Thread: 1984-85 Chrysler Laser Turbo

Mitsu booster

1984-85 Chrysler Laser Turbo

Date: 11th February 2017
    Username: cm108kgh
    City, State, Zip: Los Angeles, CA
    Selling or Wanted Price: Negotiable

Hello all,

When I was a kid, my father had a Chrysler Laser. It was actually the first car I was ever in, on the way home from the hospital after I was born. Now that I'm older I'd like to buy one and replicate his car.

My father's car was:

1984 Chrysler Laser XE
    Black
    Turbo
    Manual
    Black leather interior
    Digital gauges and voice alert

I'd like to find one as close to this spec as possible. I'm located in SoCal but would be willing to ship the right car from anywhere. I'm not in a hurry to buy, just putting a feeler out there. Thanks!

Hybrid booster

Re: 1984-85 Chrysler Laser Turbo

I haven't seen a Laser in many, many moons. I know where there is an 84-85 Daytona for sale. Looks to be in excellent shape. It is now in the persons back yard for the winter. Would have to wait till spring to take a look at it.

turbo addict

A guy a few years ago had a loaded 85-86 XE at the Mopars in the Park show for sale in MPLS, MN. He just had the leather front seats all redone and they looked and smelled perfect (lol). This was a red with black turbo 5 spd vehicle. Had digital dash IIRC. Had fresh paint on it too. He was asking if I recall correctly around $5000. Car was pretty nice. Just needed a couple emblems reinstalled. I believe the car was from the sunbelt originally. I think I still have his name & phone # somewhere. LMK if you want to pursue.
    Todd

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I'm local to you CM, I'll keep an eye out 'Round these parts BTW the Local SDAC club members meet every First Thursday of the month at Applebees LaHabra, 1238 Imperial Highway at Beach Blvd, 830 PM. You're welcome to join while you search for the Laser. I know a guy that has/had what you seek but in Maroon, lemme ask if he still has it. He's a multiple TM owner and I haven't seen it in years but he has lots of cars I haven't seen in years

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Sent you a private mail with the guys contact info. Hope you know how to access it. Good luck!
    Todd

Garrett booster

https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/5997102024.html
    Well, not the right color...but it LOOKS pretty nice! (NOT MINE)!

Mitsu booster

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone.

As it turns out a black Laser was re-listed near me recently. It's close to what I want, except automatic. How hard is it to convert these cars to manual?

I'm more familiar with Hondas and this is something I've seen done quite a bit in the Honda world.

turbo addict

It certainly can be done, but it is a fair amount of work. You might have a difficult time locating all the necessary parts, afterall, these cars are 30+ years old now. You would be better off IMO, getting a newer a523 tranny 91+. They are much more durable than the a525 that came in the 84-86 Lasers. Matching shifter and cables would also be needed for the a523 tranny transplant. Axles are different, Obviously flywheel, clutch, PP. TOB, clutch cable, brake and clutch pedal, maybe brake switch. Probably vehicle speed sensor (VSS) too. The manual tranny vehicles also had a rear tranny mount (welded to the crossmember). The logic module is slightly different, but vehicle will run just fine with the auto LM. You will probably also have to change to the smaller Bosch starter. Slight wiring differences in the positive cable for back up lights, etc.
    If it were me, I would keep searchin for a manual tranny car.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 02-20-2017 at 10:59 PM.

The one he is talking about is exceptional tho Todd, If I were looking for that model CM, that's the one. The trans swap is doable once you find the donor car. It is a fair amount of work but to restore a rough Laser to this condition is 10X as much work IMO.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

turbo addict

Certainly doable, but a fair amount of work. "If" you get the Laser for a decent price, "and" can find another doner vehicle, and can do the transplant "yourself", I could see it. Otherwise you will be really upside down on a project like this. You will have far more $ into it than it will ever be worth to anyone else. Years ago a guy local to me had a very nice 40K mile 85 Daytona Z. Took him like a year to get $1500 for it. 5 spd car too. Another guy was given a 16K mile 86 Daytona auto car from his Mother In-Law. Couldn't sell it for $2K, so he just used it as a daily driver. I worked on it a few times when he had electrical problems. It was sad to see that one deteriorate. Remember Tom Hands 84 gunmetal blue laser that was for sale a few years ago? That car looked like it was in amazing condition. He probably still has it. Think it went unsold for around $5K. If it wasn't an 84, I might have bought it. I guess my point is, there are creampuff cars out there that pop up for sale every now and then. Just need to have some patience until the car that you desire becomes available.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    The one he is talking about is exceptional tho Todd, If I were looking for that model CM, that's the one. The trans swap is doable once you find the donor car. It is a fair amount of work but to restore a rough Laser to this condition is 10X as much work IMO.
    After seeing the car this weekend, this is my thought as well. It was owned long term by one owner and the condition reflects that. Southern California car its whole life, no rust. The original build sheet was still in the spare tire compartment.

I'm fine with enjoying the car as an automatic for a while while I source manual parts. I just need some 80s cassette tapes.

Cons:

- D/S rear window was busted out (Original owner's grandson inherited the car after he passed and seemed like a sketchy individual. Current sellers were friendly and treating the car with care though). I'm seeing replacement glass is readily available for the 87-93 Daytona - will this fit?

- Engine wiring harness looked like it had been broken and poorly repaired. There was some soldering and electrical tape.

- Fan would not cycle on and had to be manually connected to the battery before driving the car. Looks like a wiring harness issue as well.

- Close to 130,000 miles.

- D/S power window motor going out.

I did not get around to talking about a price. They are asking $3500. The car was previously listed for $2800. Thoughts on a fair value?

Mitsu booster

Well, it's mine now!

And so it begins...

Mitsu booster

could i have all the contact info sent to me privately for any laser/ daytonas for sale? I will buy any in great shape
    thanks