Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sdac 27?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Sdac 27?

I hate to be a pain, but it's that time of year where I need to make plans. Most of the time, SDAC is announced and it's just too late for me to arrange on short notice. (am I the only one?) I also live in Wyoming so it's usually a big deal for me to attend.

Work has been slow here lately thanks to the economy and coal/oil industry tanking. I might have all of June off and my boss is taking July off. But, I would have a cool car to bring (not the CSRT).

turbo addict

Re: Sdac 27?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...?81070-Sdac-27!!

I'm pretty sure the idea is the dates will be the traditional weekend after father's day unless something changes, which I don't see happening this late.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

The dates are confirmed, but the venue is not.
    June 24-27

https://www.facebook.com/groups/shel...2240627845501/

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    But, I would have a cool car to bring (not the CSRT).
    So once again I'll probably be the only one with a CSRT.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    You might be the only one there at all if we only find out where it is the week before!

Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    There were actually a couple CSRTs at the Wisconsin SDAC, both orange including mine. But yeah, I have something else brewing that I think people will like/find more interesting.

But I gotta say the CSRT has been dead nuts reliable and a great road tripper.

Mine was great for the trip last year. But right now I'm hearing this rattle that to me sounds like it could be the timing chain, although I'm not sure what that would actually sound like, and the engine itself only has about 50k on it. The timing set looks like more than I have the skill or time for, so I'm checking a few places to see what they'd charge for the job.

Really stupid that they couldn't just put a belt on it . . .

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

The location was announced today to the people on the SDAC Email List. News letters are next.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    The location was announced today to the people on the SDAC Email List. News letters are next.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post

Not to sound silly, but why is the location such a hugesecret? Wouldn’t the national club want as manyattendees as possible?

Thanks!
    Dave

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by djm3452004 View Post

Not to sound silly, but why is the location such a hugesecret? Wouldn’t the national club want as manyattendees as possible?

Thanks!
    Dave

Membership has it's privileges. It's only $30 a year to be a paid SDAC member and support the group. SDAC lets SDAC members know first. Seems reasonable to me.

Just like being a paid member of this forum. The help and knowledge I have gained from this site is worth 1000X the yearly fee. Well worth it in my opinion...

It will be made public in a couple of weeks.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Not to sound silly, but why is the location such a huge secret? Wouldn’t the national club want as many attendees as possible?
    It is not meant to be a secret, it is just that our members get the word first, as a courtesy to them.

The event is actually the "annual convention" for SDAC members. While the club enjoys a presence here on TM, the vast majority of TM members, visitors, and guests, are not SDAC members (unfortunately).

The club policy to let members get the news first dates back to before TM or any other forum existed. We always notified the members via newsletter, then we took out ads in the major Mopar magazines to announce it to the public.

So while we can today benefit from the "instant" public announcement via the internet, our members are the primary focus of our business. And BTW, the vast majority of the folks that actually attend our annual event are SDAC members, but everyone is invited to attend and is welcome at our event.

Barry

86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'm already making plans based on the location. This is going to be a great year. The best one ever? Yes, it will be.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Membership has it's privileges. It's only $30 a year to be a paid SDAC member and support the group. SDAC lets SDAC members know first. Seems reasonable to me.

Just like being a paid member of this forum. The help and knowledge I have gained from this site is worth 1000X the yearly fee. Well worth it in my opinion...

It will be made public in a couple of weeks.

Whatever... I joined years ago, got 1 newsletter and that was it. Not even a renewal notice. Sorry, but I'm not working that hard to join a club or give my money away. I donate here to offset the cost of keeping this site up as I use it quite often...probably should check to see if its renewal time, I always forget...

Garrett booster

I'm going to chime in here because I feel like it. I've gone to a few SDAC national events. I've always had fun. I'd like to have that fun every year. But I can't. Why? Because I can't plan on it being in the same location each year. Even the dates, although normally the same, change once in a while. Its often said that those putting the event on need as many attendees possible to help offset the cost of holding the event. Why not make it easy for anyone and everyone to count on attending this event? It will pay off.

I've heard some folks say they like new locations so they don't get bored of the same scenery year after year. That sounds good, but how often do folks not attend because its in a new location that they can't travel to and from in the time suitable to them on short notice?

I like change, but even more, I like being able to depend on certain things. Annual events are some of them. I play competitive volleyball tournaments throughout the year (indoors and out). I can tell you which tournaments I'm playing, where they are, and when they are year after year. I go to cars shows like Mopars in the Park, Back to the 50s, Car Craft, Cars n Coffee, etc year after year. I know when they are every year. I can actually plan my year(s) around those events.

To top it off, guess what all of those events have in common??? They get bigger and better every year! Bigger means more money. Eventually, it can mean a larger venue. But nonetheless, they get bigger.

My rant is over. I've explained my opinion to some key members before this. I don't think it will change the SDAC way, but maybe eventually it will.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrbexhaust View Post
    I'm going to chime in here because I feel like it. I've gone to a few SDAC national events. I've always had fun. I'd like to have that fun every year. But I can't. Why? Because I can't plan on it being in the same location each year. Even the dates, although normally the same, change once in a while. Its often said that those putting the event on need as many attendees possible to help offset the cost of holding the event. Why not make it easy for anyone and everyone to count on attending this event? It will pay off.

I've heard some folks say they like new locations so they don't get bored of the same scenery year after year. That sounds good, but how often do folks not attend because its in a new location that they can't travel to and from in the time suitable to them on short notice?

I like change, but even more, I like being able to depend on certain things. Annual events are some of them. I play competitive volleyball tournaments throughout the year (indoors and out). I can tell you which tournaments I'm playing, where they are, and when they are year after year. I go to cars shows like Mopars in the Park, Back to the 50s, Car Craft, Cars n Coffee, etc year after year. I know when they are every year. I can actually plan my year(s) around those events.

To top it off, guess what all of those events have in common??? They get bigger and better every year! Bigger means more money. Eventually, it can mean a larger venue. But nonetheless, they get bigger.

My rant is over. I've explained my opinion to some key members before this. I don't think it will change the SDAC way, but maybe eventually it will.
    Your points have logic to them.
    On the other hand, if not for SDAC changing locations, I may never have seen Beale St, Walter P. Chrysler Museum or enjoyed an authentic Chicago deep dish pizza.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

I enjoy the different locales every year, but I love road trips. I love an excuse to pack a car and drive to a new part of the country. And part of the reason I love living in southeast Nebraska is that I'm fairly centered in the country, so north-south-east-west really make no difference. Give me a good navigator, a travel mug of coffee, and some snacks for the road and let's hit it! And now that I'm approaching my tenth year at my job, I have enough vacation time accrued to really stretch it out, especially with the usual dates being so close to the 4th of July paid holidays. Starting my vacation on the 23rd, I don't have to be back to work for a full two weeks.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I hate to turn this thread negative, but I feel a need to defend the SDAC Board, so they don't have to.

To all you non-paying whiners out there who think it's unfair you get left in the dark for a week or two, let me explain something to you. SDAC is a not for profit enthusiast car club. Nobody on the Board gets paid to do their job. In fact, running a club like SDAC is one of the most thankless jobs there is. Every one of them has a full time job & family outside of SDAC. They do it for the love of the cars & people, not to please a small group of cheap-@sses who think $30 a year is too much to ask. I used to run a car club, so I know how thankless it is. 10% of the people do 90% of the work. You are constantly griped at for not having enough events, then when you plan an event, the membership whines because they think you should have done more. But none of those whiners ever step up to help plan an event, or volunteer to help run it when it happens. They all want something for nothing. Part of the reason I quit trying to run one...

So far, I've only had the pleasure of attending 2 SDAC's. One as a spectator, and last year as a participant. I thought both were well run, and had an absolute blast last year(even with the 95+ degree weather). I look forward to attending this years event.

Comparing an SDAC Convention to something like the Car Craft Nationals, isn't even remotely fair. They have big-time Corporate sponsors to help them along. You want to turn SDAC conventions into a show like that? Then step up to the plate and help them get those big money sponsors.... Oh, wait, you can't (or won't) do that? Then don't complain about what it is.... We get sponsorship from the vendors that support our cars, and I have bought products from every one of them.

To JT, Dave, Barry, MB, and all the others who put countless hours into SDAC, THANK YOU for what you do. As a former car club President, I know it isn't easy, and I don't envy you in the least. Been there, done that. I think you guys do a great job keeping the fire alive in us FWD Mopar owners. I don't own a "Shelby" vehicle, but I have always felt welcomed & included when I attend an SDAC get together, and that means the world to me. Keep up the good work, and I'll see you all in June....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

I re read this thread twice now, and I don't see anyone whining about anything. Someone put their suggestion in on what they would like to see or what might make it better. that's it. I complained about my past membership. Nothing is ever ventured or gained without feedback from potential attendees. Nobody is bashing anything related to the how SDAC 27 is being run or the people in charge. I happen to agree that it would be cool if it was in the same place every year with the same date. But if that is not how they want to do it or that's how the majority want it, that's cool too. It is already too late for me to plan anything other than the wedding I have to attend if it's the same weekend unless it happens to be in my back yard and I can sneak away to some of it....but I don't know where it's at.

You want a thankless job? Try being the state adviser for the Richard Petty fan club from 1975- 1985. Or try running a competitive travel softball organization with 9 teams by yourself and deal with 110 sets of parents on a daily basis....lovely stuff. Everyone knows that 90% of the work is done by 10% or less of the people in a non profit organization.

Your post made a mountain out of a mole hill.

Hybrid booster

Looks like it will be a bit to far for me this year.

good luck there guys.
    cant wait too see the pics.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast