Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 83 Scamp GT turbo conversion

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 83 Scamp GT turbo conversion

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    Make sure this whole thing doesn't turn into a see-saw between the Scamp and the Daytona.

Crank up the boost on this one... crank up the boost on that one...
    I hear that. Already thinking about adding an intercooler to the Daytona to up it a little. Now it's the slow one...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    glad to hear it's come out so well

my turbo conversion for my turismo back in '90 was somewhat more frustrating
    I'd used a shelby charger harness from a badly wrecked car - so badly that I had to chop away the cowel top at each corner behind the strut towers to get the wireing out as the towers had compressed into the firewall

e-yep I had some broken wires I didn't know about ...

and then when I got it going I found the number 1 injector had a leaky o ring and was shooting a needle sizes stream of gas straight at the s-v housing where it vaporized instantly

but the 10-12 pounds of boost was lots-ah fun ..

I hear you on first gear being almost useless - I had to shift about 1 1/2 lanes across an average intersection

I'd count out the 3 second change over on the traffic light
    one thousand , tap the gas , bring it up to about 35oo
    two thousand , tap it again
    three thousand , hit it and launch .. with a manifold already full of boost at about 10 pounds
    I had to repair a couple of things, but for the most part is was pretty decent.

I'm going to go back through the harness this winter. One thing I did discover as I was hooking everything up, the bonehead kid that had it before my friend, managed to bust almost every locking clip off every sensor! MAP, CTS, AIS, TPS, all are broken off or cracked. Nice thing about these weatherpack style connectors is the seals will pretty much hold them in place. But I check them constantly. I'll replace them with new this winter while it's parked...

Update to thread. Drove it to work yesterday. Drive in was uneventful. Ran great, and this thing is a blast on the on-ramps. Stood on it after making the turn, and the speedo was bouncing off the stops before I got to the interstate merge lane. The stock speedo only goes to 85, so I know I was well in excess of that.

Drive home was a different story. Went home a back way because of a stop I had to make. Evidently, the radiator fan relay crapped out on me. Got into town, and in stop & go traffic it got hot & overheated. I noticed the temp going up, so I pulled over and shut it down. Really didn't want to fry the new motor. After a few minutes to diagnose, and run to the gas station I just passed for a gallon of water( I NEVER get that lucky...), I jumpered the relay connector & drove it home. No more issues. I have a couple extra relays laying around, so I need to replace it and test it, and I should be good. Glad I took my tool bag with me..

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Glad you caught that. It would have been horrible if you would have cooked it.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Glad you caught that. It would have been horrible if you would have cooked it.
    Yeah,

That's why I insist on running mechanical gauges. That way I always know whay it's doing.

turbo addict

canadian L body speedo is marked in KM's on the large scale but goes to 115 mph on the small scale .. in case it helps any

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345