealership south of Austin, Tx. when it was 10 years old in '97 with "0" miles that the dealer would not budge off sticker price. (somewhere around 18K as I remember. That car had set it a quonset hut 36X60 building since new and it needed every piece of rubber and plastic replaced on it as well as a fuel cell drain and the entire system flushed. After the owner died somewhere about 15 years ago, his son broomed everything for not much over scrap and sold the property if I have all the facts right. I know I lost on that deal and I think everyone else did too, Jer

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    Such a car with that many miles (low) should bring at least $20K, maybe even as much as $25-30K. However, if it has not been started in 30 years, the gas in the tank is likely syrup, and won't run the car. If you try to sell it like that the expected price will drop substantially.

If you drain the gas tank and flush the fuel system and get it running (fresh battery, etc) it will be much easier to sell and will draw a higher price. A drivable car is always worth more than a non-running car, every thing else being equal.

Barry
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I agree with Barry's comments on this. Age takes its toll harder depending upon how it is stored. Please email any pics or info on it to jt@sdac.org for the archives

I could see if it was an 86, but the 87S don't trade for as much and any car sitting in an area that's not climate controlled in WV will probably need a lot gone through if a guy wants to drive it ever. I think it would need very much the right buyer to fetch north of 10K. Lord help us if the mice have eaten the wiring harness and nested in the interior.

ETA: Depending on the definition of pole building being used, it could be much better than what I'm envisioning.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Lord help us if the mice have eaten the wiring harness and nested in the interior.
    Mice are brutal on stored vehicles, count on mouse damage.

Working on clearing the decks.