Thread: From the Shadows: 91 ES build

Mitsu booster

From the Shadows: 91 ES build

In 2014, I had acquired this car up for a decent price knowing it needed a bit of love and it had picked up a few quirks from not being driven much. Turbo leaked oil, had a wicked bad misfire once it warmed up and the engine was starting to leak in various places. But all the pieces were there and with a little TLC and a couple long weekends this car would be a sweet runner. I pulled the 2.5 T1 out of it and blew it down to the long block. Replaced the head gasket, yanked out the balance shafts (plugged the feed hole) and replaced the intermediate shaft. The intermediate shaft had broke away at the woodruff key and apparently friction kept it all from slipping. I also added an Ebay special FMIC, rebuilt the blown Mitsu turbo, swapped out injectors to address the misfire issue (injector #3 was reading 60 ohms when warm O.O) and just general clean up.

It was now ready to be my daily... smooth running, fairly reliable, cheap to insure and always made me smile when I put my right foot down. I sent my front bumper to my buddies body shop to be repaired and painted and I picked up the material to redo the sagging headliner, cosmetic touches but worth doing. I put about 500 miles on it commuting to work over the next month or so until January 2015. That is when I thought my time with this PRB Shadow had come to an end. Rear-ended by a lady texting her husband and not paying attention plowing me into the car in front of me. Fortunately, she was only going about 25 so the damage wasn't too bad to the rear, but the front met the steel bumper of a pickup and was mangled.

After weeks of dispute with her insurance co., we finally settled. I had fallen for the little red turbo turd and during the battle with GEICO, determined that I had a fairly rare P-body. I couldn't let them take it to be crushed. It was only a few days after the insurance payment that I heard the most glorious words come from my wife:

"so... it's going to be a race car now, huh?" The angels began singing and the sound of boost began wooooshing in my head!!

The mind was made up, the wife was surprisingly fine with it, and the car went under the knife!

- It has been a busy couple of years, and sadly... not car-related busy.

House was assaulted by a massive pine tree... literally smashing my master bedroom/bathroom. Fortunately, we were all at work and no one was harmed. But after 18 months of insurance shenanigans and contractor problems, the house is finally done and I can move on to the Little Red Shadow project. Two years of pulling out my hair with anticipation led to the purchase of many parts. Stay tuned to see what all is going down!!!!! This thing is going to be SICK (I hope :P)

Mitsu booster

Re: From the Shadows: 91 ES build

The first thing was to rip the motor out of the wrecked body and blow it apart again. This time, some goodies went into it. STD bore Venolia forged pistons, forged Eagle rods, new rings, main bearings, replacement seals, PT Cruiser lifter mod, and a new oil pump with modified pickup. I will be welding in a windage screen before I put the transmission back in.

To clarify a bit on this car... it is a 1991 Shadow ES 4 door sedan turbo 5 speed car, with power windows, mirrors and locks. It also has the factory center and overhead consoles I really want to build this car up and keep the consoles. 562 of these cars were made, but I still have no idea how many, or how few, are 4 door.

Pics and parts list coming soon!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I like these posts and the way you write. Welcome to TM.com

Yes, pics when you can too

BTW, I've traveled to Portland for work a few times, VooDoo doughnuts FTW!

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Rare car, I don't recall even seeing a P body with an overhead console.

Pictures, please

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

My 91 ES had an overhead console as well.
    Here is the picture of the console
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...XlxdE1keENlRW8
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the kind words and warm welcome. I have been stalking these forums and build pages for a couple years getting ideas and fuel for my brain. When you have a project that sticks in your mind for years, but are not able to do anything about, it can be agonizing. I think I have mentally built, and disassembled, and rebuilt this car 10 times and each time come up with something totally different. I am pretty sure that I know what I am going to do now, haha! This community is amazing and so full of knowledge. Also... (shameless plug) Chris from TU has been very helpful with some specific details regarding the build. So, once I figure out how to get this forum configured, i.e. signature and picture uploads, I will show you what I am working with!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The build sounds like a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    Rare car, I don't recall even seeing a P body with an overhead console.

Pictures, please
    I added one to my 94 about 10 years ago. The novelty wore off but it is handy for the semi usefull reading lights and the temperature display.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Mitsu booster

Well it has been a few days and the admins still haven't updated my ability to upload pictures. So here is a link to a pic of the car https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...TZ3LUU0NFItY2c. Also, rather than dangle the juicy steak in front of the dog... here is my plan/parts list:

Turbos Unleashed TranyBuster T3/T04 Hybrid turbo 50 trim, .43A/R
    TU turbo coolant and oil lines

2.5L common block (already done):

STD bore Venolia forged pistons, Eagle forged rods, Cometic multi-layer gasket, new oil pump with modified pickup tube, balance shaft delete, cryotreated intermediate shaft (can't have that break again) and all new gaskets

8v fast burn head (already done):

