Thread: How to ID a FWP cam?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

How to ID a FWP cam?

I need some help identifying a cam. Let me explain..

Last summer at SDAC, I bought what was supposed to be an 88 TBI roller cam & followers. I just gave the cam a quick look, the lobes looked great, so I bought it. I didn't even really pay any attention to the packaging. It has sat in the pile of parts for my motor build since returning from Memphis until this past Saturday night. I put it in the head so I could use my valve spring compressor to disassemble the head. First issue, was the cam was loose in the journals, I figured out the head is a rebuild, and has repaired cam bores(that's another story), but trying to figure out what was going on, I started inspecting the cam closely, and realized it apprears to be a regrind. I then looked at the packaging it was in, and it's from FWP, and says F1 on it. So I'm thinking what I really got was an F1 regrind cam. Now, I'm not at all upset if that's what I got, but I need to know. What is the base circle specs on a regrind, and what is the lobe lift on one? Just trying to figure out what I really have.

Also, it says I have to use shims with it, how thick? If it is an F1, it will probably be going in the Daytona for a little more power...

turbo addict

Re: How to ID a FWP cam?

Call FWD

No one else will have information better than FWD, since FWD doesn't post here often, you best chance is to call FWD, then share your knowledge with us.

I think I found what I need here: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...ml#post3562737 Or at least enough to get me started...

I will probably call Cindy just to check.

I measured one lobe, and got 1.398" base circle, and 1.642" to the tip of the lobe, for .244" lift at the cam. Now assuming a stock lift of .430", and a stock lift at the cam of .233"(per above link), that translates into a rocker ratio of 1.84, which means the cam I have is a .450" lift at the valve, which is what the F1 is listed at.
    Last edited by 83scamp; 04-03-2017 at 09:40 AM.

turbo addict

Standard rollers followers avg. out to be 1.75:1 not 1.84:1. I've seen some NOS roller followers that worked to as high as 1.77:1. They had at least two OEM suppliers. Pivoting followers operate around a pivot point. Therefore their ratios are somewhat variable. With pivoting followers camshafts, it is common practice to measure the valve motion in the engine. You would need a solid lash adjuster to do this properly. However, what you are attempting to do could help identify the camshaft in question without resorting to fully degreeing the camshaft in. Sliders typically had .430 lift while most rollers had .433" lift at max lobe lift. I would measure several intakes and exhausts to get an average lobe lift as many of FWD's camshafts are split overlap.
    Some mild regrinds still use the stock 1.400" base circle, while others with the same exact grind profile will have a decreased base circle due to core cam wear.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Standard rollers followers avg. out to be 1.75:1 not 1.84:1. I've seen some NOS roller followers that worked to as high as 1.77:1. They had at least two OEM suppliers. Pivoting followers operate around a pivot point. Therefore their ratios are somewhat variable. With pivoting followers camshafts, it is common practice to measure the valve motion in the engine. You would need a solid lash adjuster to do this properly. However, what you are attempting to do could help identify the camshaft in question without resorting to fully degreeing the camshaft in. Sliders typically had .430 lift while most rollers had .433" lift at max lobe lift. I would measure several intakes and exhausts to get an average lobe lift as many of FWD's camshafts are split overlap.
    Some mild regrinds still use the stock 1.400" base circle, while others with the same exact grind profile will have a decreased base circle due to core cam wear.

At one point, I made a solid "checker" lash adjuster. Need to look through my stash of parts and see if I still have it. You are correct, that is the only way to know for sure. Right now, I'm just theoretically guessing...

turbo addict

Do you need another head? I have a swirl head laying around, and there is a 90 daytona at pull a part in Indy with the engine intact minus valve cover and cam.

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    Do you need another head? I have a swirl head laying around, and there is a 90 daytona at pull a part in Indy with the engine intact minus valve cover and cam.
    Sent you a PM.