Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1982 Charger build

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: 1982 Charger build

Hard to tell what is actually hitting, is it the compressor housing or exhaust on the booster? You may get a bit of clearance by clocking the compressor housing so the outlet volute is positioned differently.
    Depending on what you are doing for an intercooler, like a front mount, you could have an elbow welded to the compressor to make that outlet point where you need.
    The center section of the turbo might need to be clocked more also so you have your oil return positioned properly. I don't know how much angle they ok in the installation guidelines.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

So I took a billion measurements, tried flipping the turbo around in different configurations, and the same issues came up....not enough room for the exhaust, or it hit the brake master cylinder, or the wg would be in the way of the exhaust, or the air intake would be against the master cylinder. Every way I turned it, another issue, even figuring in removing the booster. Arrrrgggg... so manifold is now up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Hard to tell what is actually hitting, is it the compressor housing or exhaust on the booster? You may get a bit of clearance by clocking the compressor housing so the outlet volute is positioned differently.
    Depending on what you are doing for an intercooler, like a front mount, you could have an elbow welded to the compressor to make that outlet point where you need.
    The center section of the turbo might need to be clocked more also so you have your oil return positioned properly. I don't know how much angle they ok in the installation guidelines.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rdnoel86 View Post
    So I took a billion measurements, tried flipping the turbo around in different configurations, and the same issues came up....not enough room for the exhaust, or it hit the brake master cylinder, or the wg would be in the way of the exhaust, or the air intake would be against the master cylinder. Every way I turned it, another issue, even figuring in removing the booster. Arrrrgggg... so manifold is now up for sale.
    Ever thought about relocating the master cylinder? You could use a Wilwood setup like this: http://www.wilwood.com/Pedals/PedalL... / Brake Pedal and mount it to the floor. That would free up all kinds of space where you need it.

Maybe you don't want to go that route, just offering a suggestion....

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

If this is an all-out drag car, you could do away with power brakes.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Ever thought about relocating the master cylinder? You could use a Wilwood setup like this: http://www.wilwood.com/Pedals/PedalL... / Brake Pedal and mount it to the floor. That would free up all kinds of space where you need it.

Maybe you don't want to go that route, just offering a suggestion....
    Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    If this is an all-out drag car, you could do away with power brakes.
    Always looking for suggestions and input! Even with the manual master cylinder or a remote master cylinder I would still have an issue with the firewall and or waste gate location having to be modified.

Always looking for suggestions and input! Even with the manual master cylinder or a remote master cylinder I would still have an issue with the firewall and or waste gate location having to be modified.
    I am using a good top-mount header and I have no complaints. To me, it would seem the side-mount header on an L-body would unnecessarily take up precious under-hood space.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

My thought process was to have the turbo out in an accessible spot for ease of maintenance and to make the hot side pipe an easy short run to the intercooler without many bends. The newer versions seem to be extended out quite a bit more which may or may not of helped in my case. If I would of put more thought into it, the top mount is perfect for my car as far as turbo placement. With my current hood or the cowl induction fiberglass hood I'm debating on getting, the turbo would set in an area that would have more room and get some fresh air.

Hybrid booster

Super cool build. Got a nice Big Daddy 2.4 going on there.

Still haven't totally made a decision on turbo placement. I did go ahead and remove the brake booster and I am converting to manual brakes. I decided to change to manual to not have to worry about vacuum leaks, it will lighten the car up 5 lbs and create some more room in that area. Plus a manual master cylinder was only 12.00 at Rock Auto. After I get that done we will see where we are. I have to make a plate for the master cylinder. Just an fyi, the diagram in the knowledge center for that adapter plate are not he same as on an l-body, at least on mine. My holes are much farther apart.

I think I found another area I can reduce some weight in....

I don't believe I need that much bumper...at least I hope not.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170225_171909.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	60187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170225_171901.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	60188  

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I think I found another area I can reduce some weight in....

I don't believe I need that much bumper...at least I hope not.....
    Put an ad up for one from a Shelby Charger. They were aluminum instead of steel. That will save you a bunch of weight...

Your right. What really sucks is that I have owned 10 Shelby Chargers and when I downsized to just this car, I got rid of everything...including stacks of parts and trim pieces I could sorta use right now. I just had nowhere to put anything and was done renting space for stuff I wan't using.

[QUOTE=83scamp;1121561]Put an ad up for one from a Shelby Charger. They were aluminum instead of steel. That will save you a bunch of weight...[/Q

Finally, some progress. Removed the brake booster, made an adapter plate and added a new master cylinder. I also decided I wanted a different turbo...so out with the 6262 and in with the S364.5sx-e. Of course, after making the adapter, I ran across a Horizon with manual brakes. So I bought the whole assembly. I'll probably switch everything over to the stock set up. But now there is room for everything, so life is much better right now...lol. I may have to dimple the hood where the turbo sits....it will be close. Thanx for the suggestions guys!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170317_104725.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	60502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170405_182249.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	60503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170405_182237.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	60504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170405_080812.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	786.6 KB 
ID:	60505  

turbo addict

if you're still looking for clearance at the master cylinder , or to get it a little further away from the heat of the turbo , mancinni racing sells an offset mounting bracket like the hemi darts had except it's ment for our 2 bolt mastercylinders instead
    I'd think the turbo and the plastic resivor may become an issue

electric power brakes are doable - kits can be had for that

love the one piece front end - I want one badly along with the hood
    the shelby charger hood is stupidly heavy compared to my old turismo's hood

Haven't posted in a while, but it doesn't mean nothings going on!

Haven't posted in a while, but it doesn't mean nothings going on!

Sweet!!
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12