Mild port and polish, back-cut valves, stock cam (for now... we will see), beehive springs, new keepers/retainers, PT Cruiser lifters with shims

Intake: 1 piece log with gasket matched hand porting and some polishing and intake neck opened for larger TB, tapped for direct port water/meth injection, 52mm Throttle body

Exhaust: TU cast header modded for external wastegate, 3" TU swingvalve, 3" down pipe, Dynomax Race Bullet muffler, 3" manderel bent stainless exit before D/S rear tire

Fuel: Walbro 450 in-tank pump, +40 injectors, TU polished aluminum fuel rail, Accufab AFPR, 3/8 stainless hard fuel feed line, 5/16 stainless hard fuel return line (run along frame in stock location from filter to engine bay) with 6an braided lines to regulator and rail, 5an braided line from rail to return, 5an to tank. Aquamist HFS-3 PWM water/meth kit with direct injection upgrade

Tuning: I am hoping to pick Rob Loyd's brain and use some of his BoostButton goodies... I already socketed my PCM in hopes to run a flashable chip. Definitely stay tuned (haha pun very much intended). Sucks to see he has stopped working with the stuff. 3Bar MAP, Innovate WB and most likely my own cal as I have been tinkering with MPTune for a while now (again hoping to chat with Rob)

Trans: rebuilt a523 5 speed with cryotreated gearsets, OBX LSD modded by TU

Clutch/pressure plate: Turbos Unleashed 232mm stage 4 Ultimate ceramic race clutch 4 puck and matching pressure plate, new machined and lightened cast iron flywheel

Suspension: Rich Bryant's BC coilover setup for P-bodies, Poly bushings

Brakes: the good ol' SLH package... Stoptech slotted Caravan rotors, Caravan calipers and hardware, braided lines. I have all those waiting to be installed... have to source the rears which will be the rest of the SLH setup... GTP rear discs and calipers.

Wheels/Tires: Black Enkei RPF1 17x9, thinking Nitto NT01 for track days. Slicks and other wheels for drag days.

Interior: Fab up an 8pt cage, Sparco R100 seats, Takata 3" harnesses, weight reduction (but still keep it comfy).

Long winded, but finally had a chance to put down what I have been chewing on. I already have most of the parts in my shop so I need to get off my fourth point of contact and get things cleaned up for wrenching. Still have to order the suspension, clutch kit, LSD, seats and the materials for the cage. I will do my best to stay on top of updates as I get parts and install them. Oh, I have been working with making moulds and laying carbon fiber... so I MAY do a rear hatch. I wonder if anyone would be interested in carbon fiber P-body hatches/hoods........

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Nitto NT01 for track days? You mean this isn't a street and drag only build? You could count the number of RoadRace/TimeAttack/Track Experience/Chump guys here on one hand, maybe a hand and a half I'm not against drag racing, IMO it just isn't as entertaining as 20 minutes of WOT AND turns AND braking It also seems that if someone is gonna build a really fast drag car that's pretty much all it does altho that Reeves guy managed to have a streetworthy race that's spanking fast in a strait line

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Mitsu booster

Haha! I have a sickeningly sweet spot for road racing and time attack. Who knows... this may morph into a T/A monster someday. I do intend on keeping it streetable.

Mitsu booster

Well I went out into the wreck of the shop last night and snapped a couple pics of the consoles. I moved the center console out of the back seat after the pic and remembered how heavy it is. I may make a mold of the braces and brackets this weekend and lay them in reinforced fiberglass. I have no idea how that will hold up, but it may be worth a shot to save some weight and maintain some comfort.

center console (you guys have probably seen hundreds of these) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...2lEaW44RFpvVG8

overhead (these... not so much) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...HpEWXdKQzMtQlk

Mitsu booster

Found some pics of the accident carnage. The car actually did well in the rear end... it was having its nose pushed into the back of a F250 that made a mess.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...mpiYlRlVkYxRU0
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...DI3a0Fnamg2X28

Mitsu booster

Dispite the long hiatus, this project isn't dead! My wife and I recently had a baby girl and family priorities have changed. Also finished a build on a more comfortable and reliable daily driver. This winter, the Shadow goes back under the knife. I have been able to acquire some of the other parts like the seats, harnesses, TU camshaft, beefy valve springs, and a few other things. I was also able to get my shop cleaned up to finally work on things again. So stay tuned!

turbo addict

good to hear. hate for that post to be the last.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Mitsu booster

Wow, what a couple of years. I wish I had progress news on the Shadow, but alas I do not... other than this: It is FINALLY back into the shop, interior out (f*n mice ) and a box of parts to assemble my MPSciLink setup. Thanks to Chromeguy and Wowzer for lending some assistance regarding the MPSciLink stuff. So, on to the car. This weekend will be filled with some glorious sweat, swearing, beer, and I am certain some blood... all in no particular order. I have had a recent boost in motivation to work on this car again, so time to get some things done!