Thread: Clutch cable for van

Garrett booster

Clutch cable for van

I'm in the process of swapping an a543 into my 87' van. I'm using a 94' shadow for donor parts(clutch pedal, shifter and cables). The trans is a 90' a543 case with the gearset from the 94' shadow. My problem is with the clutch cable. It's WAAAAY too long! Even re-clocking the clutch arm isn't enough. With the adjuster fully extended the cable is still too long. I was under the impression that the shadow clutch cable would work(rockauto says both the van and shadow cables are 42") but it doesn't seem to fit. Do I need a van cable or do I have something put together wrong?. If I need the van cable should I order a 1st gen van cable or a 2nd gen? Both are available on rockauto but what's the difference? Thanks in advance!

Re: Clutch cable for van

My first thought is you didn't modify the clutch pedal from the Shadow. On minivan's shaft the pedals ride on sits about 1" closer to the firewall.

Second thought, if the cable did not come from the same vehicle as the trans (and maybe even if it did), it is possible that the cable is too short/long (or the clutch lever is off a tooth from where it needs to be for the cable...

Third thought, problem with the clutch...

Hybrid booster

did you measure and see if the cable you have is 42 inches? might just be able to order a van cable and be good to go. or at least give yourself a starting point.
    the same people who supply the "42 inch cable" most likely offer it in 40. and 38 and so forth.
    might just be a matter of getting a different part number.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    My first thought is you didn't modify the clutch pedal from the Shadow. On minivan's shaft the pedals ride on sits about 1" closer to the firewall.
    If you mean the black adjuster piece you're right about that. I found this thread last night. There is a picture showing the modified clutch adjuster. This is first on my list because the pedal doesn't seem to have enough travel.

Second thought, if the cable did not come from the same vehicle as the trans (and maybe even if it did), it is possible that the cable is too short/long (or the clutch lever is off a tooth from where it needs to be for the cable...
    The cable is from the shadow which is a 94' TBI(large spline trans) and the a543 case I have was a small spline originally so I tried re-clocking the lever but to get the cable even remotely tight it has to be at the 4 o'clock position which puts the cable at an extreme angle. Definitely doesn't look right. No idea what car the case and lever came from.

Third thought, problem with the clutch...
    If I push the lever with my hand I can feel the clutch release and it makes a distinct "clunk" when I let go. I'm leaning towards your first two thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    did you measure and see if the cable you have is 42 inches? might just be able to order a van cable and be good to go. or at least give yourself a starting point.
    the same people who supply the "42 inch cable" most likely offer it in 40. and 38 and so forth.
    might just be a matter of getting a different part number.
    No, I didn't measure it. That's a good idea though. The rockauto catalog says both cables are 42" but it can be inaccurate sometimes. It lists a small spline clutch for a 93' daytona 2.2 turbo(I bought this one first and had to send it back) The Shadow cable I have seems way too long. I'm talking 5 or more inches too long.

I went ahead and ordered a first gen van cable last night and I will modify the adjuster today. I don't have the pedal stop from a van. I'm hoping I can get things to work without it. If need be I'll make my own but the thread I linked to above implies that it's not completely necessary.

Thanks for the input guys! It is appreciated!

turbo addict

In the cars they went to a long cable in 1992. The arm on the clutch is clocked differently and uses a longer cable (the inner part). The vans never switched to the long cable and used the same cable all through the years. You need the clutch release arm off an older trans or remove yours and grind the weld out of the spline and re clock yours.

I went through this when I swapped a 1995 a523 into my 89 van. I bought a cable for a 1995 van thinking it would be long enough but no luck. My release arm was rusted in place so I had to cut it, then I used the arm off a 91 568 and the cable worked perfectly.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

My clutch cable came in today. I had to extend the cable bracket because the shadow bracket was too far from the firewall, but other than that it went right in! All is well now and I'm very happy with the new trans!

I also measured both cables. The Shadow cable is a hair over 46" and the van cable is 42". I ended up trimming about 1" off the black adjuster piece. The clutch pedal sits a little bit higher than the brake pedal but that doesn't bother me.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Hybrid booster

perfect there ya go!