Thread: Shelby Charger

Mitsu booster

Shelby Charger

Date: 12th March 2017
    Username: 81gMachine
    Full Name: Kyle Courtright
    City, State, Zip: Airvile, PA 17302
    Selling or Wanted Price: Negotiable depending on condition

As a newbie, I'd like to start with Hi, my name is Kyle. I work at an antique car restoration shop where I handle all the paint and metal work. My mother bought an 83 Charger new and still has it to this day. I wont get that car for awhile so I'm looking to find one for myself. As her's is original, I'd like to find another to tastefully mod and have fun with.

I'd preferably like to find a blue and silver one with a decent interior. However I'm not set on color, nor condition. I have the ability to bring any car back from the dead. So I'd be more then happy to buy a project car that is relatively complete, but needing little or major work, rust and all. I'm willing to pick a car up out of state as well. I know this is the turbo section, but I'd prefer an N/A car however I also wouldn't turn down a turbo one. Just want to say N/A > over turbo is what I'd like but I'd be happy with finding either.

The only Must I have is; full set of seats, at least worthy of making patterns to sew new ones up.

I would also consider a roller without a motor

Thanks for looking, below are a couple pics of my Mother's car

Picture from the mid 80s of my Mothers Charger with my Dad's blazer

Mom's Charger with my Camaro back in 2005ish

turbo addict

Re: Shelby Charger

Cool welcome! ,I love the Shelby chargers too. Just FYI I have heard some guys have a real hard time finding windshields for them, so if the one you buy needs one check around for the glass first.

Just curious what makes you want NA instead of turbo? Most guys want the POWER lol.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

Your in a good area to find one. There are a few available on Mopar L Body Club on Facebook. There are some in Indiana, Ohio etc. Pa always seems to have L-Bodys pop up. Good luck to you!

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    Cool welcome! ,I love the Shelby chargers too. Just FYI I have heard some guys have a real hard time finding windshields for them, so if the one you buy needs one check around for the glass first.

Just curious what makes you want NA instead of turbo? Most guys want the POWER lol.
    I imagine finding any glass for the car could be problematic. As for wanting N/A. Looking to build a nice back road carver. Cams, high compression and webbers are on my idea list for performance. Turbo would be nice but that would depend on what I spend to get into a car 1st. Would you mind linking me to a few turbo threads that would help me gather knowledge on building a setup to last.

Quote Originally Posted by rdnoel86 View Post
    Your in a good area to find one. There are a few available on Mopar L Body Club on Facebook. There are some in Indiana, Ohio etc. Pa always seems to have L-Bodys pop up. Good luck to you!
    I see that as well. There was a nice 86 on ebay last week that had a whole bunch of work done. Built motor w/ turbo, tasteful mods and such. Never met his reserve. Ad said he has 40k invested into the car. Sucked he got rid of the factory seats for racing seats as I love the originals. About 6 times a year I'll ebay and see what I can find. Been doing that for about a decade now. I'm at the point where I'm just gonna pull the trigger and get one. Acquiring one is the challenge, I can plan and build the car whenever.

turbo addict

Overall I am not sure how much power a modded carb car can make but I think you would love a T2 stage 2 setup which if you dont know means a garret Chrysler turbo intercooler and a computer that puts the boost to about 15 psi. With a 2.5" exhaust it would be around 215 hp in my opinion. Your biggest issue is that the transmissions in those chargers don't like to even handle 180hp for too long but there are a few options you can swap it with for not too much money I used a 523 and have been happy with it. As for carving the roads you can still get Koni coil overs from FWD Performance i believe, and Johnny at Polybushings.com sells bushings and swaybars for these cars as he used to be big time into autocross and started developing suspension upgrades.

With the same setup and a stock 2" exhaust I pissed off a 2003 Porsche Carrera 911 back when it was new. As for reliability this was my daily driver for 2 years and only problems i had were minor and not really related to the horsepower.
    This forum is by far the best place to search and learn more about these cars and I would be happy to answer anything I could.

Mitsu booster

Thank you

I will be browsing this place in my free time. Learning what I can about these cars and motors. Until then, I'll keep this thread alive every few months until I track one down.

turbo addict

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    I feel the 1st link it over priced. Also a bit of a hike to go get, where the NY car is manageable to pick up. I emailed the 2nd link. Thanks for the links.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Welcome to TM.com. You have a private message...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

You have a private messsage.

Mitsu booster

Well the hunt is over. Found one within 15mins of my house. Kinda funny since over the summer my father and I drive to NY to buy an 85. Left with cash in my pocket and an empty car trailer. 2 weeks ago my boss texted me a local one for sale. Went and looked at it on a tue and the next tue I was driving it home.

Very clean car with 65k miles on it. No rust and came we a decent amount done to it.

Car has a 387 ratio trans with a centerforce stage 2 clutch
    New mopar struts and shocks, new brakes, new calipers
    mopar performance computer
    mopar performance injectors
    forward motion throttle body
    foward motion enforcer cam shaft
    foward motion enforcer cylinder head
    mopar performance rocker arms
    mopar performance head gasket
    mp performance rings
    mopar performance head bolts
    mopar timing belt
    180 deg thermostat
    mopar performance wires with msd coil
    2.5 inch exhaust with flowmaster muffler
    Autometer boost gauge

Car was in MD previously and PA before that. If anyone knows of the car lmk. I'd like to learn more specifics about the work done.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 81gMachine View Post
    Well the hunt is over. Found one within 15mins of my house. Kinda funny since over the summer my father and I drive to NY to buy an 85. Left with cash in my pocket and an empty car trailer. 2 weeks ago my boss texted me a local one for sale. Went and looked at it on a tue and the next tue I was driving it home.

Very clean car with 65k miles on it. No rust and came we a decent amount done to it.

Car has a 387 ratio trans with a centerforce stage 2 clutch
    New mopar struts and shocks, new brakes, new calipers
    mopar performance computer
    mopar performance injectors
    forward motion throttle body
    foward motion enforcer cam shaft
    foward motion enforcer cylinder head
    mopar performance rocker arms
    mopar performance head gasket
    mp performance rings
    mopar performance head bolts
    mopar timing belt
    180 deg thermostat
    mopar performance wires with msd coil
    2.5 inch exhaust with flowmaster muffler
    Autometer boost gauge

Car was in MD previously and PA before that. If anyone knows of the car lmk. I'd like to learn more specifics about the work done.

Very nice. Lots of these 80 cars still stashed away.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!