Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Odd symptom - feels like rev limiter WAAYY early

turbo addict

Re: Odd symptom - feels like rev limiter WAAYY early

+1 , do not run 87 octane gas - use at least the 91
    also , reading your post about being low on gas
    never , never get happy with the right foot when the tank level reads 1/4 or lower
    the fuel slosh away from the pick up will cause the engine to run lean

the sticker on the fuel door should read premium fuel only
    with a stock log turbo motor I used to get excessive detionation just driving up hill gently so getting on the gas hard is only likely to damage the engine with the 87

the difference in fuel cost between 87 and 91 or 3 should show a return in increased mileage per gallon

Garrett booster

Ok - vacuum lines are done, fixed a small coolent leak, and traced my boost problem to a clogged catalytic converter. I would to thank everyone that chimed in to help me, this place is a wealth of knowledge.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Garrett booster

I'm out of ideas and about 1 ratchet click away from losing my sh!t. My lack of power and under boost problem (maxing at 5, bleeding to 2.5psi at WOT) is NOT the cat or muffler. I am 100% sure of that because I took the exhaust off at the cat and ran it about 1/2 mile for testing purposes. Vacuum lines are new, routed EXACTLY as the vacuum map says, and car idles fine. Not knly does jt idle fine, but I am getting NO codes from the computer. Just 12 and 55.
    Logic tells me it HAS to be a vacuum problem because it was overboosting, i changed the lines, now its under boosting - but I cant find a damn thing wrong or leaking, and the gauge indicates strong vacuum.
    The only other symtom is that when I went for my test drive, i noticed that around 3500 rpm, the tach no longer went up smoothly - it was more like it was twitching it way higher :/
    Anyway, im ready to smash my head under the hood - you know, because it would hurt less then trying to troubleshoot this. It might actually be time to go to a real mechanic.

Garrett booster

Problem fixed. All is right with the world. Turns out I wasnt holding my mouth right. Actually, the "orafice" (restricter) coming off the tubo amd going to the F connecter that feeds the wastegate was backwards. If anyone else runs in to to this, the brass side goes TOWARDS the turbo. Not the connector.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K3719er View Post
    Problem fixed. All is right with the world. Turns out I wasnt holding my mouth right. Actually, the "orafice" (restricter) coming off the tubo amd going to the F connecter that feeds the wastegate was backwards. If anyone else runs in to to this, the brass side goes TOWARDS the turbo. Not the connector.

that's a weird fix, that should just literally be a tiny hole that doesn't care which way it goes. But hey, if it's working now...
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

Well, the brass is shapes like a cone - which means there is space between the brass and the plastic on the inside of the connector - going through the brass first, it doesnt care about this space. Going through the wide open end, the air goes around the cone and becomes turbulent - im not very good at fluid dynamics, but I assume this is why it messed it up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123