Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbo upgrade

turbo addict

Re: Turbo upgrade

Wayne,
    My buddy that owns a fabrication shop has made me several. One for TO4b housings, TO4E housings, TBI header, etc. They all are a bit different to fit each turbo. He has the correct tooling to do this easily. I just make the pattern and account for thickness of material, and he bends them in seconds. Takes longer to get the correct dies installed on equipment. Yeah I know, these brackets always seem either way to flimsy, horribly designed, or never fit right for my tastes, so I make my own. Another reason to like the FM/Turbonetics logoed cover. Bolt on a Turbonetics billet actuator bracket and DONE!
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Here is my experience: gt series gave me incredible gains over my super60 series. Both were mounted on TU cast header and tu 3" S/V. my gains where 20 hp at peak, but where it gets interesting is I gained 40 at redline (same tune) and more after. The bigger turbo really breaths. As much as I enjoyed the super60 on the street. The new setup was a blessing at the track. And yes it will clear the M/C even with a 4" intake pipe sticking out of it with a filter in an l-body! Bonus is you can pull it off so much easier with the cast header if needed. Whatever you do, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Have a chat with Chris. Pretty sure he will guide you in the good direction.

turbo addict

Joey,
    Found this shot of Rob's swingvalve. This kind of shows just how big it is.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8110.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	60492  

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Joey,
    Todd
    WOW!!! Put me in coach, that's huge!!!

turbo addict

yeah it is - I have one too and I think it should be a lot better than the stock shape even the TU one still uses

with the TU manifold it also helps move the down pipe back over closer to the original location as well

-Shadow's thread from over on td .. with pics

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/...ndrel-s-v.html
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 04-06-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Hybrid booster

Joey,
    Todd
    Dang, how big around is a baseball? Is that more than 3" and if so, what size down pipe would I need?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    WOW!!! Put me in coach, that's huge!!!
    That's what she said..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    yeah it is - I have one too and I think it should be a lot better than the stock shape even the TU one still uses

with the TU manifold it also helps move the down pipe back over closer to the original location as well
    I'm using the TU manifold well.

turbo addict

shadow's sv's are 3 inch

they look like a 3 inch radiused piece of cast drain pipe grafted onto the stock housings and allow a more direct flow from the turbine housing outlet and waste gate then the stock style casting as much of the slope directly across from the turbine housing's outlets is deleated and converted into open , flowing space

he modifyed the stock castings (2 1/2") to make them

pics http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/...ndrel-s-v.html

same link as in my earlier post
    I thought I was "here" when it turns out I was still "there" lol
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 04-06-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Joey,
    Todd
    That is Hilarious! lmao!!

I've never seen that before.

One of the biggest issues I had making the 3" mandrel S/V's was trying to find a Good quality cast 3" 90 to weld to. Even the best ones I could find with the least porosity were Brutal to weld on. Always splatter and tons of clean-up after and all in between the process.

That, and making/ modding the 2 1/2" S/V flange and donut to 3" added to things as well + need a 2 1/2" S/V core to use.

There was a time early on that I looked into having them cast from a mold, but start up cost would have been 10,000+ USD and I would have had to do a massive group buy with money down and I just don't like doing that. Too many factors that are out of your hands and no matter who fault any issues are, you will always look like the "bad guy".

So I tried to source out some pieces over the last several years and even tried to have one of our own community machinists join the battle to no avail

Finally sourced a true 3" flange and made a "prototype" that I was quite happy with. Was going to swap out the cast for a Thick SS piece but ID did not jive. I really felt that IF I could spend more $'s on better quality stuff to weld out, it would pay off with a much easier piece to make. Finally tried a 3" mild steel Thick walled piece and it welded much better. Finished the prototype and it is on Martin's wagon right now.

Shortly after finishing I checked stock on the 3" flange and there were none and haven't been any available since lol

Really sucks that the ATP piece is no longer available The only reason I even made my S/V available in the first place was because there was nothing else out there for the individual that just wants to bolt on a performance piece like this without having to "build" a 3" mandrel system himself. When the ATP piece came out, I was relieved because now there was another option that the community could go for the same level of performance.

Maybe a group buy would bring ATP Back on the playing field?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Just go standard T3...

I did.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That is Hilarious! lmao!!

I've never seen that before.

One of the biggest issues I had making the 3" mandrel S/V's was trying to find a Good quality cast 3" 90 to weld to. Even the best ones I could find with the least porosity were Brutal to weld on. Always splatter and tons of clean-up after and all in between the process.

That, and making/ modding the 2 1/2" S/V flange and donut to 3" added to things as well + need a 2 1/2" S/V core to use.

There was a time early on that I looked into having them cast from a mold, but start up cost would have been 10,000+ USD and I would have had to do a massive group buy with money down and I just don't like doing that. Too many factors that are out of your hands and no matter who fault any issues are, you will always look like the "bad guy".

So I tried to source out some pieces over the last several years and even tried to have one of our own community machinists join the battle to no avail

Finally sourced a true 3" flange and made a "prototype" that I was quite happy with. Was going to swap out the cast for a Thick SS piece but ID did not jive. I really felt that IF I could spend more $'s on better quality stuff to weld out, it would pay off with a much easier piece to make. Finally tried a 3" mild steel Thick walled piece and it welded much better. Finished the prototype and it is on Martin's wagon right now.

Shortly after finishing I checked stock on the 3" flange and there were none and haven't been any available since lol

Really sucks that the ATP piece is no longer available The only reason I even made my S/V available in the first place was because there was nothing else out there for the individual that just wants to bolt on a performance piece like this without having to "build" a 3" mandrel system himself. When the ATP piece came out, I was relieved because now there was another option that the community could go for the same level of performance.

Maybe a group buy would bring ATP Back on the playing field?
    Thanks for the insight Rob. It would be nice to get some ATP housings back but you know this community, it's hard to get enough folks to commit and I personal don't have the time to wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Just go standard T3...

I did.

We'll see, I'll be contacting Chris shorty to discuss options.

Hybrid booster

Here's the size of my compressor housing. (see photos) When I purchased this from FM back when, the Enforcer III was described as using a TE34 compressor. 2" OD outlet

The compressor wheel dimensions are: 2.119" Inducer / 3.000 Exducer.

notice the inlet size of the FM compressor housing.

So, what's the consensus for possible upgrade?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turbo.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	401.1 KB 
ID:	60764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turbo2.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	596.9 KB 
ID:	60766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turbo1.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	364.9 KB 
ID:	60765  
    Last edited by Gaboon; 05-20-2017 at 06:15 PM.

It looks like you have a "B' size housing with a 50 trim To4e wheel. Specs for the 50 trim wheel are 2.122 and 3.00.

You could upgrade to a To4e cover, but whether it's worth the time and effort is up to you. Your biggest gains would come from a 3" mandrel exhaust (ATP or other) right off the turbine housing. It would lower your drive pressure significantly and allow the entire system to Breath much more efficiently.

At that point, you could also upgrade to stage 3 turbine wheel and prob spool just as fast as you are now with the stage 2

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It looks like you have a "B' size housing with a 50 trim To4e wheel. Specs for the 50 trim wheel are 2.122 and 3.00.

You could upgrade to a To4e cover, but whether it's worth the time and effort is up to you. Your biggest gains would come from a 3" mandrel exhaust (ATP or other) right off the turbine housing. It would lower your drive pressure significantly and allow the entire system to Breath much more efficiently.

At that point, you could also upgrade to stage 3 turbine wheel and prob spool just as fast as you are now with the stage 2
    How much better would the ATP outlet be compared to the TU 3" swing valve I have now?

turbo addict

Right Angle vs smooth mandrel. As long as you the room a smooth turbo outlet is ideal. Once I get my car dialed in, I have both shadows mandrel swingvalve and a tu 3" and will try and do some comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    How much better would the ATP outlet be compared to the TU 3" swing valve I have now?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Nice! I saw huge gains when I did the exact same thing on my k car (ScAries). It's in my thread but I think I lost 4-5 mph going from that to a standard 3" swingvavle and downpipe. Switched back and find my mph again. You'll love it.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

My He341 vs a cast PT6765 Feels fairly similar power wise with a similar exhaust on a similar stock engine. Huge difference between those turbos but the small one still feels very hefty.

Not a fan of stuffing in big wheels unless its a requirement. You don't get the best of both worlds.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12