Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sdac 27?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: Sdac 27?

I think that the fact there has been an annual SDAC convention for the past 27 years is very impressive. Especially considering how small our community really is.
    What makes the SDAC convention stand out is that it includes multiple events and it's not just one big, long car show where a bunch of dopes set up camp behind their cars and talk about how much more special their car is than yours.
    More so, I appreciate the amount of time the very few people who run and have run SDAC put forth to make this event happen every year. Thank You!
    Last edited by ajakeski; 03-01-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Garrett booster

Re: "To all you non-paying whiners out there who think it'sunfair you get left in the dark for a week or two, let me explain something toyou. “

I paid a premium to attend SDAC26 because I wasn’t a SDACmember, so it wasn’t like I was expecting something for free. As a non-member, if I were receiving the sameadmissions price as a member, your argument would be valid, and I couldunderstand the information black-out.

But you have answered both the question I asked and severalI did not. Based on this discussion, Ipaid my $30 membership dues for a SDAC membership last night, but I personallydon’t pine for exclusivity in my life.Being part of a club where I can stand around and compare di…..ah,sorry, turbo sizes with other members is not where I get joy out of ahobby.Having someone random wave medown at a gas station and say “I remember seeing one of these race once” andget to chat with them for a while is all the gratification I need from a hobbylike this.

Dave

(And I still have no idea why the final posts keep randomlyeliminating spaces from between my words, then not letting me edit the postafter submission – probably because I’m still using an older Explorer browser….)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

If find it helps if you reply above their quotes.....don't know why, but that works for me...

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by djm3452004 View Post
    Re: "To all you non-paying whiners out there who think it'sunfair you get left in the dark for a week or two, let me explain something toyou. “

I paid a premium to attend SDAC26 because I wasn’t a SDACmember, so it wasn’t like I was expecting something for free. As a non-member, if I were receiving the sameadmissions price as a member, your argument would be valid, and I couldunderstand the information black-out.

But you have answered both the question I asked and severalI did not. Based on this discussion, Ipaid my $30 membership dues for a SDAC membership last night, but I personallydon’t pine for exclusivity in my life.Being part of a club where I can stand around and compare di…..ah,sorry, turbo sizes with other members is not where I get joy out of ahobby.Having someone random wave medown at a gas station and say “I remember seeing one of these race once” andget to chat with them for a while is all the gratification I need from a hobbylike this.

Dave

(And I still have no idea why the final posts keep randomlyeliminating spaces from between my words, then not letting me edit the postafter submission – probably because I’m still using an older Explorer browser….)
    Well, I'm glad you decided to join & support the club. Welcome aboard!!!

I think you will find that there really isn't any exclusivity or comparing "whose turbo is bigger". It a group of gearheads just trying to enjoy their cars. In fact, my Scamp has always had a carb on it(soon to change), and I never felt excluded or singled out at an event. They welcome all FWD Mopars, not just the Shelby cars. I've yet to meet a member I didn't get along with, and everybody is willing to pitch in to help those in need. It is a truly great group of people.

I certainly hope you find your membership worth while.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Well, I'm glad you decided to join & support the club. Welcome aboard!!!

I think you will find that there really isn't any exclusivity or comparing "whose turbo is bigger". It a group of gearheads just trying to enjoy their cars. In fact, my Scamp has always had a carb on it(soon to change), and I never felt excluded or singled out at an event. They welcome all FWD Mopars, not just the Shelby cars. I've yet to meet a member I didn't get along with, and everybody is willing to pitch in to help those in need. It is a truly great group of people.

I certainly hope you find your membership worth while.
    it was good meeting you and your son last year. I enjoyed his enthusiasm!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    Looks like it will be a bit to far for me this year.

good luck there guys.
    cant wait too see the pics.
    It may be a haul but it's going to be worth it to be there.

Hybrid booster

its less distance from me. then if you drove in indianpolis to Denver..

I notice a pattern of the same general area every year.. always with in about 200 miles from say Columbus ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

I notice a pattern of the same general area every year.. always with in about 200 miles from say Columbus ohio.
    Yeah, right. What map are you looking at?

I can count off about 6 locations that have been further than 500 miles from Columbus OH, including Memphis TN last year.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Even Chicago is over 350 miles from Columbus

A club has to put in a proposal to have the convention by them that's one reason for a lot of the same areas as it's the same groups putting them in.

Want it closer to you? Do some, OK maybe not some but a lot of, legwork (finding places for the car show, drag strip, host hotel and things like the hospitality night and a lot of other little things I'm forgetting) and make a formal proposal to the head office
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Hybrid booster

Me being nice.
    "Looks like it will be a bit to far for me this year.

good luck there guys.
    cant wait too see the pics."

Normal response

Me being honest

You guys missing the point
    Yeah, right. What map are you looking at?

