Thread: Instructions for Install of Girdle on A525?

Garrett booster

Instructions for Install of Girdle on A525?

Good Evening, All—

Has anyone ever put instructions together for the install of the girdle on the A525? I was hoping to install it with the transmission still in the car and figured it would be a pain, but was wondering if it was physically possible.

Also, from a photo I had of an installed girdle, it looked like the rolled edge of the differential cover had been cut away so the girdle would sit flush with the cover sealing surface. Can anyone confirm this has (or doesn’t need) to be done? If so, I will put an ad up to seek a used A525 diff. cover, hopefully someone would have one floating around they would be willing to sell.

Thank you all in advance!

Dave

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: Instructions for Install of Girdle on A525?

The girdle bolts on over the rear differential cover and the bearing retainer on the side. You have to remove the axle and associated bolts on the diff cover and bearing retainer. If you have the LRE girdle, you have to grind down the entire lip of the diff cover. If you have the smaller DC style, then you only need to grind the lip off that edge of the cover.
    Once the modifications are done, lay the girdle over the transmission case and bolt it on.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Or save yourself a lot of future grief and just install and A-520 and be done with it...

If you are installing a girdle, you are obviously planning on pounding on the trans. The girdle only postpones the inevitable.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Or save yourself a lot of future grief and just install and A-520 and be done with it...

If you are installing a girdle, you are obviously planning on pounding on the trans. The girdle only postpones the inevitable.

Thank you for the replies! Nah, not intending to thrash the car at all, it's an '86 GLHS with 12K original miles. The girdle was just a precaution against occasional "spirited" driving. The originality is why I was sticking with the original transmission, at least until something major broke and forced me to change it.

Thanks again!
    Dave

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

A girdle and moly bearing plate go a long way to make a 525 in good condition last longer.
    another thing to look into is a set of differential pin retainers. Last I looked they were hard to find, but you can make your own out of some 14 gauge steel.
    The advantage the 520/555 have is a better differential design and a stronger differential section of the case. Yes, the 520/555 has better gears, but after 87 the 525 received stronger gears from the 520.

Quote Originally Posted by djm3452004 View Post
    Thank you for the replies! Nah, not intending to thrash the car at all, it's an '86 GLHS with 12K original miles. The girdle was just a precaution against occasional "spirited" driving. The originality is why I was sticking with the original transmission, at least until something major broke and forced me to change it.

Thanks again!
    Dave
    That makes more sense.

I managed to toast the 525 in my Scamp last fall, and I really wasn't beating on it when it started making noise(not that I hadn't beat on it all summer). At this point, I'm not sure what let go. I've been working on the new engine/trans combo, so I haven't pulled the old out yet to see what the carnage was...

turbo addict

Make sure you use longer bolts than original to secure girdle, as the girdle being .250" thick, will have that much less thread engagement otherwise. Test fit to make sure it fits correctly, I've had to tweak a few of them that weren't bent quite right. All the bolts are going into soft aluminum, so it must fit well or the bolts could pull the threads out of the aluminum and wreck you day and your transmission case. Torque bolts to spec!
    I've had a diff pin break on a 525. It is REALLY ugly. Mine broke going through traps at somewhere around 110 MPH! Did about $3500 in parts damage to my GLHT. Lucky I didn't crash the car. The shrapnel hitting the floor pan felt like it was gonna come right through the floorboards.
    If I were you, I would seriously limit as much on-off throttle at speed as much as possible. Such as when autocrossing or letting off throttle at end of 1/4 mile. That is what consistently killed mine.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Make sure you use longer bolts than original to secure girdle, as the girdle being .250" thick, will have that much less thread engagement otherwise. Test fit to make sure it fits correctly, I've had to tweak a few of them that weren't bent quite right. All the bolts are going into soft aluminum, so it must fit well or the bolts could pull the threads out of the aluminum and wreck you day and your transmission case. Torque bolts to spec!
    I've had a diff pin break on a 525. It is REALLY ugly. Mine broke going through traps at somewhere around 110 MPH! Did about $3500 in parts damage to my GLHT. Lucky I didn't crash the car. The shrapnel hitting the floor pan felt like it was gonna come right through the floorboards.
    If I were you, I would seriously limit as much on-off throttle at speed as much as possible. Such as when autocrossing or letting off throttle at end of 1/4 mile. That is what consistently killed mine.
    Todd
    +1 it is the off throttle side thrust of the helical gears that really eats these transmissions. The left side bearing being so far in allows a lot of stress to be put on that side of the case. That is why the girdle is made for the left side.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Todd

Thanks for the tips/information! I appreciate the input --

Dave