Thread: Quick question about MBCs

Garrett booster

Quick question about MBCs

Now that I jave everything fixed and restored back to stock condition on my 91 daytona C/S, upgrade time is coming. I have an MBC, but its not installed - I am wondering if I can use it to up boost to 10psi without changing anything else yet, or do I need to change the sbec, injectors, and fuel pump all at the same time. My gut tells me the stock T1 sbec will handle 10psi fine, but my gut also told me I had to fart once - lets just say I do t take my gut at face value anymore.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Garrett booster

Re: Quick question about MBCs

The stock system will allow around 12 psi or so before it hits over boost shutdown. You'll be fine. Up it till it hits over boost then back down a bit. But high rpms will spool the little mitsu pretty quick and you may over boost higher up there but not lower. Just pay attention.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I run my at 12psi with 87 stock T1 without issues for 5 years as my DD. Once and a while it over boosts and the shutdown occurs at 2 bar or 14.7psi. It will freak you out the first time for sure.
    Just be sure the engine is in good mechanical shape with good plugs.coil.and fuel pump. Please only use good quality premium fuel,
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I've broken pistons on stock boost before when something else was going wrong. At this point i'd recommend a wideband before doing anything at all. Assuming everything is in working order, a non intercooled 2.5 t1 will take 10psi with no issues. But that's just what it is, an ASSUMPTION that everything is working like you think it is.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Well stated, Vigo.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

I recommend at least 2 boost levels, low and high at the flip of a switch.

There are times when the Engine can't tolerate 10 psi, overheating, poor fuel etc.

Start with running a direct line from the waste gate to a vacuum source to determine minimum boost.

It's usually around 7 psi.

Another thing to keep in mind is Mitsu turbo's can be hard to control with free a flowing exhaust.

Make changes 1 at a time and observe!!

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada