Thread: Master cylinder repair kits

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Master cylinder repair kits

Before I throw in the towel and buy a new MC i am willing to (most likely) waste the $25 to aquire a repair kit on the probably less than 50% chance my existing MC is not internally pitted. With that though has anyone here purchased the Wagner kit P/N MK116612 and can say one way or another if its decent or just chinese garbage to avoid ?
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Master cylinder repair kits

I would just get a new master cylinder. Rockauto sells new master cylinders priced similar for what the repair kit cost. Why fool around?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

boostaholic

Agreed. Just buy a new one.

turbo addict

Craig I've refurbished/resealed many Chrysler MC over the years. I quit buying Cardone rebuilds when time after time the so called rebuilt was in far worse shape than the one I was replacing! Like you said if the bore is okay and not corroded, you can easily throw in a reseal kit and be like new again. Certainly only takes a few minutes to tear them down and inspect. It is such a crapshoot when ordering a new MC, you sometimes get an aluminum unit, and other times get a cast iron unit that looks like it came right out of 1965. Terrible casting and hardly looks original. I have found it doesn't seem to matter what they say it's made out of until you open the box. Last successfully purchased aluminum 7/8" bore "new" MC came from Car Quest (Advance) it took them 3 tries to get an aluminum one, and it looked great but made in China. Working good though. Fortunately, I have a very good Car Quest manager that will go the extra mile for me.
    Todd

To address the question. In this case I would prefer to keep the original MC for aesthetics in that it does not rust and I have this really massivly huge aversion to the 'made in china' factor.

That all aside..

I pulled the MC off and found it is an original chrysler MC but probably not the original from 1987, its got a 94 casting on it. The bore looks immaculate and the reservoir and rubber sealing grommets cleaned up nicely so I'll try a refurbish kit and see what shows up.

I dont spend much with the local stores since the quality of replacement parts has taken such a dump in the last decade, they only seem to stock/sell the cheapest of the cheap crap anymore. So I dont have much an 'inn' anymore with ordering something multiple times and returning it when its not what I wanted.

New master cylinders give you a warning when they start going bad. My experience from many years ago is that rebuilds just fail with no warning. Maybe if you do it yourself it will be ok. If you know exactly what you are doing....... Do you fell lucky? is the question. If you do, maybe practice pulling the emergency brake when a passenger yells stop. That is all the warning you will get if it fails.
    The shop where I worked would let a customer walk before we would install a rebuilt mc.

Master cylinder kit arrived. Older stock USA made parts

I would trust it as much or more than a new chinese MC.