Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd symptom - feels like rev limiter WAAYY early

Garrett booster

Re: Odd symptom - feels like rev limiter WAAYY early

Oh, I also found something I cant explain - there is a line running from the top left of the 3 way on the brake booster, to a 3 way connector on the back of the intake - the other line comming off of the back goes nowhere....just about 2 inches of hose. Also, on the BOV built in to the air filter housing, there is a nipple in front with nothing but a 90° elbow on it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by K3719er View Post
    So, I dont have aam air compressor to hook up to the lines to test the wastegate, which I think is stuck shut. Do you think a can of computer air duster would have enough pressure to open it if I could connect it well enough tonthe lin going in to the actuator?

If it's stuck shut, you are going to need more than air pressure to get it moving again. Get a can of PB blaster and soak it for days, and see if it won't work loose.

Oh, I also found something I cant explain - there is a line running from the top left of the 3 way on the brake booster, to a 3 way connector on the back of the intake - the other line comming off of the back goes nowhere....just about 2 inches of hose. Also, on the BOV built in to the air filter housing, there is a nipple in front with nothing but a 90° elbow on it.

Here is what you need:

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo/turbo191.jpg

Garrett booster

What about this off the back of the intake - the vacuum diagram says it goes to the compressor bypass - is that the nipple on the front of the bov?

- - - Updated - - -

[IMG][/IMG]

turbo addict

What about this off the back of the intake - the vacuum diagram says it goes to the compressor bypass - is that the nipple on the front of the bov?

- - - Updated - - -

[IMG][/IMG]
    That 3/8 hose go to the brake booster.

Cleared the old codes, now Im just getting 12, 45, and 55 -

So, just 45.
    Are using stock boost control or g-valve/manual boost controller?

What do you mean by hit the wall? The engine won't rev over 5000 rpm or fuel cut at 5000rpm?

Garrett booster

Tryingbe - I was talking about the empty sode of that connector. I ran a line to the BOV on the airbox, that seems to have fixed SOME of the overboost problem. Im now thinking there is a small vacuum leak somewhere, I just havnt found it yet. As far as boost control, its a completely stock set up.

Garrett booster

Oh, and by hit the wall, I mean fuel cut off. The engine jolts and revs down

- - - Updated - - -

[IMG][/IMG]

Yes, the compresor bypass is Chrysler's name for the BOV.

Hybrid booster

Wow - did the car idle really high with that much of a vacuum leak? If that one line was wrong, maybe you should check and redo all vacuum lines to ensure that they are hooked up correctly. That would be step 1.

For step 2, unless you've got popeye forearms, you should be able to sneak your arm in from the left side of the intake and reach over to see if you can get the wastegate arm to move at all. If you can get someone to help you, you can try to have them use the compressed air canister you have and have them pump the compressed air into the wastegate line while your hand is on the wastegate arm (obviously, don't try this on a hot engine...ask me how I know...LOL). As long as the compressed air can is able to produce a pound or two of pressure in the line, you should feel the wastegate arm move a little. If you don't feel it move, try unhooking the arm and see if you can move the wastegate flapper by hand. If not, then you've got a stuck wastegate - good luck - those are not fun at all to try to free up!

Garrett booster

Jonny - surprisingly the car ran fine without that vaccum line on. I dont know that its ever been hooked up the whole time ive had the car. I think Im going to re run every vacuum line next week. I can reuse all the check valves, but I think most of the orifices have dissapeared over the years. How necessary are they?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Sounds like it's either running out of fuel (ie weak pump) or maybe hitting overboost fuel cut.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

Its throwing code 45, which is "Turbo boost limit exceeded (engine was shut down by logic module)" - although I do think this fuel pump is on its way out. Time to upgrade!

Hybrid booster

I can reuse all the check valves, but I think most of the orifices have dissapeared over the years. How necessary are they?
    Check valves are definitely required. The orifices can probably be eliminated, but that may lead to overboost depending on what turbo you have. In a pinch, MIG welding tips work fine as orifices. You can pick up a package of them for a couple bucks at Harbor Freight or the like.

Garrett booster

Quick update: I am now leaning towards pre ignition or engine knock as the issue. I was almost out of the 87 octane, went to the gas station, and they only had 93 on the pump. So, $5 in the tank it went. 2 things weird happened: 1) engine sputtered upon start for about 2 sec then smoothed right out, and 2) a quick push of it in second and third gear produced rpms of 5500 before fuel cut off. Gonna fill it with 93 tomorrow ( whats in the tank is probably close to a half&half mix of 87 and 93) on my way to get new vaccum line and fittings and see if that fixes all issues.

turbo addict

Here I am, in AZ, highest I can get is 91 octane.

Do not use 87 octane unless you drive a non-turbo car.

Garrett booster

Here in NC, I can even get 100 octane at some places and ethanol free gas at others.

Garrett booster

OH GOODIE! Got an update. Ive re run about 50% of the vacuum lines with the silicone hoses from FWDperformance - started with all the stuff hidden down under the airbox. I found a line coming off of the F connector and going to the turbo that was rotten and had holes, so I believe that was the source of my overboost problem. I replaced it all hose by hose, using the same size and length of the original, re used the connectors (they were good) and made sure everything was good. Now im only getting about 2.5 psi of boost MAX. I think it is one of 2 things - either the solenoid is done for, or i didnt quite get the hose from the turbo to the throttle body tightened good enough. Wont be able to check til I get home, but if anyone has any other ideas, Id love to hear them.

Here is a quick test of the actuator if you don't find something obvious.

Hook a vacuum line directly from the nipple on the outlet of the turbo to the wastegate actuator, then go for a drive. This should give you about 7 psi of boost maximum. That's the set spring pressure on the wastegate can. If it varies from that by much, chances are your actuator is bad... If it holds right about 7 psi, then you still have an issue with your plumbing...

Garrett booster

Looked at on my lunch break, and apparently I was sleep mechanicing this morning. I only have half of the hose clamp on the pipe. ......./facepalm.

Garrett booster

Hose clamp fixed, problem isnt - although, hypothetically speaking, if I had accidently used a hose with an inner diameter way bigger than the original line, would it present symptoms of a vacuum leak even if there wasnt one?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast