Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd symptom - feels like rev limiter WAAYY early

Garrett booster

Odd symptom - feels like rev limiter WAAYY early

Hi folks -

So, I just got the head redone, new pistons/rings, timing belt done on the 91 Daytona CS I have, and now that its broken in, I wanted to see what it would do.

Today while running it, it felt like the rev limiter hit at 5000 rpm in 2nd and third, and then around 4k rpm in 4th at WOT. Boost gauge is reading about 11psi, and the car feels amazing until it seems to just hit a wall at those revs. Currrently it has about 3/4 tank of 89 octane in it.

Any ideas?

turbo addict

Re: Odd symptom - feels like rev limiter WAAYY early

any codes?

Garrett booster

Check engine light hasnt come on, so I dont think so - should I check anyway?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

What kind of pistons/rings? Did you go forged, and what kind of clearance? Just wonder if the knock sensor is kicking in and shutting you down...

Garrett booster

Codes are as follows, in order: 12 45 13 13 22 24 35 55

- - - Updated - - -

And I am unsure of the type and clearance - I took it to a local shop, the guy who own it worked for Chrysler building these engines in the late 80s, so he knows what he is doing.

Garrett booster

Looked at the codes - seems like the computer shut me down due to MAP sensor, TPS, Air temp, and overboost - Its making more of a whistle then a woosh under boost - could the wastegate not be opening correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by K3719er View Post
    Looked at the codes - seems like the computer shut me down due to MAP sensor, TPS, Air temp, and overboost - Its making more of a whistle then a woosh under boost - could the wastegate not be opening correctly?

That, or you have a boost leak somewhere. Which could be causing the wastegate to not open correctly...

Another thing to check, since all the codes are for sensors in the system, maybe back probe them to make sure they are getting correct voltage. Almost sounds like you have a bad ground, or a loose wire somewhere. If you only have 11psi of boost, it shouldn't be sending you into overboost shutdown.

Also check you baro solenoid to make sure it isn't leaking, that could give you a MAP fault.

Garrett booster

Thanks - probably a vacuum line somewhere being stubborn. I will update later to let you know how it went.

Garrett booster

Ok, found this broken ground strap that runs from the intake mainifold to the firewall right above the baro solenoid - think thats it?[IMG][/IMG]

Ok, found this broken ground strap that runs from the intake mainifold to the firewall right above the baro solenoid - think thats it?[IMG][/IMG]
    Yep.

That ground strap broken will give you all kinds of grief. That also explains all the sensor faults you are getting.

Garrett booster

83Scamp, you are a scholar and a gentleman. Fixed it by re crimping it and then putting some electrical solder on it since it didnt brimp as well as it was. Gonna go drive it in a bit, but man I hope you're right.

83Scamp, you are a scholar and a gentleman. Fixed it by re crimping it and then putting some electrical solder on it since it didnt brimp as well as it was. Gonna go drive it in a bit, but man I hope you're right.
    I hope so too. I know from other posts, that ground wire has been the cause of more frustration with folks over the years than just about anything else... It's one of the easiest things to overlook too...

Garrett booster

Well, I was able to red line it in 1st and 2nd, and I thought I was good until it did it again at about 5k rpm in third. Checked the ground strap, and its still good - now, the only other thing thats going on with it I am pretty sure is unrelated, but Ive been wrong before - just ask my wife.

Anyway, on one of the shift cables, the rubber boot is sliding apart, causing the gear shift to go past where it usually does and gives it a spongy feel going in to 2nd, 4th, and R - I wiggled it back in and it was fine before my test drive, BUT after the ecu cut engine power in third, I stopped to turn around and noticed it had wiggled out again when I went it R - coincident? Is their some kind of shift cable sensor I dont know about?

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe the ground strap I fixed isnt really fixed - Ill have to find my multimeter

Well, I was able to red line it in 1st and 2nd, and I thought I was good until it did it again at about 5k rpm in third. Checked the ground strap, and its still good - now, the only other thing thats going on with it I am pretty sure is unrelated, but Ive been wrong before - just ask my wife.

Anyway, on one of the shift cables, the rubber boot is sliding apart, causing the gear shift to go past where it usually does and gives it a spongy feel going in to 2nd, 4th, and R - I wiggled it back in and it was fine before my test drive, BUT after the ecu cut engine power in third, I stopped to turn around and noticed it had wiggled out again when I went it R - coincident? Is their some kind of shift cable sensor I dont know about?

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe the ground strap I fixed isnt really fixed - Ill have to find my multimeter
    Unhook the battery for about 20 minutes and then go for another drive. If it doesn it again, read the codes and post back. Unhooking the battery will clear the previous codes so you are starting fresh.

We'll get it figured out. I'm going to be offline for the next 2-3 hours anyways, so if I don't post back for a while don't worry, I'll get back to you.

Another thing, make sure where that ground strap attaches to the firewall & manifold is nice & clean. That can cause just as many issues as a broken wire.

Maybe some others will see this and jump in as well...

Hybrid booster

sounds like over boost.
    do as said above reset codes. go for a drive.

I would suggest going to a car stereo place.. getting 4-5 foot of 8ga black ground cable and a handfull of ring terminals.

I put a few extra grounds on cars when i do them. these things dont get any younger. and wires never get less resistance..

can you move the boost gauge reading to a different spot? or put it on the MAP hose.

Garrett booster

Cleared the old codes, now Im just getting 12, 45, and 55 -

So, just 45.

Hybrid booster

As mentioned above - check the line going to your wastegate and make sure it's not leaking (or disconnected). Are you running the factory ECU? I think for you car the factory target boost level is around 9psi and overboost shutdown is around 12.5 psi.

Garrett booster

As far as I know it is a factory ecu, and all the lines check out - visually at least. I dont have anything to test them with :/

Garrett booster

And on another note, Id LOVE to be able to actually GET to my wastegate arm to move it around

Garrett booster

So, I dont have aam air compressor to hook up to the lines to test the wastegate, which I think is stuck shut. Do you think a can of computer air duster would have enough pressure to open it if I could connect it well enough tonthe lin going in to the actuator?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast