Thread: '98 Buick Regal GS radiator

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

'98 Buick Regal GS radiator

I'm installing a new radiator in my Regal GS. The original radiator had plastic end tanks and the filler neck snapped off, so I got an all aluminum radiator from ZZP.

The car had previously been running Dex Cool but I want to switch it over to regular green antifreeze. Do I absolutely need to flush the block and heater core out before filling up with the green stuff? Should I not even bother and continue with Dex Cool?

Hybrid booster

Re: '98 Buick Regal GS radiator

J, I'd definitely get as much of the Dex out as possible if you want to switch to regular glycol (the traditional "green stuff.) Dex Cool can clump up and have a bad reaction when put with the regular green stuff. But there is a form of anti freeze that mixes with just about anything, so I'd use that if you don't want to stay with Dex. You should be able to find it at any place like Auto Zoned.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

id flush like a madman with a garden hose hooked to the heater lines.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Thanks guys.

The original radiator and cap were a little gunky inside, which is why I want to change over, especially with the new ZZP radiator going in. I was planning on flushing like crazy via the heater hoses like Brian said, but do you think it would work very well to flush the block/head with a garden hose via the radiator hoses going both ways/hoses?

I did find the coolant that WW suggested (Prestone, compatible with all colors/types) and I think I might use that initially and flush again later on before switching to the regular green stuff. This is the only car that I have that uses Dex Cool so I'd rather have all my cars use the same stuff as well.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

When ever I flush a cooling system with tap water, I drain the tap water, refill with distilled water and drain twice, and then fill with distilled water/anitfreze mix. Maybe a bit over the the top but I've seen what tap water does to a coffee maker. Besides distilled water is pretty cheap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Hybrid booster

Makes good sense to run common anti freeze in your fleet. And I've heard nothing but bad stuff about Dex. I had a 94 Trans Am that used it but was already converted to Glycol when I got it.

turbo addict

Flush it flush it flush some more before going green. I've flushed and then put in the universal coolant too in a few cars. Hit or miss whether the color is green or gold.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I always buy pre-mix anymore. The water in my town is so hard I have to buy a new coffee maker roughly every 10 months.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I always buy pre-mix anymore. The water in my town is so hard I have to buy a new coffee maker roughly every 10 months.
    i go to the grocery store or walmart and buy distilled water. like $1 a gallon.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Yeah, I should do that, but I'm lazy.

I got the engine and heater core flushed out really well today with a garden hose. I removed the heater hoses and ran the garden hose in both directions for a few minutes until it was absolutely clear. I then removed the thermostat and ran the garden hose in there and then through the lower radiator hose until that all went totally clear. I got quite a bit more of the Dex Cool out that way and it should be pretty much all flushed out.

I went to Walmart and stocked up on 8 gallons of distilled water. I plan to install a new thermostat and fill it with the distilled water until it gets up to operating temp and then drain it again and refill with conventional green coolant. Sound good?

I'm bored today so here are some pictures, including my helpers Roscoe and Gromit. Gromit is my new springer spaniel puppy I got a couple weeks ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	60335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	60334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	60333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	60336

turbo addict

Cute pups!
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford