Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holy broken control arm Batman!!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Holy broken control arm Batman!!

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I would also recommend only doing the final torque on the control arm bolts and outer sway bar bolts after the car is sitting back down on the ground with the suspension loaded with the weight of the car if you haven't done it that way already.
    Thank you for the tip, but I'm already ahead of you on that. Marc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

almost all the cloud cars I checked in the yards a few years back had cracks in the front bushing of the control arm!

- - - Updated - - -

almost all the cloud cars I checked in the yards a few years back had cracks in the front bushing of the control arm!
    Right front side only.

boostaholic

in the bushing or the control arm itself?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    Thank you for the tip, but I'm already ahead of you on that. Marc.
    I knew you did, but for anybody finding this post in the future I thought it would be good to mention. I rebuilt the entire underside of my Omni GLH back in '04 and at the time I just didn't know any better.

This actually reminds me of just after I bought my Caliber SRT-4. Soon after I bought it (new), it started making a thumping sound in the front suspension every time I nailed the throttle. At about the same time a TSB came out about the cars not having the control arm bolts tightened properly from the factory. I took it to the dealership for the TSB and 1/2 hour later it was all fixed.

Nowadays when I rebuild a suspension, I let the car sit and settle for a while before doing the final torque on them. I let the Shelby CSX sit for about a week after rebuilding it before doing the final torque so the springs could settle since it had sat on jack stands for over a year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12