Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeep SBEC Flashing/Questions

Garrett booster

Jeep SBEC Flashing/Questions

I figured I'd start my own thread and not clutter up the one with Akelly and Wowzer doing Cal discovery..

So I got my willem burner and 2 27SF512 chips... I took the bin I read off the original and tried flashing it to the 27SF512. I put it int he ECU and the fuel pump primes but when I try to crank the engine, it just cranks and never starts.

I connected my DRB-II to the truck, and I can communicate with the SBEC-II, it comes back with the model number and reads sensors, but indicates an internal PCM fault.

If i pop in the original 27c256 chip and, it fires right up and there are no issues... I did burn the 27SF512 at the 8000 offset..

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or what may be wrong?

Garrett booster

Re: Jeep SBEC Flashing/Questions

Okay.. so this is kind of wild.

I took the half finished 781 cal from Wowzer, burned it put it in. The DRB-II confirmed its for a 1994 regular cherokee (Mine is a grand cherokee) and it is for manual trans. Also of interesting to note, which I have never seen is it says "Gulf states emissions - Standard"

Anyway, took it out for a spin, and everything works! A/C cycles if I hit the button, trans shifts thru gears and the o/d off button works.... Only thign I noticed that was different is the idle is lower so the truck didnt like it as much.

Wowzer, did you modify any of the tabeles in your latest cal or did you just ID them?

Now I wonder why the BIN I took off my 310 ECU throws a fault when i burn it back? hmmm..

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

just ID'd them. i'ld be interested in what all data you can provide me about the cal from your drb2, e.g. cal id, transmission info, etc. also, are you set up to scan with mpscan hardware wise? what i could do is load the ram locations into a custom version for you to test so we can try to ID more of the ram locations and the values they report.

- - - Updated - - -

just ID'd them. i'ld be interested in what all data you can provide me about the cal from your drb2, e.g. cal id, transmission info, etc. also, are you set up to scan with mpscan hardware wise? what i could do is load the ram locations into a custom version for you to test so we can try to ID more of the ram locations and the values they report. also, make sure you always download the latest version i've posted in the link.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Garrett booster

That would be really fun to do! I'd be more than willing to grab custom versions from you for testing. So right now I dont have a MPscan setup. I need to educate myself on what all is needed to get that going and order the necessary hardware. Do I need alot of hardware to get Mpscan going? Old computers with rs232 arent a problem for me. My other hobby is "retro computing" so i have plenty of old hardware with the proper ports. I'm using an old laptop with my willem burner.

I do have a DRB II and it provides some info, it'll live read all the sensors and I think you can scan memory locations with it. I need to double check. There's definitely a menu in there that displays hexadecimal stuff. pages and pages of it.

I'm probably going to be somewhat quiet for the next week as I'm traveling for work. I'll be back friday though, and I'll be available after that.

As far as Cal ID, it has a ID page that says the model year, the emissions type and whether or not its for standard or auto.

I'm still really curious why the 381 bin i read throws a ECU fault when I load it in. Make no sense..

ftdi usb cable and then follow the instructions elsewhere on this site to set up the cable. easiest thing was to just buy a boostbutton cable but that is not an option currently so you'll just have to wire one up yourself. it's simple, really!!

Mitsu booster

I'm still really curious why the 381 bin i read throws a ECU fault when I load it in. Make no sense..
    Maybe the cal queries the Vendor/Device id or type (of eprom) in some init routines after reset? Try burning the cal on another 27c256 and check again ...
    Last edited by olk93; 03-06-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by olk93 View Post
    Maybe the cal queries the Vendor/Device id (of eprom) in some init routines after reset? Try burning the cal on another 27c256 and check again ...
    Need to get another one to try. I have a feeling the read of the chip I did might have had some issue.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    ftdi usb cable and then follow the instructions elsewhere on this site to set up the cable. easiest thing was to just buy a boostbutton cable but that is not an option currently so you'll just have to wire one up yourself. it's simple, really!!

Do do I need a 3v or 5v ftdi cable? Trying to fogure out which one to order

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sev80 View Post
    Do do I need a 3v or 5v ftdi cable? Trying to fogure out which one to order
    You need the 5v cable
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

Be careful there are 2 sorts of FTDI USB <--> SERIAL adapters/cables available. See lower left corner in photo. The adapter with the blue led has a serial rs-232 connector and the other adapter next to it has header pins. Choose the one with 5volt headers.

Last edited by olk93; 03-09-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Garrett booster

So I got the cable and configured it with the FTDI utility and got the drivers loaded up..

I cant find any diagrams on how to connect the FTDI cable to the SCI connector. I assume it's just the Rx and Tx and Ground. There is two ground lines on the SCI connector.. Ground/Ground Signal. Which do I connect to?
    Last edited by sev80; 03-12-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Mitsu booster

You mean the L-Shaped connector in the engine bay next to the battery?

Look here : http://www.boostbutton.com/turbonator_wiki/doku.php?id=cable_setup

Garrett booster

boom! There it is! Thank you!

Mitsu booster

*** BIG FAT WARNING ***

The RX Input of the ftdi seems to be unprotected,
    so never aply more than 5V ...
    I accidently did and ended up with a transmit-only device

*** End Warning ***

Good thing is the usb ftdi sticks are damn cheap.
    Got 3 for 5 bux (shipping inclusive) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by olk93 View Post
    *** BIG FAT WARNING ***

The RX Input of the ftdi seems to be unprotected,
    so never aply more than 5V ...
    I accidently did and ended up with a transmit-only device

*** End Warning ***

Good thing is the usb ftdi sticks are damn cheap.
    Got 3 for 5 bux (shipping inclusive) LOL
    Yes, that's why my SCI cable ends have (err, had, they're not mine anymore) a protection diode and resistor...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

so i got the cable communicating with MPSCan, I can do the actuator tests, and read out values from different sensors, but i cant get any of the guages to work. Need to figure out why the gauges arent working.. hmm

fyi, the actuator test code was only set up to work with the SMEC. i'm surprised it works with the SBEC but great!

i do not think the ram locations are set up for the jeep yet. you would need to look at the compiled .lst file, get the ram locations (in decimal) and then enter them in the xref file in mpscan under either the custom column or you could use key over one of the other columns (e.g. the sbec2 column). i would use the custom columns because i'm looking at a way to have multiple custom columns set up by the user vs me, because every time you update that xref file by downloading a new one you will lose your settings!!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    fyi, the actuator test code was only set up to work with the SMEC. i'm surprised it works with the SBEC but great!

i do not think the ram locations are set up for the jeep yet. you would need to look at the compiled .lst file, get the ram locations (in decimal) and then enter them in the xref file in mpscan under either the custom column or you could use key over one of the other columns (e.g. the sbec2 column). i would use the custom columns because i'm looking at a way to have multiple custom columns set up by the user vs me, because every time you update that xref file by downloading a new one you will lose your settings!!

Very interesting on actuator tests. Yeah, all of them work. I can cycle the fuel pump, the a/c relay, tell the tach to move, etc. That's actually how I was able to confirm the cable is working...

The other interesting thing is when I go into sensor diagnostics, I am able to pull back the sensor data as well. I can confirm I was able to pull back coolant temp, coolant temp volts, TPS volts, battery voltes, adaptive memory, map value, map volts, and o2 volts. O2 volts alt brings back 5v..

Does that mean we still need to define memory locations for the guages? sounds like MPSCAN is about to pick them up?

Forgive me with my n00b questions...

mpscan needs to have the ram memory locations loaded into one of the custom ecu types. i'll look at the code again and see what is actually happening with the sensor tests. you may be getting data back but it might not be looking at the correct locations for every sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by sev80 View Post
    Very interesting on actuator tests. Yeah, all of them work. I can cycle the fuel pump, the a/c relay, tell the tach to move, etc. That's actually how I was able to confirm the cable is working...

The other interesting thing is when I go into sensor diagnostics, I am able to pull back the sensor data as well. I can confirm I was able to pull back coolant temp, coolant temp volts, TPS volts, battery voltes, adaptive memory, map value, map volts, and o2 volts. O2 volts alt brings back 5v..

Does that mean we still need to define memory locations for the guages? sounds like MPSCAN is about to pick them up?

Forgive me with my n00b questions...
    The sensor tests are independent of the RAM locations. They are mapped into the DRB code. Which, incidentally, is how I usually find the basic sensor RAM locations. You find that address table in the code, and you will know all of the major RAM locations.

The DRB code should be pretty easy to find. It will be nearly identical to the turbo stuff.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast