Thread: Questions: Oil Pickup and Restrictor

Hybrid booster

Questions: Oil Pickup and Restrictor

I was going through the Charger's new engine. It came out of an 89 Masi TC. It is a 2.2 T2 engine. Low mileage, non-common block with 87 casting date on block. It for sure has a forged crank and Mahle Pistons. Two things I noticed:

1) There is no oil restrictor in the block, WTF! Why wouldn't there be? I intend to take the restrictor out of another block I have. Any tips on getting it out?

2) The pickup tube for the oil pump is different than both my 86 engines. This one has no support bracket on it, and the screen end is smaller diameter. Is this normal? I just put the oil pan on, but would rather take it off while still on the engine stand if need be.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: Questions: Oil Pickup and Restrictor

Not all engines came with an oil restrictor in the head. People on the assembly line forgot things from time to time. To get one out, you can turn a sheet metal screw into the small hole at the bottom of the restrictor and pull on the screw with a pliers or Vice Grip. The restrictor will come out with the screw.
    As for the oil pick up, the block in the Masi should have been an 88 or 89 and should have the oil pan with the small round sump. Is the end of your oil pickup about 3 inches in diameter? The earlier engines had the non sump pan with the larger pickup (about 4 inches ID)
    The pickup with the smaller end does not have the support that bolts to the main cap screw.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the quick answer! So yes, it is about 3 inches round on the end, and the oil pan does have the sump compared to my 86 pan which is flat on the bottom. That all checks out. As far as the oil restrictor, if some cars didn't get it, is it totally necessary/recommended?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I made one out of a 40 cal shell casing for a block I had that didn't come with one.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Oil pressure would suffer if you didn't run a restrictor. Personally I've never met a Masi motor that didn't have one but like Andy said, anything is possible With an 87 casting date that's one early Masi motor you have there Forged crank right?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Oil pressure would suffer if you didn't run a restrictor. Personally I've never met a Masi motor that didn't have one but like Andy said, anything is possible With an 87 casting date that's one early Masi motor you have there Forged crank right?
    Yeah, for sure has a forged crank and Mahle pistons. Block has a date of 12/21/87. It has the 5 bolt square tooth crank pulley which is 88 model year only? Block has a VIN# stamped on the side and first two characters are ZA which I believe is Italy.