I can count off about 6 locations that have been further than 500 miles from Columbus OH, including Memphis TN last year.

You guys sorrrrtttaaa getting the point
    Even Chicago is over 350 miles from Columbus

A club has to put in a proposal to have the convention by them that's one reason for a lot of the same areas as it's the same groups putting them in.

cant make it for
    #1 its a 17+ hour drive each way. ( 2 days driving each way. 1,100+ miles each way.)
    #2 its always in the same geographical / general location / area / division of the country/ vicinity / locale.
    #3 would be cool if this was some where "fun to go to" i could convince my wife/kids to go to as a vacation.. vegas.. atlantic city. charleston. DC area. Houston. Orlando/disney.
    #4 spoke with others in my area that wanted to go. was hoping to tag along maybe split the ride..
    they are not going for reasons #1 #2 and #3

just being observant. not being negative or aggressive or angry.. just observing.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

cant make it for
    #1 its a 17+ hour drive each way. ( 2 days driving each way. 1,100+ miles each way.)
    #2 its always in the same geographical / general location / area / division of the country/ vicinity / locale.
    #3 would be cool if this was some where "fun to go to" i could convince my wife/kids to go to as a vacation.. vegas.. atlantic city. charleston. DC area. Houston. Orlando/disney.
    #4 spoke with others in my area that wanted to go. was hoping to tag along maybe split the ride..
    they are not going for reasons #1 #2 and #3

just being observant. not being negative or aggressive or angry.. just observing.

But I take offense at it because the basis of what you are saying isn't true. You have not done your homework is seeing where we have been in 26 years. We've even held an event in Ontario Canada. See this thread to see where we've been: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ational-events

The problem with having our event in a "fun" area like you mention, is that hotel prices are at a premium, and there are few, if any, dragstrips, road courses, or autocross sites in those locations. We go for 3-4 days of CAR EVENTS to fill our schedule. We rent a dragstrip every year.

Rick Diogo from the Miami area has been to a number of our events. He has flown in many times, but I think he has driven to a couple. There was a long time member from central FL that towed his GLHS to many of our early events. He was an older fellow and sold his car a few years ago. David Salamone of Positive Impressions, from Jacksonville, has driven to many of our events and still drives to Carlisle PA on occasion also.

But it is all a matter of perspective. For your point #2 above, what you mean is that the event isn't in your backyard. To say it is always in the same area, from your perspective, means it is north or west of the SE area of the country. Certainly the statement isn't true by itself.

From Delaware to Topeka KS, from Carlisle PA to Memphis TN, that's a huge area of the country we've covered. And BTW, we had folks that lived in Delaware, NJ, and Wash DC area that drove to Topeka KS (for both of our events there). And we have members that live in California that have driven to our events even when they are in the east. Johnny from Oregon has driven to a number of our events in recent years. And we frequently see guys from Alberta Canada at our events (as well as Ontario and other provinces). Many of these folks are driving more than 2000 miles one way.

The thing is, unless you experience our event for yourself, you have no idea what you are missing.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

turbo addict

FWIW I'm saying that not just generally going to a SDAC but specifically going to one at that location is worth it.

turbo addict

Chris and I were at the last Detroit one. We took a wrong turn (stupid gps) and ended up in a "ruff" part of the city.
    So ruff we were a little more than "oh crap".... are we going to live through this?

Even this ^^^. will give us a memory we will NEVER forget!!
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Nice one Johnny....
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Saving my nickles & dimes to go this year. It'll be a trek, hopefully within a long 1 day drive.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Buying a GLHS was your excuse last year. Won't fly this time.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Buying a GLHS was your excuse last year. Won't fly this time.
    Unless he is buying another one!?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor

Johnny......I did the same thing after the grocery store close and went to a "party store" several blocks off the main drag.........Scary as hell.

Hybrid booster

Barry. At the last Meet in the Motor City I was living 45 minutes from World Headquarters and sitting and chatting with you at the Museum and meeting many Members and the memories are still very strong. Now however I find myself in a different part of this country and 850 miles away. AAARRRGGGHHHH, WHAT TAH DO? WHAT TAH DO? HUMMM? Jer

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarneycars View Post
    Barry. At the last Meet in the Motor City I was living 45 minutes from World Headquarters and sitting and chatting with you at the Museum and meeting many Members and the memories are still very strong. Now however I find myself in a different part of this country and 850 miles away. AAARRRGGGHHHH, WHAT TAH DO? WHAT TAH DO? HUMMM? Jer

Get that purple truck back and drive it up here!!! Last year tied the record(I believe), at 5 trucks. Let's get more here this year!!!

Of course, I say that, and mine is still sitting in the garage broken, while I work on the new engine/trans combo...

I certainly hope it's finished before SDAC 27, or I'll be driving the Daytona, which isn't entirely bad either...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast