Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sdac 27?

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Re: Sdac 27?

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post

It is not meant to be a secret, it is just that our members get the word first, as a courtesy to them.
    It is dumb. I mean even the real world dynamics don't make sense. If they are so old they don't get email how would they even know it came out on the internet first? And why would they care? Funny as the world has changed so much we are focused on how we did ---- back in the day. before the internet was thing. Maybe we should ditch the custom tunes and go back to g-valves and cold start injectors...

The thing is, unless you experience our event for yourself, you have no idea what you are missing.
    Barry are you coming out of retirement? I assume you didn't miss the last Memphis SDAC because it was to far away? I am sure it was the heat?

I'd say the SDAC needs to figure out what it is. What it was and what it needs to be going forward. The community is shrinking. These are car aren't new with value. They are rotted out, broke down and not worth much. How do you turn that around?

If the SDAC's life line is 60 year olds that require a snail mailed newletters I'd say it won't be around much longer. What is that the SDAC does? Preinternet the tech hotline was a good thing for members, as well as the newletter. Fast forward to a world of internet and smartphones, well you get all of that and more for free. So all that is left is for the SDAC to put on a car show? Not sure we need an exclusive club for that. Just put on a car show, it is open to everyone anyways.

I like and support the SDAC but I am not sure what my yearly dues really fund. If it just for the car show that could be rolled in to the cost of the show. If anything I'd like to see the SDAC figure out how to get people back in to the community. New folks that want to fix up and restore these old cars. And maybe some new shirt designs that instead of these 25 year old graphics.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    It is dumb. I mean even the real world dynamics don't make sense. If they are so old they don't get email how would they even know it came out on the internet first? And why would they care? Funny as the world has changed so much we are focused on how we did ---- back in the day. before the internet was thing. Maybe we should ditch the custom tunes and go back to g-valves and cold start injectors...

Barry are you coming out of retirement? I assume you didn't miss the last Memphis SDAC because it was to far away? I am sure it was the heat?

I'd say the SDAC needs to figure out what it is. What it was and what it needs to be going forward. The community is shrinking. These are car aren't new with value. They are rotted out, broke down and not worth much. How do you turn that around?

If the SDAC's life line is 60 year olds that require a snail mailed newletters I'd say it won't be around much longer. What is that the SDAC does? Preinternet the tech hotline was a good thing for members, as well as the newletter. Fast forward to a world of internet and smartphones, well you get all of that and more for free. So all that is left is for the SDAC to put on a car show? Not sure we need an exclusive club for that. Just put on a car show, it is open to everyone anyways.

I like and support the SDAC but I am not sure what my yearly dues really fund. If it just for the car show that could be rolled in to the cost of the show. If anything I'd like to see the SDAC figure out how to get people back in to the community. New folks that want to fix up and restore these old cars. And maybe some new shirt designs that instead of these 25 year old graphics.

Well, obviously, you've never been to an SDAC convention. Because most of what you just spewed is BS. The vast majority of cars that are at the convention are very nice examples of 80's Mopars. While there are a few "works in progress", everybody appreciates what folks bring.

It's not just a car show, there is always a drag day, usually some kind of autoX/parking lot event, and good times & great food to enjoy. A lot of work goes into these events.

MB has done a great job the last couple of year with NEW artwork for the T-shirts.

I for one, appreciate the hands-on flavor these conventions have. Folks helping each other out, real car guys wrenching, bench racing, having a good time. It's not all pretentious like a West Coast cars & coffee, where the doctors & lawyers show up in their Lambo's, Ferrari's, and classic cars that they paid gigabucks for some restoration shop to work on. That they have never so much as checked oil on because they don't want to get ther hands dirty...

SDAC is a car guys(and girls) club. It's for real folks who love their cars, and enjoy working on them. If that's not what you want, then it's not for you...

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Well, obviously, you've never been to an SDAC convention. Because most of what you just spewed is BS. The vast majority of cars that are at the convention are very nice examples of 80's Mopars. While there are a few "works in progress", everybody appreciates what folks bring.

It's not just a car show, there is always a drag day, usually some kind of autoX/parking lot event, and good times & great food to enjoy. A lot of work goes into these events.

MB has done a great job the last couple of year with NEW artwork for the T-shirts.

I for one, appreciate the hands-on flavor these conventions have. Folks helping each other out, real car guys wrenching, bench racing, having a good time. It's not all pretentious like a West Coast cars & coffee, where the doctors & lawyers show up in their Lambo's, Ferrari's, and classic cars that they paid gigabucks for some restoration shop to work on. That they have never so much as checked oil on because they don't want to get ther hands dirty...

