Thread: Twin scroll housings, tubular header design

turbo addict

Twin scroll housings, tubular header design

I'm going to start this discussion out with a link to an article with actual back to back comparison Nothing changed other then the turbine housing and the results are rather impressive. So I'm trying to see some input on building a twin scroll header for a twin scroll turbo of about the 400 horse range. Yes I know it can be done with a regular header and turbo but I want to build one just looking for some input. Any engineers in here.

http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/twin-s...-great-divide/

turbo addict

Re: Twin scroll housings, tubular header design

To match up exhaust pulses and such you want to match 1 with 4 and 2 with 3 going into separate sides of the turbine housing. This would be a header on an 8valve. Plan to set the turbo off to the side in the trans area and such

turbo addict

let me know if theres anything I can do in CAD. I have alot of the engine compartment, intake, and exhaust manifold stuff already modelled.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    let me know if theres anything I can do in CAD. I have alot of the engine compartment, intake, and exhaust manifold stuff already modelled.
    Have any pictures

turbo addict

let me know if theres anything I can do in CAD. I have alot of the engine compartment, intake, and exhaust manifold stuff already modelled
    sweet

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    Have any pictures
    Its the environment I developed the BMF intake in and some other projects. Basically the stock engine compartment rear wall locations, head, intake, exhaust manifold flanges, etc.. nothing to take a picture of really or that would be useful on its own. But for instance, to design a new part its very useful to do it in that environment because you can work with all the real part locations and base new geometries off existing geometries.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Its the environment I developed the BMF intake in and some other projects. Basically the stock engine compartment rear wall locations, head, intake, exhaust manifold flanges, etc.. nothing to take a picture of really or that would be useful on its own. But for instance, to design a new part its very useful to do it in that environment because you can work with all the real part locations and base new geometries off existing geometries.
    I planned on having the engine in and everything hooked up and bolt a flange to the head mount the turbo where I want it and start fitting

turbo addict

Once I figure out where I want the turbo I'm definitely going to try and make up a jig. Keep everything straight when welding. Gonna be tight under the hood.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

What turbo are you looking at running?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

If you're doing this just to say you did something different, or just because you can, then go for it, there's nothing wrong with that.

If you're doing this and Banking on there actually being a significant difference @ 400hp vs a properly designed single scroll set-up.........prepare to be disappointed ;(

Like a cam swap, it has been proven over and over again, you Can't gain TQ down low without giving something up somewhere else. IF you could, someone would be rich and Everyone would be using That set-up

If you read that article Closely, and read some of the comments, and do a little more research, you will find that it is flawed. The simple truth is that a twin entry turbine housing of the same A/R Will spool faster when set up Properly (for obvious reasons) but the single scroll will Always make more power up top........unless the test is biased toward the twin entry scroll turbine housing.

So, Not trying to deter you from your goal, just tossing my .02$ in case you were believing Exactly what you were reading.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

a little off track but a thought occurs to me with the twin scroll set up

I don't have the link or a pic handy but on one of the import sites I found a plate that goes between the manifold's outlet and the turbine inlet

it's for a devided housing set up and has a butterfly in one opening that's opperated by what looks like one of our wastegate actuators

looking at the twin scroll turbo , it could be used to turn the big half of the turbine wheel at lower speeds then open to blow into the small side of the wheel later
    - like using the big gear then the small gear on a multy speed bicycle wheel

the big half of the wheel would require less force to turn it but with the TU manifold it would probably be kinda backwards as the short and long radius coming out of the manifold would be backwards to the small and large sides of the wheel

if garrot did the twin scroll turbo in one of their new reversed turbos that exchange the compressor and turbine positions it might work
    (just thinking out loud lol)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    If you're doing this just to say you did something different, or just because you can, then go for it, there's nothing wrong with that.

If you're doing this and Banking on there actually being a significant difference @ 400hp vs a properly designed single scroll set-up.........prepare to be disappointed ;(

Like a cam swap, it has been proven over and over again, you Can't gain TQ down low without giving something up somewhere else. IF you could, someone would be rich and Everyone would be using That set-up

If you read that article Closely, and read some of the comments, and do a little more research, you will find that it is flawed. The simple truth is that a twin entry turbine housing of the same A/R Will spool faster when set up Properly (for obvious reasons) but the single scroll will Always make more power up top........unless the test is biased toward the twin entry scroll turbine housing.

So, Not trying to deter you from your goal, just tossing my .02$ in case you were believing Exactly what you were reading.
    Mainly doing it because I have the tools to build one and bought a tig recently and wanna use the hell out of it.

By the article it seemed to make a ton of power in the sweet spot and about the same up top. Slightly faster spoil. Will it be a night and day difference nope I know this. Will it help spool and make more power everywhere else. I wont know because I wont be doing back to back tests

I do agree with more research most say its not worth it especially for a full drag car. But if building it by scratch why not go the extra step
    Last edited by bgbmxer; 04-07-2017 at 06:49 PM.