Thread: 3D printing

Garrett booster

3D printing

I dont know if anyone on this forum has access to a 3d printer, but if you do, I bet their is a little cash to be made printing out interior parts that always seem to be breaking or missing (talking to you Daytona ashtray console bracket!!)

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Hybrid booster

Re: 3D printing

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

There is very little money in 3D printing due to the amount of time and material it takes to print a part. Add to that the time it takes to design, test and devolep the part. Oh yeah, there that expensive 3D modelling software and a computer to run it on too.
    Once it is all done, you sell few and then it flatlines. I'm not bitching because sales are slow, I enjoyed making the parts and providing something people needed to make their cars a little better.
    The fact of it all is that it isn't lucrative, but it is convenient when you have the resources.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/glh

boostaholic

Andy your window regulator parts made such a huge difference to my GLHS. Pity it's not more lucrative because I'm still amazed every time I move that window crank.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    There is very little money in 3D printing due to the amount of time and material it takes to print a part. Add to that the time it takes to design, test and devolep the part. Oh yeah, there that expensive 3D modelling software and a computer to run it on too.
    Once it is all done, you sell few and then it flatlines. I'm not bitching because sales are slow, I enjoyed making the parts and providing something people needed to make their cars a little better.
    The fact of it all is that it isn't lucrative, but it is convenient when you have the resources.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/glh
    hopefully we can use your services to look at enclosures for the mpscilink device and/or screen.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Garrett booster

I can attest to the time and cost. A small chess size piece generally takes around an hour to print. Then test fit, then print again, repeat 4 or 5 more times, the. Print the final product at .1 or. 05 microns and that print takes about 2 or three hours. Then test fit and reprint if nessesary. Just designing and fitting a specialty part takes around 2 days to design and print the first usable product. I do this all the time designing and printing stuff I need. The cost of 3d design programs is outrageous filiment is about the only thing that is cheap

Garrett booster

I have no doubt that the process is time consuming. I used to use 3DsMax and Maya to do the 3d modeling for unreal tournament mods - and those dont have to be exact. Its really awesome though there are a few ppl here who can do that stuff though - as 3d printing becomes more accessible though, what about starting a database of downloadable designs for some of these hard to reach parts? Perhaps people who are parting out their cars can send certain peices to you fine folks to scan and archive, then have them sent back. Charge a few bucks to download the blueprints too for people who dont need you print them.

These are all just ideas though. I dont have acess to the software right now, or I would volunteer to help - but in the long run, would a thorough database of parts availble for printing be amazing? Parts are rare enough, with some only able to be salvaged from the dead or dying - eventually, its gonna sad times when they go from rare to mythical.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I used to offer my designs for free to download. Then I found out some people were printing and selling them, claiming it was their design. One person was just selling the files.
    This was a violation of the Creative Commons license covering the designs, so I took them down.

Your idea is good, but if someone were to invest tens of thousands in a scanner capable of making usable model files, they would want to recoup some of that cost.
    Last edited by ajakeski; 03-21-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Garrett booster

Naw, I wouldnt expect anyone to invest in a scanner or anything just for this - I was talking about if someone happened to already have one or had access to one through work or a friend.

Alternatively, who here would buy a brands new Daytona if Dodge brought it back with the same level of detail they showed the new Challengers?