Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeep SBEC Flashing/Questions

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Jeep SBEC Flashing/Questions

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    The sensor tests are independent of the RAM locations. They are mapped into the DRB code. Which, incidentally, is how I usually find the basic sensor RAM locations. You find that address table in the code, and you will know all of the major RAM locations.

The DRB code should be pretty easy to find. It will be nearly identical to the turbo stuff.
    all the drb stuff is found. my only concern was that the tests for the various ram locations are not in the same order. so test offset 2 on the smec is not the same as test offset 2 on the jeep cal.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    all the drb stuff is found. my only concern was that the tests for the various ram locations are not in the same order. so test offset 2 on the smec is not the same as test offset 2 on the jeep cal.
    No, the 'sensor test' RAM locations should all be the same, regardless of the DRB generation. When they add new sensors, they add them to the end of the list. So, the Jeep may have some sensors in that test function that the earlier SMEC DRB function doesn't have, but everything in the SMEC will be carried over to the Jeep; and in the same order.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Gents, is it possible to read the cals from the two SBEC-IIs I have that are not socketed with a FTDI cable?

Mitsu booster

3LV6 cals? and if yes which partnumber(s) they have?

Quote Originally Posted by sev80 View Post
    Gents, is it possible to read the cals from the two SBEC-IIs I have that are not socketed with a FTDI cable?
    Yes, if it's got the protection for the Rx line. To boot the SBEC or SBECII, you need to apply 12v to the Rx line. Once booted, you remove the 12v to communicate over the Rx. If you don't protect the FTDI from the 12v boot voltage, you'll fry the FTDI chip/cable.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Yes, if it's got the protection for the Rx line. To boot the SBEC or SBECII, you need to apply 12v to the Rx line. Once booted, you remove the 12v to communicate over the Rx. If you don't protect the FTDI from the 12v boot voltage, you'll fry the FTDI chip/cable.

good to know! What software needs to be used to communicate with the ecu to pull down the cal?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by olk93 View Post
    3LV6 cals? and if yes which partnumber(s) they have?

these would be two jeep SBEC-IIs

good to know! What software needs to be used to communicate with the ecu to pull down the cal?
    MP Tune can do it...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

just ID'd them. i'ld be interested in what all data you can provide me about the cal from your drb2, e.g. cal id, transmission info, etc. also, are you set up to scan with mpscan hardware wise? what i could do is load the ram locations into a custom version for you to test so we can try to ID more of the ram locations and the values they report.

- - - Updated - - -

just ID'd them. i'ld be interested in what all data you can provide me about the cal from your drb2, e.g. cal id, transmission info, etc. also, are you set up to scan with mpscan hardware wise? what i could do is load the ram locations into a custom version for you to test so we can try to ID more of the ram locations and the values they report. also, make sure you always download the latest version i've posted in the link.
    Wowzer, still interested in doing this?

yep, just have way too many irons in the fire at this point. got about 5 major things i am working on and that will be one of them.

Garrett booster

No worries at all! Just let me know when ready. No rush

Garrett booster

yep, just have way too many irons in the fire at this point. got about 5 major things i am working on and that will be one of them.
    Hey Wowzer, just checking in to see how things are going? been super busy this month myself with work. Do you have any cycles to work on the custom cal/ram locations?

Garrett booster

I figured I'd start my own thread and not clutter up the one with Akelly and Wowzer doing Cal discovery..

So I got my willem burner and 2 27SF512 chips... I took the bin I read off the original and tried flashing it to the 27SF512. I put it int he ECU and the fuel pump primes but when I try to crank the engine, it just cranks and never starts.

I connected my DRB-II to the truck, and I can communicate with the SBEC-II, it comes back with the model number and reads sensors, but indicates an internal PCM fault.

If i pop in the original 27c256 chip and, it fires right up and there are no issues... I did burn the 27SF512 at the 8000 offset..

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or what may be wrong?

Figured out what was wrong with why this was happening. It was a bad read of my original 56028310 chip thanks to the crappy willem burner I had. I replaced with a much better burner, read the cal again, burned it to a blank chip and viola, fires right up.

If anyone wants a copy of the working 56028310 cal that I just read, let me know.

i'll take it.

Garrett booster

i'll take it.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0m5ja79bz...0jeep.BIN?dl=0

Garrett booster

ShelGame,

Quick question, how long do you apply the +12v for boot? I assume I can just apply it straight from the battery?

Garrett booster

fyi, the actuator test code was only set up to work with the SMEC. i'm surprised it works with the SBEC but great!

i do not think the ram locations are set up for the jeep yet. you would need to look at the compiled .lst file, get the ram locations (in decimal) and then enter them in the xref file in mpscan under either the custom column or you could use key over one of the other columns (e.g. the sbec2 column). i would use the custom columns because i'm looking at a way to have multiple custom columns set up by the user vs me, because every time you update that xref file by downloading a new one you will lose your settings!!

wowzer,

One thing Im trying to understand (and Im still a n00b for sure), are DRB access to sensor data different than how the guages menu would use? (I am assuming ram locations) I ask because in MPScan, I can pull back all the live sensor data under "sensor" diagnostics, the menu is titled "DRB Diagnositics" I am assuming that sensor data is coming back with a different method than working guages do? Forgive my ignorance here...

Could we not use the same, and default RAM Locations used in the sensor diagnostics menu to build working gauges for the jeep? it seems like we already have what we need in MPscan and don't need to go hunting for ram locations... unless Im missing something. I'm able to read back every sensor that's available in the DRB through this menu in MPscan.

Id really love to be able to get data logging working with mpscan for jeeps, I've been away from this stuff for a while due to work and family. Still would love to get this all figured out.
    Last edited by sev80; 05-31-2017 at 10:37 PM.

alot of the data is there for you to start scanning. just need to put some work in up front to do it.

1) make sure you have the latest version of mpscan2 (2.0.4.0 or greater)
    2) download all the layout csv files using menu settings/layout files/update
    3) go into the menu settings/layout files/xref settings
    4) make sure you have the latest version of mptune
    5) download the latest jeep 781 cal from here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../jeep1_781.zip
    6) compile the cal and exit mptune
    7) open up the .lst file that is created from 6) in an editor and go to the ram locations (0x00 - 0xff)
    8) enter the address values (IN DECIMAL, NOT HEX) into the appropriate rows in the xref settings file using one of the 2 custom columns
    9) save it and create a layout file and give it a shot. make sure you select the correct custom ecu type in the display layout form BEFORE you start adding gauges by clicking the dropdown box and selecting custom1 or custom2 (as appropriate) and then click the new button to start adding gauges.
    10) the only other thing i can think of is - when you create the "profile" where you link the gauge layout with the ecu type make sure you select sbecii t1. that should use the correct protocols unless the jeep stuff is different then the 4 cyl stuff.

Garrett booster

Yes, that's why my SCI cable ends have (err, had, they're not mine anymore) a protection diode and resistor...
    Couple questions I'm trying to figure out:

Nvm. Figured out where the protection diode goes.
    Last edited by sev80; 11-27-2017 at 05:06 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12