Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 83 Scamp GT turbo conversion

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 83 Scamp GT turbo conversion

Well, after going to SDAC-27, I felt inspired. Arrived back home last night, got a good nights rest, and hit the Scamp hard today.

Painted the engine bay this morning, then assembled the engine/trans together, and slid it into place. Engine is in, shift linkage is in & adjusted, brakes are back in, exhaust is in, front struts are back in, half shafts are in... Hoping to get the K-frame in first thing tomorrow, and probably the new pump/hanger assembly... Then I can start into the wiring.

My new goal is to have it done for Gilmore the end of July. Hope I can make it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170628_185104.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	61067

Wow, Greg that looks great!!! Glad to see you at the show, looking forward to the next time. Can't wait to see the finished product!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Wow, Greg that looks great!!! Glad to see you at the show, looking forward to the next time. Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Thanks Jon, murder charger is one of the inspirations to getting this done...

BTW, you were a hit with my oldest. First show he's been to, and since we got home, all I've heard about is getting a Shelby Charger to duplicate your car...

I think we created a monster...

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Thanks Jon, murder charger is one of the inspirations to getting this done...

BTW, you were a hit with my oldest. First show he's been to, and since we got home, all I've heard about is getting a Shelby Charger to duplicate your car...

I think we created a monster...
    Hahahaha Start them out early and start them out right! 2door4life!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Wow, talk about some progress. I'm thrilled to see this happen so quickly after SDAC. I also feel envigorated by the convention every year. It was great to see everyone again, including some whom I haven't seen in a while.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Nice work!
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Nice work!
    Thanks Rob!

I'm going to send you a PM.... I have a chip to send you for a custom cal for this beast...

turbo addict

in your hunting things different about a turbo L body have you found the reinforcement bracket for the rad crossmember to framerail piece yet ?

lol did you know they even have it ?

there is a bolt in Y shaped piece to reinforce that lower corner in front of the alternator

I found it years ago doing the conversion in my turismo and thought mmm that's different I don't have that ... I'll have to scoop that too ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    in your hunting things different about a turbo L body have you found the reinforcement bracket for the rad crossmember to framerail piece yet ?

lol did you know they even have it ?

there is a bolt in Y shaped piece to reinforce that lower corner in front of the alternator

I found it years ago doing the conversion in my turismo and thought mmm that's different I don't have that ... I'll have to scoop that too ...
    I knew about it, but never found one. The Scamp already has large, angled reinforcements in the corners. I didn't check other L-body's at SDAC to see if they were the same. I've considered adding some reinforcement, but never did it. I'll just have to keep an eye on it...

Progress has been slow, but sure. Wiring harness is now done, and at least in the engine bay. Still have a bunch of stuff to hook up, but it's in.

Here is what a 1983 L-body TII SMEC wiring harness looks like:

Name:	guide_005.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	61111

Name:	guide_006.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	61112

I will eventually do a write-up on what I did to make this happen. I didn't want to change anything on the interior of the truck, so that complicated things a little, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Basically, I kept the lighting portion & 40 way bulkhead connector from the original 83 harness, and kept the battery feeds, charging circuit, and ECU circuit from the 89 P-body harness and mated the two together. It required me to splice a few wires, mainly the two ignition switch power feeds, the starter relay feed, hazard lights feed, and engine light feed. I also repaired a few butched wires from the kid who had modified the car before my friend got it. Laid everything out, and re-wrapped it to what you see above.

So far, I've only had one snag installing it. The new harness is quite a bit "fatter" than the old one going to the passenger side, so my original firewall loom clips are too small. I found some correctly sized one at Clips & Fasteners, so I ordered them and they should be here is a few days. That won't stop me from hooking anything up, so I will proceed...

turbo addict

looks nice - especially without that third leg of wireing that would go to the lm.. and all that goes with installing it

OK, decided to post an update. No pictures, but progress is being made. This thing is getting really close to being alive.

Loom clips arrived, so the harness in now in place, and looks factory. All sensors, relays, solenoids are hooked up. The radiator is mocked up in place, I need to make one more upper mount. AFPR is in & plumbed. Vacuum/boost hoses are in except leg going to blow off valve & boost gauge.

I was hoping to fire it up this weekend, but my intercooler piping isn't going to be here until Tuesday. My flashed chip is on it's way back(thanks ForcefedMopar), and I have a friend socketing the ECU this week.

Here is a short list of things I need to do:

Install fuel pump hanger/sending unit.
    Wire in connector for above
    Finish cooling system plumbing
    Mount intercooler & plumbing
    Install valve cover gasket
    Fill all fluids
    Install custom radiator overfill tank
    Wire in WB O2 sensor
    Install new oil/boost/water temp gauges in center console
    Install socketed ECU

The list is getting short. I can't wait to fire up this beast and see what it can do...

This is cool, I like your list too. Glad you're making progress, I'm sure you'll have it going here in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    This is cool, I like your list too. Glad you're making progress, I'm sure you'll have it going here in no time.
    Thanks Jon.

I am making progress. Got the fuel pump/sender in the tank last night. Trans is full of oil, and I made my new gauge insert for the center console at work yesterday. So I'm making progress.

I took a couple of pictures last night. It never looks quite as neat as when just the engine is sitting in there, but gives you an idea....

Name:	20170714_214517.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	61133

Name:	20170714_214529.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	61134

Another major hurdle crossed! Finished the last couple of wires last night. My chip arrived from Force Fed Mopar, and I picked up the socketed SMEC from my friend tonight. Soooo.... I decided, what the heck, I put it together, and hooked up the battery. No smoke, no sizzle, and it appears everything is working!!!! Even turned it over a couple times, but the battery is weak from sitting, so I need to charge it up.
    Lights work, key buzzer, WB O2 gauge comes on with the key, and it appears everything in the interior has power.

I even did the key dance, and only got codes 12 & 55, which is a good thing.... Now, if my intercooler piping kit would quit taking the grand tour of the Midwest, and arrive at my door, I'd be in business....

Basically all I have left is to mount the gauges, radiator, fill the fluids, and install the intercooler & piping, and this thing should be ready to rock and roll...

Been making steady progress, although not as fast as I would like. I made the new gauge plate for the center console, and got it clearanced for the new gauges. Made a plate to mount the WB O2 gauge in the left A/C duct hole. I managed to get the intercooler mounted last night, and started on the piping. Still trying to get it fired up this weekend. It will be late Sunday if it happens...

Name:	intercooler_001.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	61173

The truck is basically assembled. I hit a couple snags yesterday trying to get it running. First happened when I tried to fill the cooling system. Coolant started peeing out the weep hole in the water pump about as fast as I was pouring it in... Crap, that gamble bit me in the butt, so I spent 3 hours changing a water pump, and removing a broken bolt from the housing... The second was a fuel rail fitting I didn't get tight enough, so it was leaking. Had to clean that up...

Anyways, got it back together about 8 pm last night, and figured I'd try and start it. At first it wouldn't even try, so I went through the no start/no spark diagnostics and everything checked out fine... WTH??? I have no codes, except 42, and that was because I actuated the ASD relay to prime the fuel system.

So I started playing with the distributor, and discovered that if I retarded it as much as I could, it would try and start, but wouldn't run. So obviously, I have a timing issue. All the marks look good to me, and the distrbutor drive is parallel to the block like it's supposed to be, but I'm going to re-time everything tonight and see if I can't get this beast running...

Worth checking, but make sure the flywheel isn't 180° out. That is an easy thing to do. I usually pull the plugs and confirm #1 is TDC and then check the mark on the flywheel. Sounds promising though!

Here is a shot to show some eye candy:

Name:	engine001.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	61174

Name:	engine002.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	61175

Now, if I can just get it to run as good as it looks...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That looks really nice. Are you worried about the fitting, for what I presume is coolant temp, breaking at the head?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast