Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo upgrade

Hybrid booster

Turbo upgrade

I'm building a new block and at the same time thinking about either upgrade my present turbo or at the very least have it rebuilt.

I presently have a Forward Motion enforcer 3 using a TO4 B housing 50 trim, 63 A/R housing stage II wheel with a TU 3" swing valve.

This runs my 2.2L charger 5 speed with custom intake/exhaust manifolds, ported bigger valve headed engine, custom grind 0.0525 lift roller etc...

The turbo might be considered old school but does work quitewell so I’m not sure of what I want to do.
    If I could upgrade, what would you suggest I do? Is there abetter wheel I could use in the existing housing or perhaps a GT style turbo?

I primarily drag race and later spool doesn’t bother me, thecar is presently shifted between 6500 and 7000 rpm.

Any suggestions?

Re: Turbo upgrade

Any idea which trim compressor wheel is hiding under the B cover? It would be easier to provide upgrade options if we know where you are starting from. Precision rebuilds through Turbos Unleashed are $295. for Hybrids which includes a 2 year warranty. We can discuss cost of other options once we confirm what you have.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Any idea which trim compressor wheel is hiding under the B cover? We can discuss cost of other options once we confirm what you have.

Chris-TU
    50 trim

If that's a T04E 50 trim, then the only thing you may consider is whether to run the better T04E housing with it, and maybe a stage 3 turbine wheel for slight increase in exhaust flow.

I personally would step up to the Holset HE351 from there, but that may or may not fit your bill depending on how much modding you want to do for it to work.

I'm sure Chris can suggest larger/ newer/ more "bolt-on" options for you as well.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

Any idea which trim compressor wheel is hiding under the B cover? It would be easier to provide upgrade options if we know where you are starting from. Precision rebuilds through Turbos Unleashed are $295. for Hybrids which includes a 2 year warranty. We can discuss cost of other options once we confirm what you have.

Chris-TU
    Chris, I was going to give you a call soon anyways because there's a few additional items I'm going to need (pistons for one thing and you're going to make me one sweet deal out of the goodness of your heart...)
    All I know is that the compressor wheel is a 50 trim (old style), the housing is the big TO4-E with a 3'' inlet. I assume if I went with something different it would require modifying the housing. Or maybe a newer style 50 trim wheel?

Just looking for options and opinions.

Thanks, Joey

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    50 trim

If that's a T04E 50 trim, then the only thing you may consider is whether to run the better T04E housing with it, and maybe a stage 3 turbine wheel for slight increase in exhaust flow.

I personally would step up to the Holset HE351 from there, but that may or may not fit your bill depending on how much modding you want to do for it to work.

I'm sure Chris can suggest larger/ newer/ more "bolt-on" options for you as well.
    Sorry, made a mistake in the opening post, it is in fact the larger in diameter TO4-E housing that I have.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    Sorry, made a mistake in the opening post, it is in fact the larger in diameter TO4-E housing that I have.
    That's Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen an Enforcer turbo with the To4E cover before........

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Sorry for the late reply. I am not getting email notifications like I used to.

In any case, we have received several Enforcer 3 turbochargers for rebuild and they have come in various compressor wheel trim sizes. With no consistency we recommend measuring the inducer/exducer to confirm so we know exactly what you have.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That's Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen an Enforcer turbo with the To4E cover before........
    It definitely is, I always get mixed up between the two but the housing is on the big side and comes very close to the fire wall using the old TU stainless header. looking at FM's site, they now list it at B housing but I can assure you this is an E. This is one of the big covers Mike had made and has the FM logo cast into it and the outlet has an offset on the compressor housing outlet to clear the side of the head.
    i know this is a 50 trim wheel as I had it changed a month after I bought it from the 46 trim I ordered it with originally.
    I have a 3" inlet pipe on the compressor inlet as well, if I remember correctly, the B cover had a 2.75 inlet.
    Last edited by Gaboon; 03-29-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Hybrid booster

Sorry for the late reply. I am not getting email notifications like I used to.

In any case, we have received several Enforcer 3 turbochargers for rebuild and they have come in various compressor wheel trim sizes. With no consistency we recommend measuring the inducer/exducer to confirm so we know exactly what you have.

Chris-TU
    Chris, this is definitely an older 50 trim compressor wheel. I measured it back when I had the original 46 changed out.

are there newer better wheels out there now?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

It definitely is, I always get mixed up between the two but the housing is on the big side and comes very close to the fire wall using the old TU stainless header. looking at FM's site, they now list it at B housing but I can assure you this is an E. This is one of the big covers Mike had made and has the FM logo cast into it and the outlet has an offset on the compressor housing outlet to clear the side of the head.
    i know this is a 50 trim wheel as I had it changed a month after I bought it from the 46 trim I ordered it with originally.
    I have a 3" inlet pipe on the compressor inlet as well, if I remember correctly, the B cover had a 2.75 inlet.
    I at one time had an Enforcer with a Turbonetics E cover on it.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

AFAIK, I don't believe that FM ever had an "E" cover made with the FM logo. An "E" cover would be an upgrade with the same 50 trim wheel. It would provide lower charge air temperatures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compressor Housing Comparison.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	60423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6119.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	60421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TII and FM To4b covers.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	60422Name:  specials_r10_c11.gif
Views: 551
Size:  14.4 KB
    Last edited by Chris W; 03-29-2017 at 02:15 PM.

turbo addict

Hum, now I'm confused. All the FM style "logoed" covers I've seen have had 2.75" inlets on them. IMO the FM covers are somewhere between to4B and to4E. BTW Turbonetics back in the day had a "Hi-Fi" cover that came with 2.75" inlet. The old FM covers were like that but had the actuator mounting boss added. The sad part is the FM covers had a couple issues. A STOCK actuator wouldn't bolt on (but Turbonetics one did), and the outlet although angled, wasn't angled enough to use a stock lower intercooler hose AND still clear the cylinder head. Apparently, the design never took into account that because the compressor housing is physically larger than a t3 cover, the angle would have had to be increased, and it wasn't. See 2nd & 3rd^ photo Chris borrowed from me :-)
    Pics attached are true to4E and to4B FM cover
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4798.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	60425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4806a.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	60426  

Hybrid booster

I'm soo confused....So my housing looks just like the ones pictured above wit the FM logo and angled outlet. So it is not an E cover or B.. something between?? Would TE34 ring a bell?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Hum, now I'm confused. All the FM style "logoed" covers I've seen have had 2.75" inlets on them. IMO the FM covers are somewhere between to4B and to4E. BTW Turbonetics back in the day had a "Hi-Fi" cover that came with 2.75" inlet. The old FM covers were like that but had the actuator mounting boss added. The sad part is the FM covers had a couple issues. A STOCK actuator wouldn't bolt on (but Turbonetics one did), and the outlet although angled, wasn't angled enough to use a stock lower intercooler hose AND still clear the cylinder head. Apparently, the design never took into account that because the compressor housing is physically larger than a t3 cover, the angle would have had to be increased, and it wasn't. See 2nd & 3rd^ photo Chris borrowed from me :-)
    Pics attached are true to4E and to4B FM cover
    Todd
    OD or ID?

The OD of mine is 3"

turbo addict

Joey,
    The ones I have pictured above have 2.75" OD inlet (FM) and To4E cover is 3" OD inlet. The compressor outlets are slightly different. To4E outlet OD is 2.125" and FM outlet OD is 2.0".
    Whatever you want to call it, the FM/Turbonetics compressor cover is a good one. FAR bigger than T3 cover. A smidge smaller than the to4E cover. Too bad the APT swingvalve is no longer available in the Chrysler bolt pattern. IMO, that would have been an upgrade for your highly modified engine. Pictured below is turbo similar to yours. To4E cover with S-50 wheel, stage II turbine, and ATP swingvalve.
    Todd

Name:	Todds ATP swingvalve.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	60428  

turbo addict

Maybe Rob might make a swingvalve? Probably the next best thing to the atp setup.

turbo addict

I presently have a Forward Motion enforcer 3 using a TO4 B housing 50 trim, 63 A/R housing stage II wheel with a TU 3" swing valve.

I primarily drag race and later spool doesn’t bother me, thecar is presently shifted between 6500 and 7000 rpm.

How much power or what time goal do you have in mind? What was your best 1/4 time and MPH? Do you have a dyno?

Hybrid booster

Joey,
    The ones I have pictured above have 2.75" OD inlet (FM) and To4E cover is 3" OD inlet. The compressor outlets are slightly different. To4E outlet OD is 2.125" and FM outlet OD is 2.0".
    Whatever you want to call it, the FM/Turbonetics compressor cover is a good one. FAR bigger than T3 cover. A smidge smaller than the to4E cover. Too bad the APT swingvalve is no longer available in the Chrysler bolt pattern. IMO, that would have been an upgrade for your highly modified engine. Pictured below is turbo similar to yours. To4E cover with S-50 wheel, stage II turbine, and ATP swingvalve.
    Todd
    That’s weird, I can just barely slide my 3” ID turbo inlet hoseonto the housing inlet. The outlet is 2” as the ones you’ve seen so that’s thesame.

That APT swing valve is sweet looking piece, I woulddefinitely like to bolt one of those on if I could find one.

I wish I had access to my car at the moment but it’s in astorage unit and my garage is full of snowmobiles which I need to get out ofthere. I’ll hopefully get the car home this weekend to start tearing it downand be able to provide a much better details of what I have, includingmeasurements.

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Maybe Rob might make a swingvalve? Probably the next best thing to the atp setup.
    Who's Rob? Sorry, I've been in and out of the loop for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    How much power or what time goal do you have in mind? What was your best 1/4 time and MPH? Do you have a dyno?
    As much as I can make. It’s the same old thing, whateverpower level you are at, you always want more. I was originally thinking aboutcompletely re-doing my setup but I don’t think I want to go that far, I stillhave a bunch of reno’s to do on the house and that needs to take precedenceover the toys…ßCan’t believe I just said that…Dang, I’m getting old.
    Best ET to date was 11.2 with 130 ish trap speeds, that’s witha small shot of spray. Car weighs in at 2660 lbs with me in it. (Could probablyrun a high ten as it is with better slicks) I’d like it to be in the solid 10sec range but that may take more investment than I’m willing. I don't have a dyno but have access to one.

turbo addict

Joey,
    I was also going to suggest Rob's (Shadow post 3 & 6) swingvalve, but I'm not sure it would fit correctly with your welded stainless TU swingvalve. It was designed for the stock log manifold. Not sure he even makes them anymore? I also have one of those, and put another one on friends engine. It is a welded swingvalve using 4 of the 5 attachment bolts. It is very well done and at least 3". More like 3.125". Here is a picture of it.
    Todd

Name:	Shadow  Rob M swingvalve.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	60431  

Hybrid booster

Joey,
    I was also going to suggest Rob's (Shadow post 3 & 6) swingvalve, but I'm not sure it would fit correctly with your welded stainless TU swingvalve. It was designed for the stock log manifold. Not sure he even makes them anymore? I also have one of those, and put another one on friends engine. It is a welded swingvalve using 4 of the 5 attachment bolts. It is very well done and at least 3". More like 3.125". Here is a picture of it.
    Todd
    That looks pretty nice. Do you think it would be a decent upgrade compared to the 3" TU swing valve I have now?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Joey,
    Todd
    Todd, just a quick side question...
    Where did you get that wastegate actuator bracket? Did you make? Or purchase?
    Thanks...
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast