Thread: 1991 Daytona C/S technical specs

Garrett booster

1991 Daytona C/S technical specs

I'm trying to compile a list of the technical specs of my car, and I have some serious road blocks to finding accurate information. One being the rarity, and 2 being that most of our cars here pre-date the internet. That being said, I believe I have found a good resource to start: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ca..._5l_turbo.html

A few things seem to be off though that would be specific to the C/S package, such as the curb weight. It's my understanding that the C/S package shed about 200lbs off of the base model (or it might of been off of the Shelby model) - but again, that info is based on this short paper: http://sdacncc.sv-td.com/Daytona%20C...icle%20WEB.pdf

Another inaccuracy that THINK I may have found, is the gear gear ratios it lists. The C/S came with the A568 manual trans, which this site: http://www.minimopar.net/transmanual.html - lists the ratios as
    ('90-'91)('92-'93)
    1st3.00:13.31:1
    2nd1.89:11.89:1
    3rd1.28:11.28:1
    4th0.94:10.94:1
    5th0.71:10.71:1
    Reverse3.14:13.14:1
    Final Drive3.85:13.85:1
    Overall2.73:12.73:1

versus the ratios of :

Gear ratios (overall):

I 3.29 (12.67)

II 2.08 (8.01)

III 1.45 (5.58)

IV 1.04 (4)

V 0.72 (2.77)

given on the automobile catalogue site I linked.

But that's just what I see, and I by no mean consider myself an expert. Some of you however, most likely are - so, if there are any definitive resources out there for the C/S Daytona's, or some one happens to definitively know a piece of information, please post it. There probably arent enough C/S's on the road to make this a super popular thread, but I definitely think we should start consolidating information SOMEWHERE.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: 1991 Daytona C/S technical specs

Yeah well stats are nice to have tucked away somewhere but um, does it RUN and drive? If so what does it need or what do you want to change/upgrade/modify? Pics would be cool too Much more interesting than stats IMO

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

Oh yeah, it runs - Like brand new. Just had the head recast, new pistons, new rings, new gaskets, belts, and vacuum lines done 800 miles ago. paint still looks good too for being original. I will take some pics in the daylight to add to the forums.

Now, as far as my plans for it - Now that all the MAJOR mechanical issues are solved (head had 6 cracks in it) I can start upgrading it bit by bit. Here is a list, in the order I would like to do it, with the ultimate goal being to maintain the original look and feel of the car while significantly increasing its performance (250 - 300 hp feels obtainable.) I think Im on the right track, but feel free to point out anything I am being less than smart on as I provide more in depth info.

- Intercooler
    - Larger injectors
    - Stronger Fuel pump
    - Haltech Elite 1500 ECU
    - Increase boost to 15 psi
    - New paint (original color)
    - Redo interior

Now some of the things I DONT know that would be helpful - Like, flow rate of the stock injectors and fuel pump, the size of the stock throttle body, if my goals are even obtainable without a complete engine swap.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

The part about the C/S beening 200 lbs lighter is false. Carroll Shelby had developed a pre production 1st gen Daytona C/S with a strip interior that was lighter but the regular production C/S's wasn't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    The part about the C/S beening 200 lbs lighter is false. Carroll Shelby had developed a pre production 1st gen Daytona C/S with a strip interior that was lighter but the regular production C/S's wasn't.
    This is true on the first gen C/S cars. They were generally well optioned. But, the 2nd gen Daytona C/S's(88+) were more what Shelby intended. They had all the go fast goodies from the Shelby version, but in a base body, no ground effects, no power options(windows, locks, seats, etc). So they were about 200 lb lighter than the Shelby or ES model. I'm not sure you could even get A/C in one....

As far as the trans gearing, I'd believe the minimopar site before the other one...

Garrett booster

Scamp - Mine came with a/c, power locks, and a driver air bag - other than that, its a bout as stripped as can be. I contacted Dodge when I bought it, gave them the VIN, and they provided rhe following:

VIN 1B3XG24J5MG133053
    Vehicle Description DODGE DAYTONA TWO-DOOR HATCHBACK
    Model Year 1991
    Body Model AG V L 24
    Color Banzai Blue Metallic Clear Coat (Paint Code PC3)

Sales Code Description
    *J7 Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
    -DW Med/Light Quartz
    ADAP Light Group
    APAS Monotone Paint
    AWN Skid Plate/Tow Hook Group
    BARS 90 Amp Alternator
    BCDS 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
    BREP 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
    CACS Low Back Bucket Seats
    CDBS Reclining Front Seats
    CDDS Luxury Bucket Driver Seat
    CGTS Driver Air Bag Only
    CKBS Floor Carpet
    CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
    CLAP Front Floor Mats
    CUFS Full Length Floor Console
    DDV 5-Speed Manual High Capacity Transmission
    DLDS 2.7 Overall Top Gear Ratio
    EDT 2.5L Multi Point Fuel Inj. High Torque Turbo I
    GACS Tinted Glass Windows
    GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
    GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
    GNES Passenger Side Sun Visor w/Mirror
    GRKP Left Power Mirror
    GSKP Right Power Mirror
    GTKP Power Mirrors
    GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
    HAAP Air Conditioning
    HGAS Hood Insulation
    JCEP 140 MPH Primary Speedometer
    JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
    JJAS Cigar Lighter
    JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
    JKAS Locking Glove Box
    JKBS Inst Panel Mounted Hood Release
    JKDS Remote Fuel Door Release
    JKES Remote Trunklid Release
    JLJS Body Controller
    JPHP Speed Sensitive Power Locks
    LAGS Warning Chime
    LAKS Headlamps On Warning Chimes
    LBCP Glove Box Lamp
    LBDS Ash Tray Lamp
    LBJS Ignition Halo w/Time Delay Lamp
    LCAP Front Courtesy/Map Lamps
    LDAP Underhood Lamp
    LDBP Cargo Compartment Lamp
    LMAS Halogen Headlamps
    MCRS MOPAR Chrome Front Air Deflector
    MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
    MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
    MMCS Rear Door Solid Window Insert
    MXAS Front Air Dam
    MXDP Trunklid Spoiler
    NAAS Federal Emissions
    NBKS EVAP Control System
    NDAS Catalytic Converter
    NHMP Speed Control
    PC3 Banzai Blue Metallic Clear Coat
    RASP AM/FM Cassette Radio
    RCDP 4 Speakers
    SBBS Firm Feel Power Steering
    SCHS Sport Steering Wheel
    SDEP Sport Suspension
    SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
    SHCS Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars
    SUAP Tilt Steering Column
    TBCS Compact Spare Tire
    WNAP 16X6.0 Aluminum Wheels
    XFAS -35F Protection Anti-Freeze
    YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
    Z05P Rear Spring Group V
    Z58P Left Front Spring Group Viii
    Z76P Right Front Spring Group VI

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I wonder why different front springs? Do they actually put a heavier spring on the drivers side to compensate for the heaviest corner?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

There were 2 packages available in '89 AGB - Performance, AGS - Competition. http://sdacncc.sv-td.com/Daytona%20C...icle%20WEB.pdf . I have the '88 AGB which was the only pkg available then, but have upgraded the suspension and drivetrain to AGS.

Hybrid booster

Minimopar for sure on the trans info. Or this one on ddg: http://www.thedodgegarage.com/trans_guide.html

I'm guessing that other site is quoting info for a base model daytona, and that's probably why it shows 15" wheels and the A-523 trans gear ratios etc.

Garrett booster

I have a '91 CS/AGS that I bought brand new in 1991. Factory power windows, power locks, power heated mirrors, a/c, rear defrost. Major packages:

AGVL24 Base Daytona coupe
    PW7 bright white exterior
    J7R8 bordeaux cloth interior
    AGS C/S competition package (includes hi-torque Turbo engine with high capacity five speed transaxle, 16" unidirectional "Pumper" wheels with locking lugs, Shelby-type maximum performance suspension, ultra-high-performance four wheel disc brakes, rear deck spoiler, C/S badging, turbo boost gauge, power bulge hood with "turbo" decals, performance-tuned exhaust, P205/55VR16 speed rated radial tires)
    AWN Super Discount Package (a/c, floor mats, glove box light, underhood light, cargo area light, dual map/reading lights, dual power remote heated rear view mirrors, tilt steering column, power door locks, electronic speed control, AM stereo /FM stereo / cassette with 4 speakers)
    JPA power windows
    GFA rear window defroster

I have all the rest of the options as listed above but figured for this thread's purpose I'd just list the "majors". IIRC there were no roof options (sunroof or t-tops) for the AGS cars as a final nod to "weight savings", but AGB cars could get a sunroof. Also comp cars never got leather, power seats, or automatic transmissions. No Infinity option either, as per the "base" Daytona requirements - you had to get an ES or Shelby to access power seats, leather, or Infinity.

From what I recall - I have to dig out the production numbers that I got years ago, but am having a hard time locating them unfortunately - there were 1,329 hi-torque 2.5 turbo Daytonas built in '91. 150 CS/AGS cars. 26 in my white/maroon combo with white pumpers. Those are based on production sheets that listed total Daytona production, with decimal-point values for each option package (i.e. total Daytona production was XX,XXX units; AGS packages made up 0.xxxxx of total production which equalled 150 cars). Once I find those sheets I'll make sure to post them, but I've moved a couple times since I had them and I've had the car in and out of storage a few times as well (74k original miles, only paintwork is the nose and passenger front fender due to a parking brake failure in '92). The car is back to stock/survivor status with the exception of a black painted intake; Shelby valve cover; 2.5" mandrel exhaust; Mopar Performance lowering springs; and white Autometer boost and a/f gauges. I used to have it intercooled with a big Garrett, +40s, ported 2 piece, grainger, 3bar...but given its rarity and near-showroom condition I decided I'd have more fun with it as a survivor so it's back to the Mitsu, factory intake (with paint; if I ever have to do a headgasket it'll get a stock silver one again); no intercooler; and stock injectors. I do still have a grainger on it though, since the computer has an issue and only has a 4psi boost goal for some reason. 12psi on a grainger works just fine, though

I also have original '91 brochures if anyone wants to host scans of them.