SDAC is a car guys(and girls) club. It's for real folks who love their cars, and enjoy working on them. If that's not what you want, then it's not for you...

Sorry you wasted your time typing all of this. Again. You don't need a car club to put on the show.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Well, obviously, you've never been to an SDAC convention. Because most of what you just spewed is BS.
    Yep, never been to an SDAC... lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17016916_10154460112086819_9094107356356228544_o.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	60243
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Hybrid booster

Have to tell Mr. Slowe to make sure the boost limiter stops at 'bout 10 lbs, before I get it back, then maybe. It's 14 hours foot in the fan an balls to the wall. I think the longest I ran non stop when I was out chasin' was in the summer of '79 when I ran from Woodland Hills,SoCal. to Walcott, Ia. 'bout 15 miles from the Mississippi. Body won't let me do that anymore My Friend and my brain won't either, It's ah Beach gettin' old. We'll see, Jer

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Kevin, I'm happy to see your cynicism is still intact. The pattern of our past actions have served us well, no need to change them just for sake of change. When looking at 26 years of our events there isn't any true indication of a lack of interest among our members. We continue to draw nearly a third of our membership to our events. This is a figure that has held steady over time.

If anything it will be the rising costs of putting on the events that will change how we do things in the future. For example, to rent a dragstrip today costs roughly 5 times what it did back in 2000. And even though we have raised the fee for our members to drag race to cover those costs, the number of drag racers we get at our events is roughly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ;
    I certainly took the heat into my decision, as I remembered how hot it was there for SDAC-12. But mainly it was that I just didn't feel like going. For so many years I had to go whether I felt like it or not, and now I have the luxury of deciding whether I want to go or not.

If the SDAC's life line is 60 year olds that require a snail mailed newletters I'd say it won't be around much longer. What is that the SDAC does? Preinternet the tech hotline was a good thing for members, as well as the newletter. Fast forward to a world of internet and smartphones, well you get all of that and more for free.
    I might be willing to concede that point. After all I am only a little over a year away from being 70, and I do still look forward to getting a newsletter in the mail. But something I've said for many years now, is that our main competition for information on our cars comes from the internet. We are not the only game in town anymore, and that is very true. It is more difficult to get out newsletters with original content and that has been true for many years. Whether this adds up to be the downfall of the club remains to be seen, and how long that may take can be debated.

So all that is left is for the SDAC to put on a car show? Not sure we need an exclusive club for that. Just put on a car show, it is open to everyone anyways.
    Well that is not entirely true (the last part). Joe Schmoe driving a Mustang, Camaro, or Honda cannot drive up to our show and be admitted (and he can't drag race with us either, although members are allowed to enter the show or race anything they own).

I like and support the SDAC but I am not sure what my yearly dues really fund. If it just for the car show that could be rolled in to the cost of the show. If anything I'd like to see the SDAC figure out how to get people back in to the community. New folks that want to fix up and restore these old cars.
    Getting new folks into the community is a goal the club leadership shares, but it is not an easy thing to do though.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yep, never been to an SDAC... lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17016916_10154460112086819_9094107356356228544_o.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	60243
    Well,

If you've been to that many, and still have that attitude, I truely feel sorry for you.

I met a lot of good folks there last year. Made some new friends, and look forward to seeing them again this year. I guess in the end, that what really counts in my book. Guess it just depends on what you value in life...

Sure, seeing the cars is awesome, but the memories I created with my son, and that he still talks about to me weekly, are what are really important. When I told him this years convention location had been announced, he got all giddy and asked me when we start packing!!! That is what is really worth it... On the way home from Memphis last year, he even told me that he wants a truck like mine for his first vehicle. Wants to buy one that we can fix up together. I'm not a real emotional guy, but that just about brought tears to my eyes...

$30 a year.... yeah, it's worth it to me...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Unless he is buying another one!?
    I sure hope not. 6 cars on my property and only 2 are in a garage. I need another car just as bad as a hole in my head.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Kevin, I'm happy to see your cynicism is still intact.
    I am happy to see retirement hasn't stopped you from being a jack ---.

If you've been to that many, and still have that attitude, I truely feel sorry for you.
    You can send money you want. That may make you feel better.

I think you have missed the point. I like the SDAC events. They are great events, even if they are so far away I have to fly in, that is why I keep going to them. I also know how much work it is to put on the show. I don't see why I would pay 30 dollars a year if it only goes to the show (or to fund the postage on newsletters for old people like Barry who have the internet but don't want to read a PDF for some odd reason). That cost could easily be rolled in to the show admission fee.

I'd rather fund growing the member base as the core of it is only going to get smaller unless we act now. There are great cars at the show but think about what I am saying. 15 years ago most of these cars were in pretty good shape. Now the normal cars need to be restored, they are 30 years old. Who is getting in to these cars to do that work other than our current base? What do you think happens to old cars that no one cares about? Scrap metal. The base can't save them all.

I tried to keep up with my SDAC membership. Unless JT mails my renewal on newsletter. My wife has orders to toss them out as soon as they come in, hate to say that but it is true.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Well I was in the middle of a fairly long reply and I hit the wrong key, and poof it was gone.

NOW, I am ticked off at this stupid editor!

I will respond to this though:

I am happy to see retirement hasn't stopped you from being a jack ---.
    That made me laugh! Thanks Kev.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

I sort of agree with DodgeZ that the life is draining out of the TM community. Just look at this site. The traffic, or at least the posting has slowed down to a crawl from what it once was. Even if SDAC is still staying fairly consistent, it isn't growing, the same with this community in general. I bought my first SC in 1983. I'm 54 years old. At some point a lot of us old guys are going to be gone and where are the youth to replace us? Sure there is a few, but for the most part, no one that is under 30 has even seen our cars unless their mom or dad has one.

So for me, I think at some point we will need to partner with another club, like Neons or Mopars in general and be part of a bigger meet. In part to drive costs down and in part to let more people see our cars and maybe develop a love for them that we do and get more supporters that way. I racing buddies are pretty much all Neon guys.....they grew up with the Neon so that's what they know.

But it is cool talking shop with them and some of the old cars come up. The other day a guy asked me if I knew someone in Ohio that has a blue car like mine and run mid 10's. I said that sounds like Rob Pachner and showed him a pic from my phone. It was Rob's car and he loved it. Friday I saw my first SC going down the road in probably 5 years. You just don't see the old cars and the only way to get more people involved is to get more people to see them... just imo...sorry for the novel.....carry on....

Well I was in the middle of a fairly long reply and I hit the wrong key, and poof it was gone.

NOW, I am ticked off at this stupid editor!

I will respond to this though:

That made me laugh! Thanks Kev.

Barry
    I thought it was pretty funny. HA.

I did miss you in Memphis, was a bit disappointed you weren't there.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

I did miss you in Memphis, was a bit disappointed you weren't there.
    Thanks.

I just looked through my newsletter from the event. I did feel a little sad that it was all I had to reference the event, no memories of it of course. I felt doubly bad when I read some of the names of folks that were there and I missed seeing them (just about everybody).

Gee, glad I didn't have to read that online in a pdf.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

aaaah, kevin being an ---. barry being a smartass.

makes me want to go to SDAC! (for real... no joke for the newbs that dont know the history)

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Gee, glad I didn't have to read that online in a pdf.
    I know the HD full color pictures would just ruin it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    aaaah, kevin being an ---. barry being a smartass.

makes me want to go to SDAC! (for real... no joke for the newbs that dont know the history)

Brian
    Brian also missing from 26........
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Brian also missing from 26........
    yup. just had a new baby a few months before. wont be there this year either. more baby related shenanigans.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    yup. just had a new baby a few months before. wont be there this year either. more baby related shenanigans.

Brian
    I had a new baby and a pregnant wife. I still made it...
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict

Not going to give away any info on SDAC27 except that I am VERY happy it will not be in Memphis! Matchbox is usually okay in the heat, me...not so much. I do remember when we went to Canada it was way hotter than normal. I did crappy poor all last year and Memphis was my last drag race. I found that without a heater core and the extra coolant to it I could not maintain a steady water temp which destroyed the consistency of the box. If I knew I would have been that crappy I would have taken my Prius and gotten 2 1/2 times the mpg...and AC...and it even has more mph than the Matchbox, but a second slower!
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Chris and I were at the last Detroit one. We took a wrong turn (stupid gps) and ended up in a "ruff" part of the city.
    So ruff we were a little more than "oh crap".... are we going to live through this?

Even this ^^^. will give us a memory we will NEVER forget!!
    What about that pizza place in a less than desirable part of town we went to at 18 upon Butch's suggestion?

There are so many memories in general but specially at Detroit. The hotel in the past (hopefully we are there again) was awesome, and the venues were awesome. It's exciting to go back there.

turbo addict

That was great pizza....want to go there again.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast