Thread: A case of smoking!

Mitsu booster

A case of smoking!

Okay, so what I am dealing with is a case of the smokes. I will say right away that I know it is oil.

car is a 1989 Daytona, 2.2 TII block, .020" over JE pistons, TII rods, forged crank. Ported two piece intake from forward motion, Enforcer III head. Super 70 turbo, billet fuel rail, mopar +40s, etc. ND performance computer. I have already done the Compression and leak down tests, have in cyl order, 120-5%,120-8%,115-14%,120-5%.

car has 16inHg of vacuum at hot idle, (could be better) this build has roughly 30k miles on it.

so what happens, car will start up fine, doesn't smoke when first starting. Can drive around for quite a while, do some hard pulls and it's still okay. But after cruising a bit say on the highway, or just in general, it will smoke after deceleration, (quite a large amount) like after blip of throttle, car still pulls 20-22inHg while decelerating also. Should I be looking into the valve seals or guides? From my knowledge I thought the guides would usually smoke after a startup, car reallt doesn't burn oil really either, I've driven it in this present state for probably close to 3k miles. Car is still fast and made 355 whp and 375 wtq on race gas at 27 psi about a month ago.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: A case of smoking!

Sounds like turbo seals.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Sounds like turbo seals.
    Didnt even think about that, is there any other "test" I could do to maybe confirm that?

Mitsu booster

Okay so got outside today and checked the inlet of turbo, there is no shaft play at all on the wheel so that's good. Maybe it is the valve guides...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Do you have your PVC hose going into the intake manifold?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I agree with Rob, you may have dynamic or carbon seal issue. Have any oily deposits in lower intercooler hose or bottom of intercooler? How do the plugs look? Any evidence of oil on plugs? I also agree with you on vacuum. 18-19 HG would be expected with stock a camshaft. That of course could be perfectly normal if you have a larger than stock cam (more overlap). It could also be a sign of cam being a bit retarded. That would explain the slightly lower than expected compression readings. I would consider a normal 2.2 to be in the 140-150 range, but that could also just be your gauge or your method of testing. Is your PCV system still hooked up? Any restrictions in oil drainback tube? I had a similar thing many years ago, and it was because the oil silicone drainback tube started separating internally, and it had a pretty large bubble on ID of hose.
    Yeah, it could be guides too, depending on type of guide and machinists clearance specs, the clearance could be excessive. If it has bronze guides in it, you can typically run them tighter than the iron/steel guides. Have any idea what valves are in head? The reason I ask is Manley valves seem to come in new about .0015 smaller stem ID than factory valves. I had a batch of slightly tighter guides made to deal with this issue. I then hone to fit.
    Good luck, sounds like a pretty healthy 2.2 otherwise.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Do you have your PVC hose going into the intake manifold?
    This is how it is setup, only like this because there are no Other vacuum ports to connect it too. Only thing I can think of doing is perhaps welding a bung on Intake pipe before the throttle body and stick the sensor in that..[IMG]<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/detboy600/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>[/IMG]

Mitsu booster

http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/detboy600/slideshow/

I hate the way photos have to be uploaded, so much work but if either of you want to look at them there is pictures showing exactly how everything is setup as far as PCV and oil drainback goes, including driveshaft clearance issues because of the TBI turbo header. And shows my plugs, no signs of oil buildup just the orange tan from the 93 and 110 that's been through the system

Mitsu booster

The valves in the head are the 37mm and 44mm ones, whatever ones come in an Enforcer III assembly from mike, pretty much the largest bolt on ported big valve you can buy. And as far as cam timing goes, I stuck the timing light at the hole on the timing belt cover while running the notch in the gear was directly in the center like it should, so I think the cam timing is OK

boostaholic

That drain back tube, the rubber section, is looking pretty beat. If it is collapsed inside the oil flow, out of the turbo, would be compromised resulting in the seals exuding oil within the turbo thus resulting in your smoking situation.

turbo addict

Haven't had a chance to look at photos yet (slow internet connection), but having run a TBI header before, the oil drain back tube can be a challenge to fabricate one that works correctly and clears the axles (at least in an L-body). You need at least -10AN (5/8") line/fittings. I didn't use anything that FM supplied because I thought I could design something better. Not sure I have any photos of drain back area, but I'll check. Also where the fitting is placed in oil pan can be critical. Need it below spinning crank, but above oil level in pan. Then if your pan has a windage tray, that can come into play too.
    Todd

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

That drain back tube looks kinda flattened too.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD