Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 83 Scamp GT turbo conversion

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 83 Scamp GT turbo conversion

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That looks really nice. Are you worried about the fitting, for what I presume is coolant temp, breaking at the head?

I've thought about it. I will keep an eye on it. This head doesn't have the threaded port on top of the T-stat housing like most. A fact I didn't notice until after the head was on, and I was trying to figure out sensor locations. The T was the best solution I could come up with so I could get both the CTS sensor in for the ECU & my mechanical temp gauge. I absolutely can't stand not having a temp gauge, and the Scamp's Rallye cluster doesn't have one...

I removed the little storage slot in the center console, and that is where I put my water temp, oil pressure, and boost gauges.

Does your mechanical not have the same size fitting as the stock one that goes close to cylinder 1? All the aftermarket ones I've purchased had small and large fittings.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Does your mechanical not have the same size fitting as the stock one that goes close to cylinder 1? All the aftermarket ones I've purchased had small and large fittings.
    Nope. mine is 3/8" NPT just like the CTS, which is why I used the T.

BTW, it lives!!!!

Went back and re-timed the engine. I feel like a total dumb@ss, after seeing what I did. On my crank pulley there is a very small "A" stamped on it. I timed the engine without my glasses on, and mistook it for the timing dot. So the crank was about 90* out from where it should have been!!!! Talk about a putz move... Yikes, I ought to be slapped for that one.

Anyways, once I got that figured out(with my glasses this time), I hit the key, and it fired up almost instantly. Sat there and purred like a kitten. It does have a slight stumble off idle when I snap the throttle open, not sure if the ECU just needs to learn a little or what. I bled the brakes, fixed a small fuel leak, and let it get warm and cycle the fan to make sure everything works.

I need to tidy up the gauges ,and a couple things on the interior, but I may try and take it for a short drive tomorrow night and see how it behaves...

Mitsu booster

Good Golly Miss Molly!! You've got yourself a real sleeper there. I can only imagine what that beast will do once it's broken in. With hardly any weight in the rear, do you think it could outperform your Daytona?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Glad to hear that you have it running well, and it was just something simple.

Garrett booster

Good work man! Glad to hear that it's running. The engine bay looks really clean. It's going to need some big front tires!

+1 to keeping a close eye on that tee. I would try to find a steel pipe nipple to attach it with. I doubt the tee itself will break but the the piece between it and the t-stat housing very well may if it's a brass piece. Not that it would be the death of the engine or anything but it could leave you stranded.

Make sure to post a video once you get everything all buttoned up! Rampage burnouts FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwest View Post
    Good Golly Miss Molly!! You've got yourself a real sleeper there. I can only imagine what that beast will do once it's broken in. With hardly any weight in the rear, do you think it could outperform your Daytona?
    Oh most definitely. A 2300lb vehicle with nearly 300 hp vs a bone stock 2800 lb Daytona with 150 hp. The Scamp ought to haul... My biggest issue is going to be traction...

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Glad to hear that you have it running well, and it was just something simple.
    Thanks. Yeah I did a complete face palm when I realized what I had done. I know better than that. Just glad these are non-interference motors, or that could have been ugly. I guess that just goes to show no matter how many times you've done it, you can still mess up... Hey, I'm human just like everybody else... If you don't learn from your mistakes, you're doing something wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by lightbulb010 View Post
    Good work man! Glad to hear that it's running. The engine bay looks really clean. It's going to need some big front tires!

+1 to keeping a close eye on that tee. I would try to find a steel pipe nipple to attach it with. I doubt the tee itself will break but the the piece between it and the t-stat housing very well may if it's a brass piece. Not that it would be the death of the engine or anything but it could leave you stranded.

Make sure to post a video once you get everything all buttoned up! Rampage burnouts FTW
    Thanks for the positive comments!!!

Now that you mention it, we keep schedule 80 pipe fittings at work, I could pretty easily change out that brass pipe nipple with a steel piece with a lot more beef to it...

OK, got a short drive in around the block before a fuel leak ended my adventure. Thought I had the lines routed and tied back enough to avoid contact, but the timing belt ate a hole in the return line in short order... Live & learn I guess.

What I can tell you is, this thing is going to be wicked fast when I get it dialed... OMG, I went around the first corner and poked it, and had to dig my eyeballs out of the back of my head!!!! WOW!!! Can't wait to get a little time on it and see what it does...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Glad it was just a leaky line and not a fire.

Garrett booster

Boost=fun
    Fuel leaks=not so fun
    Glad you and the car are okay.

One of my favorite things about building a car or a new setup is that first drive. The moment when it all comes together and I realize success. Very satisfying!

Then that feeling wears off, I get greedy and blow the ***** up LOL.

You must be excited to really see what she can do!

Yeah, I replaced the line last night, but sleeping on it, I decided I need to re-route it back further, and make it longer so it doesn't have any possibility of coming near the timing belt. I'll pick up some new fuel line on the way home tonight and fix that before trying another drive...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Great progress!
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Great progress!

Thanks!

Your tune made it all possible.

OK, another update:

I've been asking a bunch of questions on another thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ing&highlight=

But I've made a couple of tweaks to the engine, and went for another drive last night. I bumped timing from 8* to 12* like it should be, I tightened up my BOV, and I bumped the boost from 6 to 10 psi. This thing is quite the animal. Holy smoke!!! Boost hits about 2000 rpm, and it's like getting hit in the @ss with a semi. This thing is an absolute riot to drive. Better than drugs or booze!!!

I love the transformation. Looking forward to tons of stupid smiles, and a bunch of ticked off Mustang/Camaro/Ricer owners who are going to get their butts handed to them with this truck....

Again, I want to thank all of our supporting vendors for what they do for us, and a big thank you to all of you in this community who have helped make this project a reality, whether through parts help, technical help, or just moral suport. I couldn't have done this without this community. And being able to post all of it out here helped me a ton working through this project. I had never dove into a car this far before, or tried this deep of a transformation. I learned a lot, and hopefully I can pass along some of that knowledge to others wanting to go down this path.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Are you planning on hitting a tack or Dyno for some empirical numbers or are you satisfied with seat of the pants and enjoying the newfound power? It's a great sign it's that strong at 10PSI and plenty of room to grow into you 18PSI goal

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Are you planning on hitting a tack or Dyno for some empirical numbers or are you satisfied with seat of the pants and enjoying the newfound power? It's a great sign it's that strong at 10PSI and plenty of room to grow into you 18PSI goal
    Eventually I will get it to a track, and I hope to dyno it as well. Need to put some miles on it though. So far, I've only driven it about 20 miles since I finished it. Hoping to put a few more on tonight. Muncie (SDAC 24) is the closest drag strip to me. They do test & tune on Wednesday nights. Kinda tough for me to get down there during the week, but I think I'm going to take off work early one of these weeks and head down there. There is a shop with a chassis dyno about 30 minutes from work. I'll have to see when they are doing a dyno day, and run it there...

I would like to have some hard numbers to throw out there, but I am very satisifed by the HUGE seat of the pants improvement in the truck.

Just a quick update. Put a few more miles on it last night. I think the new MAP sensor stopped the cruising surge. AFR's at cruise seems to have settled down. This thing is a blast. So much more power than before, and I'm still at 10 psi.

Going to settle down a little with it, and just drive it to let it adapt. Supposed to be nice next week, so maybe I can drive it to work a few days and let it break in. I have an 80 mile round trip drive to work, so that ought to give it plenty of time to learn....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Make sure this whole thing doesn't turn into a see-saw between the Scamp and the Daytona.

Crank up the boost on this one... crank up the boost on that one...
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

glad to hear it's come out so well

my turbo conversion for my turismo back in '90 was somewhat more frustrating
    I'd used a shelby charger harness from a badly wrecked car - so badly that I had to chop away the cowel top at each corner behind the strut towers to get the wireing out as the towers had compressed into the firewall

e-yep I had some broken wires I didn't know about ...

and then when I got it going I found the number 1 injector had a leaky o ring and was shooting a needle sizes stream of gas straight at the s-v housing where it vaporized instantly

but the 10-12 pounds of boost was lots-ah fun ..

I hear you on first gear being almost useless - I had to shift about 1 1/2 lanes across an average intersection

I'd count out the 3 second change over on the traffic light
    one thousand , tap the gas , bring it up to about 35oo
    two thousand , tap it again
    three thousand , hit it and launch .. with a manifold already full of boost at about 10 pounds

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast