Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a413 torque converter

turbo addict

a413 torque converter

Im going auto in my Omni. I am in need of a converter. Who can tell me what I need based off my specs?

car 2600 w/driver
    2.5 8v
    a-413
    precision 5431 w/ tubular header
    big plenum intake
    f4 cam

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: a413 torque converter

What are your goals/objectives/uses for the car ?
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

turbo addict

to go as fast as possible

turbo addict

Usually set the stall to close to max torque rpm of the engine or in powerband of the Cam. The amount of torque made will determine how the builder sets up the convertor.
    Sounds like you should ask Wayne what he had in mean-mini. Sounds like a similar setup for cam and power wise.

turbo addict

I actually spoke to him last night. The previous set up made 425whp and 400ft lbs. I haven't run the new set up but I'm hoping for 100hp more. went to a "smaller" turbo to regain my low end grunt. Unfortunately I won't run this set up soon enough to order a converter after dynoing so I'm trying to get one bought/ordered before based on specs. My first race is may 6! I'm on a time crunch.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

May I ask what was the turbo on your old set up? For your power goals it seems like you would be maxing out a 5431.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rdnoel86 View Post
    May I ask what was the turbo on your old set up? For your power goals it seems like you would be maxing out a 5431.
    I had a he341 on it previously. I do mostly 1/8 racing so I want to build for that. This new turbo will be maxed out but will deliver better low end performance that I'm after.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    I had a he341 on it previously. I do mostly 1/8 racing so I want to build for that. This new turbo will be maxed out but will deliver better low end performance that I'm after.
    I ran an out of boost stall of 3500 rpm on my GLHS with a 2.2/SC 6152 turbo-3.22 ratio A413. I could build up WAY MORE BOOST than what the tires could hold on the launch (seen as high as 22psi)! I had three stages of boost to help with traction control. Just saying!

boostaholic

I have never ran anything but a stock turbo van converter, the same one in like 6 vehicles. The best 1/8 time was 7.06@98, from what I have seen on the higher stall aftermarket converters is a lot of slip % on the big end if you run 1/4 mile. I think gearing is the most important thing, and trans fluid.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    I have never ran anything but a stock turbo van converter, the same one in like 6 vehicles. The best 1/8 time was 7.06@98, from what I have seen on the higher stall aftermarket converters is a lot of slip % on the big end if you run 1/4 mile. I think gearing is the most important thing, and trans fluid.
    The aftermarket converter I ran got real tight and was very efficient in the upper R's! I loved it!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    I ran an out of boost stall of 3500 rpm on my GLHS with a 2.2/SC 6152 turbo-3.22 ratio A413. I could build up WAY MORE BOOST than what the tires could hold on the launch (seen as high as 22psi)! I had three stages of boost to help with traction control. Just saying!
    With the 341 I was only able to build 12-14psi on the 2step, and it served the best launches at that. The car was a dog down low. (7.5s at 100mph and 11.9s at 130). It would t spool great on the line without really popping. So I'm hoping the smaller turbo (63 housing) combined with the auto will shoot out of the hole well. I don't want to have issues with not being able to build boost easily on the line which is why I'm asking about converters. The racing I do is instant green. No time to stand and build, I need to be ready.

turbo addict

With the 341 I was only able to build 12-14psi on the 2step, and it served the best launches at that. The car was a dog down low. (7.5s at 100mph and 11.9s at 130). It would t spool great on the line without really popping. So I'm hoping the smaller turbo (63 housing) combined with the auto will shoot out of the hole well. I don't want to have issues with not being able to build boost easily on the line which is why I'm asking about converters. The racing I do is instant green. No time to stand and build, I need to be ready.
    With your ET's vs. MPH, I agree, you need a more responsive turbo IMO.

boostaholic

I never tried to build boost on the line, the car did not like that, I just grabbed the 50 shot and it was instant

turbo addict

EDITED!!! No time to stand and build, I need to be ready.
    That really takes out the personal experiences of probably 95% or more of the forum members. I was going to suggest the stock turbo converter, which can get you well over 3000 rpms given enough time, and likely above what your tires can handle. It's very difficult to answer.

turbo addict

I have 7 seconds from the time the prestage bulb is lit to be staged. There is a little room but not much

boostaholic

I have raced in several 1/8 mile and no preps with the Shadow, with similar staging rules. do yourelf a favor and dont run slicks, look into M&H 235-60-15 bais ply, they always seem to hook better.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    I have raced in several 1/8 mile and no preps with the Shadow, with similar staging rules. do yourelf a favor and dont run slicks, look into M&H 235-60-15 bais ply, they always seem to hook better.
    I went from 23s to 24.5s last year and it made a world of difference. I always hook better at no prep than I do a regular day at the track! My class goes after big tire so the starting line was always amazing

turbo addict

For the record I didn't want/need to build boost for the launch. Even though I could. Instead I would just bring the R's up high enough to lean against the converter a little and then bump in!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    For the record I didn't want/need to build boost for the launch. Even though I could. Instead I would just bring the R's up high enough to lean against the converter a little and then bump in!
    And maybe this will be the case, I've never raced one of these cars as an auto. And the big he341 wears slow to get going so I needed it to be spooled up for it to 60 well. Either way, contraption2.2 came through for me so I will try his 3k converter first and see where adjustments need made after the first race.

turbo addict

And maybe this will be the case, I've never raced one of these cars as an auto. And the big he341 wears slow to get going so I needed it to be spooled up for it to 60 well. Either way, contraption2.2 came through for me so I will try his 3k converter first and see where adjustments need made after the first race.
    That was nice of contraption2.2! Should be able to get some good data!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast