Thread: Wire my 85 Turbo Z complete front to back with 89 Shelby harness

Wire my 85 Turbo Z complete front to back with 89 Shelby harness

My 85 Turbo Z was converted in a past life to a glhs style wiring and the underdash was changed to run of electronic speedo sensor in the trans. Needless to say the wiring is hacked and butchered some and some things arent working properly. I have a full running 89 Shelby T2 car thats rotted to hell but that it all seems to be in great shape electronically. So question is do pull all the 85 wiring out and swap in the 89 and make appropriate modifications. I definately need a good engine wiring harness and underdash wiring so i ate least have a motor running right and gauges that work.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Wire my 85 Turbo Z complete front to back with 89 Shelby harness

I rewire my 86 Turbo Z with 89 Shelby T2 engine harness. I didn't have to mess with anything rear of the firewall. There's only like 7 wire's from the 89 harness that gets spliced into about 7 wire's coming out of the firewall bulkhead connector. The problem was you can't use the combination oil pressure switch/sender.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=#post1122654

A PDC swap would be idea too do while doing the T2 harness swap. I regret not doing it to mine at the time.

Also my car doesn't have cruise control so that cuts down on amount of wire's needed to splice. I did however install wiring for A/C in case I ever wanted to reinstall the A/C.
    Last edited by marc; 03-28-2017 at 07:24 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Im not running ac and trying to avoid splicing anything into the current mess of 85 wiring that currently doesnt work properly. I figure if i take it all out and put the 89 wiring in complete i avoid any old problems that i have to track down later

I guess you can do it that way. The biggest obstacle the 89 harness passes thru the firewall vs the 85 firewall bulkhead connector. The only thing else I can think of is adding connectors for the quad headlights and taillight wiring.

You will lose "your oil pressure is low, prompt service is required" voice warning
    Last edited by marc; 03-28-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

I was figuring that i could pull the dash complete and id have access to cut a hole in the firewall like the 89 has so it would hook up completely the same through the firewall. Im sure id have whatever the shelby has long as i hook it up the same. I'm not trying to retain anything 85 other than the body. Adapting the headlights to quad and turnsignals is going to be a given to be done. My 85 didnt talk so i dont have to worry about that and it was all analog also

Good luck with the swap. I don't think you'll have any trouble in doing a complete change over.