Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 83 Scamp GT turbo conversion

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 83 Scamp GT turbo conversion

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    I ran into the same thing when I put my LSD in my 555. There was an added layer of complexity to my install that I'll leave out, but I actually put all my shims, including the original, on the passenger side. No issues so far.

I loved reading your original post. Just another life altered by a turbo Daytona, haha.
    Thanks. Yeah, I have to say, I never really "got" the whole boost thing until I actually owned a turbo car. I knew there was more power there to be had. But I have had so much fun for so many years with the Scamp in it's N/A version, I really didn't think I was missing much. After the original 2.2 carbed motor build, it was a riot to drive. I still got compliments to the very end on the glorious noise that high compression, header and cammed motor made. A couple of years ago, the Hoosier SDAC group did a fall colors run through the Hoosier State park forest, and with the twist & curves in the trees I really enjoyed laying into it and making it bark. Every time we stopped, the guys would get out of their cars smiling. They would make comments on the noise it would make when I wound it up. They had never heard that kind of noise from a 2.2. A turbo takes most of that away. That is the one thing I will really miss with the new setup(along with 7K power shifts), but I think better than doubling(probably 2.5X) the power will probably make up for it...

I don't want to bore anybody, but thought I would make one post to kind of go through the short block build.

When I picked up the assembly, it was an unknown(other than being a 2.5 turbo). My friend had bough the car, it ran and drove fine, but was a rot box. He said the PO had seemed a little concerned about oil pressure, but it seemed to hold good pressure for him. Well, when I tore it down, I understood the concern. The mains & crank were definitely grooved, and the intermediate shaft bearings came out in pieces. The intermediate shaft was perfect when I pulled it, which surprised me. Anyways, I bought a new NOS crank, and installed new I-shaft bearings and everything seems to be good as new. I plasti-guaged everything, and all tolerances were well within spec.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cylinder_003.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	60545

The bores checked well within tolerance, as did the original Mahle pistons, so I just cleaned everything up, and reused them. A new set of Mahle moly coated rings, and a hone on the bores, and we are good as new.
    Last edited by 83scamp; 04-11-2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: sp

Hybrid booster

I like reading about engine builds.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, I have to say, I never really "got" the whole boost thing until I actually owned a turbo car. I knew there was more power there to be had. But I have had so much fun for so many years with the Scamp in it's N/A version, I really didn't think I was missing much. After the original 2.2 carbed motor build, it was a riot to drive. I still got compliments to the very end on the glorious noise that high compression, header and cammed motor made. A couple of years ago, the Hoosier SDAC group did a fall colors run through the Hoosier State park forest, and with the twist & curves in the trees I really enjoyed laying into it and making it bark. Every time we stopped, the guys would get out of their cars smiling. They would make comments on the noise it would make when I wound it up. They had never heard that kind of noise from a 2.2. A turbo takes most of that away. That is the one thing I will really miss with the new setup(along with 7K power shifts), but I think better than doubling(probably 2.5X) the power will probably make up for it...
    A turbo simply delights the eardrums in different ways. And trust me, I get it. Even after 12 years, 6500rpm in my Neon with the Borla exhaust and Magnum header still makes me happy. But I also love the amount of spool you hear with a 3" exhaust combined with a just-loud-enough blow-off valve. As you mentioned, extra horsepower never hurts either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    I like reading about engine builds.
    Yup. Why would you think you were boring anyone?
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Thanks guys. I think a good many of us on here have done engine builds, so I really don't want this thread to be an in-depth how-to. More of a highlights reel...

Now the wiring... I may go into more detail on that since I have never found a lot of info online about converting an early L-body to turbo...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Always good posts Scamp, not to worry if you get long winded we can always skim read them

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

with regards to your new two piece intake ..
    did you get the support bar that runs from the end of the head to the neck of the intake with it ? .. and the bolts ?

if you haven't delt with the two piece before you need to be sure to know the bolt for that support bar that goes into the bottom of the neck turns into a HUGE vacume leak if the bolt isn't there

you can still have the 7K rpm's too with the right lm or smec
    the mp stuff used to go 7200

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    with regards to your new two piece intake ..
    did you get the support bar that runs from the end of the head to the neck of the intake with it ? .. and the bolts ?

if you haven't delt with the two piece before you need to be sure to know the bolt for that support bar that goes into the bottom of the neck turns into a HUGE vacume leak if the bolt isn't there

you can still have the 7K rpm's too with the right lm or smec
    the mp stuff used to go 7200
    I did not get the support bar with it, but I am aware I need it. I will either buy the Omnipotent one, or make one myself. I was aware the bolt would cause a vacuum leak, but thanks for looking out for me. I always welcome suggestions from others who have gone before me.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I blew a headgasket because of not knowing about that bolt about 10 years ago.. whoops.

Please don't take this is a negative statement but you probably won't get anywhere near 300hp on 20psi with that setup. Doesn't matter because it'll make more power than you can hook up in the first two gears and be capable of 12-second 1/4s and i see a 0% chance of you being dissatisfied anyway.

As for sound, i've enjoyed the sound of the turbo motors when they're sufficiently uncorked and you can hear the turbo spooling through the exhaust. It's not a 'nice' noise but they're really not too loud on stock turbos and the turbo whistle is really entertaining.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I blew a headgasket because of not knowing about that bolt about 10 years ago.. whoops.

Please don't take this is a negative statement but you probably won't get anywhere near 300hp on 20psi with that setup. Doesn't matter because it'll make more power than you can hook up in the first two gears and be capable of 12-second 1/4s and i see a 0% chance of you being dissatisfied anyway.

As for sound, i've enjoyed the sound of the turbo motors when they're sufficiently uncorked and you can hear the turbo spooling through the exhaust. It's not a 'nice' noise but they're really not too loud on stock turbos and the turbo whistle is really entertaining.
    Thanks for the input. I don't take any constructive comments negatively. You are correct, I may not get there with the initial setup, which will just give me room to grow later.

I do believe you are correct, even doubling the hp will make this truck a thrill ride. And I'm sure you are correct that I will have a very tough time getting traction in the first two gears...

We'll just have to see what happens as this build progresses. I would like to get it on a chassis dyno after I get it broken in, just to see what it will do...

OK, haven't posted in a while. Progress has kind of been stalled due the head issues I mentioned in an earlier post. I was beginning to think I wasn't supposed to get a good 782 head... Second head had a cracked cam tower, so it's junk, but third time is a charm. Got really nice looking 782 head now, and started some port work on it last night.

HUGE thank you to 2manyturbos for diving into his stash of heads and bailing my butt out yet again on this project. Awesome having friends like him in this community.

Here is the very beginning of port work on one intake port:

Name:	seals_003.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	60637

Here is the beginning of work on an exhaust port:

Name:	seals_005.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	60638

Obviously, this is just the beginning of a very rough cut. I have a LONG ways to go before I'm done. Just feels good to finally be making some progress on the head...

And, just for eye candy, here is one of the chambers with my shiney, new +1mm valves:

Name:	seals_007.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	60639

I won't have the valve job done until I finish port work.

Well, I've been making steady progress on the engine. Port & chamber work is done, and the head is at the machine shop now for a valve job & possibly guides if it needs it.

I hope this thing flow a lot more than stock. Spent a lot of time working on the ports & chambers. Here are some pictures of the rough cuts, I haven't taken any pictures of the final yet:

Name:	20170427_222618.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	60715

Name:	ports_003.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	60716

I also managed to get the K-frame & the old engine/trans out of the truck so I can start prepping the engine bay for a fresh coat of paint:

Name:	enginebay_001.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	60717

I'm moving forward, just not sure there is enough time to get it done before SDAC. But I'll try...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Thanks for the input. I don't take any constructive comments negatively. You are correct, I may not get there with the initial setup, which will just give me room to grow later.

I do believe you are correct, even doubling the hp will make this truck a thrill ride. And I'm sure you are correct that I will have a very tough time getting traction in the first two gears...

We'll just have to see what happens as this build progresses. I would like to get it on a chassis dyno after I get it broken in, just to see what it will do...
    on 18-20psi, you should be in the 230-240whp range w/ a good tune and 93 oct Never had my Lebaron on the dyno but 8th mile mph calculated out to 240+whp. I always err on the low side of calculators, especially since the 2.5 makes a ton of torque. It ran out of breath around 5k-5500 though. I could stay with early SRT8's on the hwy from about 55 up to 100-110mph, when that V8 hp and gearing took over lol. Also ran an '11 Challenger RT 6spd from a 35 roll and it was close until around 80-90mph.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Figured it's time for an update. Haven't made near as much progress as I wanted, but that's life.

Engine bay is now empty, hoping to get it prepped and painted this weekend.

Got the head back from the machine shop, 3 angle valve job for the +1 valves, and a .004" cut to clean the deck. It looks really good. I managed to get the valves assembled into the head last night, and pulled the PT lifters out of the old carbed motor.

I think I figured out why the old motor seemed down on power a little last year. My MP 767 cam is about wiped out! The nose of the lobes has a pretty serious wear pattern developing, and there is a ridge I can catch my fingernail on, so I know I don't have the lift or duration I was supposed to... Well, I guess that cam is going in the trash... Can't complain too much, it is a slider with about 80K on it, and stiffer MP 813 springs. It served me well for 19 years...

Hoping to finish assembling the head tonight so I can finish the long block. If I can get the engine bay painted this weekend, maybe I can actually put the motor in next week!

Still don't think I have enough time to get it done for SDAC, but we'll see...

Made some good progress last night. I now have an assembled long block!

Name:	20170525_215120.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	60813

That's great Greg, almost there! Do you have the wiring finished​ or is that still pending? Hope you can get it finished before SDAC.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    That's great Greg, almost there! Do you have the wiring finished​ or is that still pending? Hope you can get it finished before SDAC.
    Not looking good for SDAC this year. I have an 89 P-body harness, but haven't started the conversion yet. I was hoping to spend a lot of time on it this weekend, but that hasn't happened so far with family stuff going on.

I've pretty much resolved myself to bring my Daytona this year. I'll get the Scamp finished later this summer, and bring it again next year.

Well, things have been moving along nicely the last couple of nights. Engine is getting close to complete. Actually looks like a real turbo motor sitting there on the stand now.

Name:	20170531_215918.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	60878

Name:	20170531_220120.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	60879

Name:	20170531_215940.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	60880

Valve cover looks kinda funky because that wrinkle finish is only about an hour old in the picture. And yes, I'm going to sand off the lettering & fins like factory....

Now I just need to get the engine bay painted, and the wiring harness built....
    Last edited by 83scamp; 05-31-2017 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added info

Major milestone(at least in my mind) hit last night! The engine is assembled!!! Well, at least as much as I can until it goes back in.

Name:	20170605_221401.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	60924 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170605_221346.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	60925 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170605_221319.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	60928

I managed to get the trans cleaned and painted over the weekend as well. Last night I fabricated the linkage brackets so I can run the 520 with the rod shifter:

Name:	20170605_221425.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	60926 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170605_221432.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	60927

Next step is to attack the engine bay, get the radiator mounts moved, and figure out the intercooler mounting so I can paint the engine bay. I'm thinking I might just be putting the engine in next weekend...

BTW, I'll probably say this a few more times before this thread is done, but I want to give a huge shout out to our suporting vendors. FWP, TU, & Polybushings. Cindy, Chris, & Johnny have been absolutely fabulous to deal with. I have purchased parts from all of them for this build, and I wanted to say thank you to all of them. Without their willingness to support our vehicles, this build, and hundreds like it would never happen. They are true enthusiasts. I know it has to be tough to continue to support a niche group like ours. Their willingness to do so shows their love for these vehicles.

Thank you to all for supporting us and our sickness...
    Last edited by 83scamp; 06-06-2017 at 12:11 PM. Reason: clarified post

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast