Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fayetteville Dragway, moved to 2/19/2017 Test&Tune. MeanMini Record attempt take 2.

Garrett booster

Re: Fayetteville Dragway, moved to 2/19/2017 Test&Tune. MeanMini Record attempt take

There is a reason Terry held the record for so long. It's hard to get everything to work just perfect. Perfect weather, perfect track, and the driver not screwing up. The last part screwed me more than anything. I had the same setup on the van (basically) for 2 or 3 years. It was just a matter of getting everything right. I don't know how many days I went to the track only to have a windy day and run 11.8's with a 20mph headwind. 😡 Stick with it Wayne, I have a ton of bugs to work out with my new setup, along with working on the tune, so I doubt I'll be running any record passes till maybe / hopefully mid to late 2017 racing season.

BTW little bit of bad news, that comes from good news. I don't know if I'll be able to make SDAC. I'm starting a new job tomorrow and I didn't want to ask for time off during the interview. Figured give it maybe a month or two and I'll ask for the time off. But it's a union job so I have no idea how that's going to work. 👎🏼😞

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Fayetteville Dragway, moved to 2/19/2017 Test&Tune. MeanMini Record attempt take

So, here's the update...

I had to adjust my gvalve since the last time out i was at the limit of its adjustment. Because i had to disassemble it and stretch the spring, i no longer had a reference. I tried to set it to act like before messing with it (i bench checked and tried to adjust to the same point with the stretched spring). It was set too low.
    I hastily checked my head stud torque before leaving, and forgot to reconnect a vacuum line i disconnected.
    I got some extra fuel at the pump because my tank was showing 1/4, and i put in 2.8gals, and knew i needed a couple gals of racegas at the track. I decided to put 3 gals of 112, in case i needed to up my boost, and somehow after all that my tank was showing nearly FULL! I should have been at 1/2 tank or just over.

So, it wasn't the best time, but it wasn't the worst. Didn't ever clock in the 11's.

Here's the best time of the day:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1487566641463.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	60147
    This was with 23.9psi boost, a couple psi short of what i wanted.
    Last edited by wheming; 02-20-2017 at 01:20 AM.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

If nothing else, it's more practice. A little more boost, a little warmer track and a little less headwind and you'll have it.

I love how 12.0 in a van is disappointing. :-)

Nice work, Wayne. She's scooting along well.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

It was like 75, and a bit windy in a bad way. Wind was coming across the track that was like making a diagonal line from the front passenger corner to the drivers rear corner, so mostly a headwind.

The track was really grippy, as for my first run with the vacuum line off it felt like i launched in second gear it was so sluggish. I actually thought i broke, so i stopped just after the 60' and checked to make sure i wasn't leaking anything. (I wasn't ). It was hard to walk on!

I don't think i was spinning off the line on any of my runs.
    For my last run i switched cals for on with altered launch settings and it was a better 60, with a 1.81 but still not what i was looking for. I never did try 12psi in my slicks like i planned. Since i wasn't spinning, i felt like the shorter tire would probably hurt overall.

I was happy to recover a bit, but it was a bit disappointed more in myself, for my foolish changes. If i hadn't have removed my entire exhaust to save 30lbs, i could have road tested my boost control. And racing with nearly a full tank now, totally negated that weight savings and then some!

Here were the other slips, don't think i posted all of them:

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1487611529228.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	60148

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1487611624862.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	60149
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123