Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: A BMF intake for TIII's

  1. #21
    boostaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Palmerton PA
    Posts
    1,264

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    Here is the thread from when I was making them. Maybe you'll​ find something useful.

    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46668

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

  2. #22
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Spokane, Wa
    Posts
    8,966

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    I bet the oval runner material from Rossmachineracing.com is pretty damn close.

  3. #23
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hemet,CA
    Posts
    1,636

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    Here is the thread from when I was making them. Maybe you'll​ find something useful.

    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46668

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Wow... thats some very fine work there. I am surprised I did not see this before. Why didn't you make a full 8V intake? The making of the head flange wouldn't seem to be much different as far as difficulty level for modeling/machining.

    Ya I see what you mean by short runners. Did I imagine it or in a few pictures/posts before the welded pic there was what looked like very short runner extensions, which were not in the welded one?




    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Wow... thats some very fine work there. I am surprised I did not see this before. Why didn't you make a full 8V intake? The making of the head flange wouldn't seem to be much different as far as difficulty level for modeling/machining.

    Ya I see what you mean by short runners. Did I imagine it or in a few pictures/posts before the welded pic there was what looked like very short runner extensions, which were not in the welded one?


    I cant edit my post for some reason..heres the welded one which seems like the runner extension is not there? Or am I just not seeing the weld. Or maybe I should not be so lazy and just read the thread instead of just looking at all the juicy pics.

  4. #24
    boostaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Palmerton PA
    Posts
    1,264

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Wow... thats some very fine work there. I am surprised I did not see this before. Why didn't you make a full 8V intake? The making of the head flange wouldn't seem to be much different as far as difficulty level for modeling/machining.

    Ya I see what you mean by short runners. Did I imagine it or in a few pictures/posts before the welded pic there was what looked like very short runner extensions, which were not in the welded one?




    - - - Updated - - -



    I cant edit my post for some reason..heres the welded one which seems like the runner extension is not there? Or am I just not seeing the weld. Or maybe I should not be so lazy and just read the thread instead of just looking at all the juicy pics.
    The pic you posted with the "extensions" was the intake for my car ( a spirit r/t at that time) the welded intake you are referring to is Carroll Roberts intake. He has a TIII omni, and that required a even shorter runner. His intake didn't even have a extension piece, the head flange was welded directly to the plenum flange, and so is mine now😉

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

  5. #25
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Gillette, Wyoming
    Posts
    5,352

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    I told two of my local friends about this potential Group Buy. One is interested, the other said he likes the look of the stock intake manifold and knows that it's capable of 500+ WHP so he declined.

    I'm still interested but I thought it would help your evaluation of the project.
    87 Shelby Lancer #127
    91 Dodge Spirit R/T
    08 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
    86 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo

  6. #26
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hemet,CA
    Posts
    1,636

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I told two of my local friends about this potential Group Buy. One is interested, the other said he likes the look of the stock intake manifold and knows that it's capable of 500+ WHP so he declined.

    I'm still interested but I thought it would help your evaluation of the project.
    Ya it does, thank you. Is that true about the stock intake?

  7. #27
    boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Ya it does, thank you. Is that true about the stock intake?
    I made just over 500 whp with an untouched intake and stock TB.

  8. #28
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hemet,CA
    Posts
    1,636

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    I made just over 500 whp with an untouched intake and stock TB.
    So then this really isn't needed is it

  9. #29
    boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    So then this really isn't needed is it
    Well it would be a cool upgrade as it took alot of boost to get there with the stock one.

  10. #30
    turbo addict Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rockville, MD
    Posts
    3,755

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    A better than stock intake is a huge advantage over the stock intake. My current engine set up just went 11.1@123 on 20 psi on a very conservative timing curve on straight pump gas. My intake is a huge part of that equation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0193.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	676.8 KB 
ID:	60611  

  11. #31
    Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Greenville/Spartanburg SC area
    Posts
    7,537

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    Yeah it's nice to have an intake that flows rather than having to stack boost into it, which you then need to cool some way. Might could allow for a small phenolic spacer in the design to help decrease heat soak from the engine. Or some funneling of the runners to act as velocity stacks.

    Or, design an ITB intake
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC
    2.5 TIII swap is here!

    Project LookOwt
    '91 Daytona ES, 61k original miles, Rick Lozier's old 3.0 nitrous car
    Back to basics, then the mods go back on....

  12. #32
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hemet,CA
    Posts
    1,636

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Yeah it's nice to have an intake that flows rather than having to stack boost into it, which you then need to cool some way. Might could allow for a small phenolic spacer in the design to help decrease heat soak from the engine. Or some funneling of the runners to act as velocity stacks.

    Or, design an ITB intake

    Well may as well go all the way! Alot easier when the whole thing is a from-scratch design.

    What would the ultimate combination of velocity stack/funnel + independent throttle body + big plenum look like? I mean physically how does all that fit together? Where does the plenum go?
    Or do you not need one?

    And what would be the source of the throttle bodies?

    1. L-body fitment (lengel, iTurbo)
    2. throttle on passenger side (iTurbo)
    3. attention to runners not being too short (lengel)
    4. compatibility with keeping A/C compressor (lengel)
    5. price somewhere between $572 and $900 shipped..TBD (acannell)
    6. a couple dozen orders, depends on many factors though (acannell)

    7. Independent throttle bodies (force fed mopar)
    8. Phenolic heat transfer spacers (force fed mopar)
    9. velocity stacks (force fed mopar)

  13. #33
    Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Greenville/Spartanburg SC area
    Posts
    7,537

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    With ITB, the plenum would really be an air collection box on top of the throttle bodies that directs air into them from the turbo/intercooler. This would work for either turbo or na setups, na could have the option to build their own air cleaner/cleaners that would sit directly on top of them, depending on design and engine bay room. Or use the turbo air box to receive air from a ram air or cold air intake.

    Before you laugh about an NA TIII it might be an option for the circle track guys that have to run factory setups and/or parts, ie can't run Neon heads on a 2.2. Plus, more people you can sell too
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC
    2.5 TIII swap is here!

    Project LookOwt
    '91 Daytona ES, 61k original miles, Rick Lozier's old 3.0 nitrous car
    Back to basics, then the mods go back on....

  14. #34
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Gillette, Wyoming
    Posts
    5,352

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    With ITB, the plenum would really be an air collection box on top of the throttle bodies that directs air into them from the turbo/intercooler. This would work for either turbo or na setups, na could have the option to build their own air cleaner/cleaners that would sit directly on top of them, depending on design and engine bay room. Or use the turbo air box to receive air from a ram air or cold air intake.

    Before you laugh about an NA TIII it might be an option for the circle track guys that have to run factory setups and/or parts, ie can't run Neon heads on a 2.2. Plus, more people you can sell too
    Years ago I bought a Masi 16v engine from a guy in Boise ID. I know this is already sounding off topic, but hear me out.... The guy was an older racer that was into racing at Bonneville. He had designed his own car, built it from scratch, and for some reason or another, decided to use the Masi 16v engine as the power plant. I only talked to him for a few hours and got an awesome tour of his shop. He supposedly had connections at Mopar back in the day which steered him to use the Masi 16v. He had the engine custom built with a billet 2.0L crank, custom forged/coated Arias pistons, Cunningham forged rods, brand new head, etc..... I asked him about wether or not he had the stock intake manifold or turbocharger and he went back inside his house and *gave* me the Garret T67 and ITB throttle body setup he planned to use for his 'streamliner'. The ITB consisted of a manifold/flange plate to which the ITB 'module' bolted to with Hilborn mechanical fuel injection. Belt driven fuel pumps/cogs etc....the whole nine yards. He even made the ignition coil himself. Craziest day ever.
    87 Shelby Lancer #127
    91 Dodge Spirit R/T
    08 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
    86 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo

  15. #35
    boostaholic
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park. Minnesota
    Posts
    1,087

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    I would be interested in this as well. I am running a stock intake and head with the stock throttle body. I am probably flirting with 500 WHP as well. Never dynoed, currently on E85 at 38 pounds of boost. I would also what to be able to run AC and I have a much thicker radiator that stock (Griffe Aluminum Unit) so the "L-body like" clearance would be need on my IROC R/T as well.

  16. #36
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Spokane, Wa
    Posts
    8,966

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    Running a head flange, and the plenum right to it like Lengel's intake is now without the extensions would be the way to go. The T3 has a bunch of runner length inside the head on the intake side. There's cross section pics somewhere of a T3 head. So even though the runners on lengel's intake are short the runner length overall isn't that short. These engines have enough bottom end torque that to kill some of it with a big short runner intake is a good thing.

    Remember an engine is an air pump, the more efficiently you can get air into an out of the motor the more power you'll make.



    Jeremy,
    He was probably steered towards the masi because there's no cracking issues, cam on bucket means much more rpm and less moving weight, narrower head which means the overall intake runner can be really short, and less weight overall. It's just a much better head for racing than the T3 setup for those and maybe other reasons. Can the T3 make power? Oh for sure, but if a cost no object situation then the masi head is where it's at between the 2.

  17. #37
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Camilla Ga
    Posts
    684

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    Is it built yet!!!!

  18. #38
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Camilla Ga
    Posts
    684

    Re: A BMF intake for TIII's

    Oh what could have been.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Engine WTB: TIII intake manifold
    By 86Shelby in forum Parts Wanted
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 03:33 PM
  2. Engine TIII Intake
    By tommy in forum Parts For Sale
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 07:28 PM
  3. Fuel TIII Intake Manifold
    By moparfwdsleeper in forum Parts For Sale
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 01:18 AM
  4. General TIII Intake Manifold
    By powermaxx in forum Parts For Sale
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 10:16 PM
  5. TIII Intake
    By Mario in forum Parts For Sale
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 02:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •